GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
20,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front license bracket is normally attached with steel pop rivets, I wanted something that could be removed if needed but is still firmly attached. My local Chevy dealer was happy to supply 4 push pins that work like a pop rivet, but can be removed by pulling the expansion pin out.

The rear license frame had the Chevy bow-tie, but also the selling dealer's name and phone number. So I used my grinder to erase the letters and numbers, used a fine toothed file to smooth out the grind marks, and finished with some red rubbing compound and elbow grease. Call me frugal, but I am happy with the result and it only took 5 minutes. No, that's not my real license number.

My all weather floor and cargo mats have a nice Volt logo on them, so I decided to make them match my white console and steering wheel trim. I used PlastiDip's liquid Create Your Own Color ordered via Ace Hdwr and applied several coats using a mini, low nap paint roller (cut in half) from Home Depot. I don't know how long the white lettering will last, but then again I have 90% of the PlastiDip left. :)

cargomat.jpg VoltMat.jpg FrontLicenseHolder.jpg LicenseBracketInstalled.jpg RearFLicFrame.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice work on the floor mats, looks very sharp.

Anyone done any custom work on the front and back Chevy bow-ties? I find the gold bow-ties a bit cheesy, and had been wondering about changing them for silver versions or something once I get the car. The dealer told me some guys have painted the gold Chevy bow-ties on their trucks black...any ideas?

·
Registered
912 Posts

·
Administrator
20,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next, I'm thinking about something like this for either the bow tie or the hatch window.

There are a number of vinyl lettering shops online that could probably create what I want from a file I provide with either a red like the taillights or a gray similar to the Cyber Gray. Possible a back printed clear overlay for the bow tie, or simple vinyl letters for the hatch glass. Either could easily be removed if needed. The font is Pirulen (similar to the squared sans serif font used for the Volt emblem), but modified in Adobe Illustrator to create the slanted outline font for the bow tie and saved in an EPS format.

ElectricBowTie.jpg ElectricBowTieClose.jpg ElectricWindow.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts