GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at a photo of a California forum members car I am wondering something. Since the car is so well designed to squeeze out every bit of efficiency and uninterrupted airflow, how much drag is caused by having a big flat license plate fastened onto the slick front bumper ? If a 5mm lip on a rear spoiler can cause a change in efficiency, it seems to me the front plate can act like a big barn door in the wind.
Does anyone know what the efficiency penalty is for this ?
Just as hybrids have HOV lane privileges, should those States consider removing their front plates in the effort to reduce fuel useage and increase range.....at least for vehicles like these of critical efficient design ? How about a large adhesive "Mylar Decal" license in the front ????

Steve in Boca Raton....no front plates in FL !

·
Registered
213 Posts
Steve, we're fortunate that we don't have to use the front plate here in Florida, regardless of the drag. Front plates look terrible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The old hyper-miler trick was to block airflow through the radiator to improve aerodynamics... the placement of the front license plate on the Volt would probably actually improve aerodynamics because it is partially blocking flow through the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
The old hyper-miler trick was to block airflow through the radiator to improve aerodynamics... the placement of the front license plate on the Volt would probably actually improve aerodynamics because it is partially blocking flow through the radiator.
The radiator grill is false (non-functioning). The air for the radiator comes from underneath the bumper as far as I know.

·
Registered
271 Posts
How to get around the Front Plate Legal Requirement in CA

OK, maybe slightly off topic, I talked to a Tesla owner here in SD yesterday who does not have a front plate installed. He said that if the cop asks you about the front plate and you show him that you have it in the car, he will let you off. Can anyone confirm this? Just in case, I be carrying my front plate in the back storage for this purpose.

·
Registered
733 Posts
"Since the car is so well designed to squeeze out every bit of efficiency and uninterrupted airflow, how much drag is caused by having a big flat license plate fastened onto the slick front bumper?"

I agree 100%. Last year I emailed the EPA here in California asking to have the front license plate law dropped. In 2005 there were 7,514,916 vehicles registered in California. Say an average of 1/2 more mile per gallon? Think about it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I figured this would be a good place to ask.....

I've got a front bracket installed and do not need it. Has anyone tried removing one yet? Just wondering how big the holes are...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I asked my dealer to leave the front bracket off, and he said "no problem", they left it in the trunk where it came with the car. It had a couple of 3/16" pop rivets in the package, so I am guessing that is the size holes you will find if you remove it.

Jerry, #536

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
OK, maybe slightly off topic, I talked to a Tesla owner here in SD yesterday who does not have a front plate installed. He said that if the cop asks you about the front plate and you show him that you have it in the car, he will let you off. Can anyone confirm this? Just in case, I be carrying my front plate in the back storage for this purpose.
It's gonna depend on the cop. $25 is the fine most mentioned on the Internet. A "fix it" ticket can cost less. My Chevy dealer does not put front plate brackets on the Corvette, and they are doing the same for the Volt. That isn't an excuse to avoid the fine, so if I am stopped I will show the plate, mention the aerodynamics and hope for the best. North Orange County has not been a problem for the XLR and it's missing front plate.

How neat it would be if the front bracket could be magnetically attached. There are parking locations in LA where a ticket for a missing front plate is almost a certainty. The ability to mount the bracket when needed could pay for itself in certain areas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How neat it would be if the front bracket could be magnetically attached. There are parking locations in LA where a ticket for a missing front plate is almost a certainty. The ability to mount the bracket when needed could pay for itself in certain areas.
You could try a tow hook license plate mount.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Word of warning if you do this and ever park on the street; I had an RX8 that I parked on the street for a while with no front plate in Santa Monica and would get a ticket pretty much weekly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I realize that this thread has not been active for a while, but here is how I am handling this in Texas.

From the TXDPS web site:
http://http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/faq_item.htm
"How many license plates am I required to display?
State law requires that you display two (2) license plates, one to the front and one to the rear. Placement or mounting of license plates is not defined."

So I am going to try putting mine on the passenger inside of the front windshield tilted up just a bit so that is shows to the front.
David

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck, I hope you are successful with that. Keep us informed of any problems or positives with that method of display. It sure would be nice if the law just ignored you altogether and you could leave the front end aerodynamically clean .

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could try a tow hook license plate mount.
I had the Dealer leave my Front Bumper undamaged by not installing the front plate. New York State Requires the Front Plate be displayed - I want to use the Tow-Hook Plate Mount similar to other cars that have the Tow-Hook-Eye-Bolt Hole covered with a Removable Square Pop-Out Button Cover. HOWEVER . . . once the cover is removed on my 2013 Volt all that is seen inside the bumper behind the little cover is the Foam Bumper Block - I can't see from the Parts List Exploded Views on the various Chevy Parts Sites any hole in the Metal Bumper Bar behind the Foam Block. Has anyone got any suggestions for using the Tow-Hook Mount on a Chevy Volt -

It is interesting that if you remove the Tire Compressor from the Trunk and look below it that you will see a Holder for the Tow-Hook-Eye Bolt - but no Eye Bolt there - Other GM Cars have a similar Bumper Cover and there is a Tow-Hook Mount Threaded into the Heavy Metal Material behind the cover. I see this same Tow-Hook Hole Bumper Cover on the 2011/2012 Volts as well - and in the trunk the similar Pocket below the Tire Compressor to hold the bolt including Foam Strips to hold it without vibration if it was to be installed in the depression.

Hopefully someone has a simple answer to not drilling / punching crude holes into the Front Bumper to mount the Front Plate on the Front of the Volt - My son kept his BMW plate in his front window and he gave up and bought a Tow-Hook Mount Plate Bracket after several Improper Front Plate Display tickets.

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
While the front plate might increase drag a little, I still like having my personalized "ONE VOLT" plates visible from both front and back. When I got my second Volt straight from the factory to California, the front bracket was not even installed, but I put it on myself.

Everyone Volt owner should have personalized plates to increase EV awareness on the road. In the long run, this increased EV awareness will probably save more gas in California than the 1/2mile or less efficiency increase.

Ron

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I would prefer not to have a front plate, but Wisconsin requires a front plate )-:

·
Administrator
20,213 Posts
I want to use the Tow-Hook Plate Mount similar to other cars that have the Tow-Hook-Eye-Bolt Hole covered with a Removable Square Pop-Out Button Cover. HOWEVER . . . once the cover is removed on my 2013 Volt all that is seen inside the bumper behind the little cover is the Foam Bumper Block - I can't see from the Parts List Exploded Views on the various Chevy Parts Sites any hole in the Metal Bumper Bar behind the Foam Block. Has anyone got any suggestions for using the Tow-Hook Mount on a Chevy Volt
See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?18935-Chevy-Volt-Tow-Truck-Guide&p=216416#post216416

·
Registered
7 Posts
The dealer removed by front license plate bracket and plugged it for me. The matched the color very nice. Now I'm left with the front bracket. Anyone want it. Otherwise I'll toss it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's gonna depend on the cop. $25 is the fine most mentioned on the Internet. A "fix it" ticket can cost less. My Chevy dealer does not put front plate brackets on the Corvette, and they are doing the same for the Volt. That isn't an excuse to avoid the fine, so if I am stopped I will show the plate, mention the aerodynamics and hope for the best. North Orange County has not been a problem for the XLR and it's missing front plate.

A magnetic one would be cool providing you could secure it so that someone doesn't decide to walk off with it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts