1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
310 Posts
Note this quote in the article: "Other new Model 3 vehicles ready for delivery were spotted at Tesla’s Fremont factory."

So these are factory units not yet placed in the hands of owners.

Once they are, the owners have 90 days in California to obtain and post plates on front and back while the dealer sales slip must be posted in the front right lower portion of the windshield.

The Chevy Bolt EV is typically delivered without the license plate holder attached to the car (at least mine was not attached) and the dealer will attach it when the plates are delivered.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Depends on the state. If the state doesn't require a front plate there's no reason to install the plate holder.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Depends on the state. If the state doesn't require a front plate there's no reason to install the plate holder.
Given Red-light cameras and the such, it would surprise me that some states do not require them. Then again, I thought the red-light camera law in California, as implemented was unconstitutional, but the state supreme court thought otherwise!

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
California requires front plates, and automakers must make front brackets available for sale or for free.

However, much like side window tint or texting while driving, it is not enforced much. Many owners of sports cars do not run front plates, especially if they block the radiator openings.

Not sure how many gallons of fuel California wastes a year with this policy, but a flat plate on the nose of car harms aero pretty good since it disrupts the airflow pattern engineered into the car. And a flat plate has terrible aero to begin with.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Not sure how many gallons of fuel California wastes a year with this policy, but a flat plate on the nose of car harms aero pretty good since it disrupts the airflow pattern engineered into the car. And a flat plate has terrible aero to begin with.
If you make a sticker version of your license plate and then stick it in front of the car where it can't disrupt the original airflow, will it be allowed?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
If you make a sticker version of your license plate and then stick it in front of the car where it can't disrupt the original airflow, will it be allowed?
It must the plate that California sends to you. Duplicates are not allowed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I noticed that in many pictures of TM3, there are no license plates in the front, only in the back. Is this legally allowed in California?

Here's sample of pictures in Electrek, I think I only saw one with a license plate in the front. Even brand new cars in the dealer lots have at least a license plate holders in their cars.

https://electrek.co/2017/09/11/tesla-model-3-deliveries-employees-and-insiders-customer-deliveries/
You live in CA and don't know the law? The law requires a front license plate.

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
California requires front plates, and automakers must make front brackets available for sale or for free.
My daughter's Subaru Crosstrek did not come with front brackets. There were two little dimples in the front plastic bumper and the dealer drilled and screwed holes into those dimples to attach the plate directly to the vehicle. Subaru doesn't make a front plate holder, so I had to find some obscure website where someone makes and sells license place brackets specifically designed for the Crosstrek and Impreza. It screws into the existing holes as well as uses 3M tape to hold itself securely to the bumper. It looks as look as a factory fitted license plate bracket - I'm just surprised Subaru doesn't make one.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
My daughter's Subaru Crosstrek did not come with front brackets. There were two little dimples in the front plastic bumper and the dealer drilled and screwed holes into those dimples to attach the plate directly to the vehicle. Subaru doesn't make a front plate holder, so I had to find some obscure website where someone makes and sells license place brackets specifically designed for the Crosstrek and Impreza. It screws into the existing holes as well as uses 3M tape to hold itself securely to the bumper. It looks as look as a factory fitted license plate bracket - I'm just surprised Subaru doesn't make one.
They make one - they just don't sell it aftermarket for people who purchase Subarus in states that don't require front plates who then register them in states requiring front plates. At least GM acknowledges people move.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It all depends on what state/province you live in as to whether a front licence plate is required or not. It is the responsibility of the car owner to know that information. New vehicle manufacturer's often do not have license plates on promotional vehicles.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts

However, much like side window tint or texting while driving, it is not enforced much. Many owners of sports cars do not run front plates, especially if they block the radiator openings.

Other than looks front plates don't impact either cooling or aerodynamics. Cars cooling systems are way over engineered because designers know they will get clogged with ice and mud. As for aerodynamics the front plate simply doesn't impact that much because the air is already flowing around the car. Front plates tend to be sitting at an angle to help the air flow of them without piling up. The do add a small amount of turbulence on the leading edge of the air flow. Turbulence here isn't nearly as big a deal as turbulence on the rear of the car where it actually adds drag to the vehicle.

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
Quick quiz: Prior to his death, how did Steve Jobs get away with not having plates on his car during his years after he returned to Apple?
He leased a new vehicle every 90 days, identical to the ones he had. In Cali, there is some obscure law that didn't require plates for that specific situation. I'm guessing it was to give time for the leasign company to obtain the plates and get them to the person leasing the car, but Steve Jobs abused it by getting a new car each time. The leasing company also re-leased of sold the cars previously driven by Steve to other folks who wanted to be able to say their car was previously driven by Steve Jobs.

Somewhere in the city where I work, there is an AMG Mercedes previously owned by Jimmy John. Of course Jimmy John has a fleet of supercars at his corporate headquarters.

Another quiz: before the Jimmy Johns headquarters installed a digital sign, what did the previous printed sign say below their company name?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Couldn't he just sell and then immediately re-buy the same car back and forth with the dealer every 6 months? I guess with his money, who cares? At least it would keep his radio pre-sets programmed. For that matter, why would he care about not getting a license plate? It probably wasn't to avoid the cost of registering the car. Was it a personal security measure?

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
Couldn't he just sell and then immediately re-buy the same car back and forth with the dealer every 6 months? I guess with his money, who cares? At least it would keep his radio pre-sets programmed. For that matter, why would he care about not getting a license plate? It probably wasn't to avoid the cost of registering the car. Was it a personal security measure?
I bought my vehicle in a state that requires license plates in the front. So are you saying the car dealership ripped me off? I shouldn't have had to purchase my own front plate holder?

·
Registered
310 Posts
For that matter, why would he care about not getting a license plate? It probably wasn't to avoid the cost of registering the car. Was it a personal security measure?
The cost of registering is paid at the time of closing the lease.

Many speculated it was a security issue. His biographer never really clarified it.

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
The cost of registering is paid at the time of closing the lease.

Many speculated it was a security issue. His biographer never really clarified it.
I thought it was written somewhere that he didn't like how the license plate ruined the look of the car, so we found a way to not have to carry a license plate. Heck, if you are a multimillionaire, why not?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts