GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a quick question for you all out there.

The Volt only has 9012 headlight bulb. From my research, this bulb is very similar to a 9006 bulb, and the connector should be the same. The 9006 is a single filament bulb not a dual filament bulb like some bulbs.

So my question is how does the Volt get both low beams and high beams from one lamp?
The options in my mind are:
1) Adjust the power output from the single lamp - so provide 55w for high beams, and some lower amount for low beams. The beam pattern in this case would remain the same.
2) Is there a retractable shade as shown in the picture below. When the low beams are activated - there is a sharp cutoff as determined by the shade. When the high beams are activated - the shade retracts. In this case the output wattage is kept the same yet the beam pattern would change.

I think I hear the servo or solenoid activate, but can't tell for sure. Thanks for your input.
(I am considering changing the bulbs out to HID bulbs with ballasts - If there was a retractable shade - this would make life much easier)

Thanks
rtmey2000
Volt 697

·
Registered
472 Posts
I added Hi/Lo HID's in my XB that had a solonoid that adjusted a shade as you mentioned. If you have a single filiment buld this is probably what is going on. I would say go stand by your headlight and have someone switch on the brights. If you hear a click noise in the headlight housing and the light does not flicker or get brighter that would probably confirm the shade. And yes this would make an HID conversion MUCH easier to deal with.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The Volt has a retractable shade. When you activate the high beam control you can watch the beam blossom and shrink as the shade moves out of and into the way.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Please keep us informed if you decide to go through with this: what problems you encounter, what you spend (about), whether or not GM gives you any grief, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts