GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI.
I've had my Volt for about two months. It has about 1700 miles on the clock. Now that the weather is warmer, I'm driving with the windows open more frequently. I've noticed and squeek-clack sound coming from the front end whenever I hit a bump. It sounds like a loose brake caliper. I'm taking it back to the dealer to see if they can find any problems but I must say, it makes my new and otherwise very quiet car sound rather junky. Has any one else noticed anything like that with their Volts? Did you get it solved?

Sean

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Had mine about three months, no sign of squeaks or rattles so far.

It could be a bad or loose shock also. Just a guess...

Jerry, #536 in Fresno

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yea, I have the same thing. It's the brakes. Do you notice that if you ride the breaks a little over the bumps the noise goes away?

On my last car, a 300C, it was the brake pads rattling inside the calipers. The solution was to bend the retaining clips more for a tighter fit.

I am not convinced that's the same problem here. I had the wheel off the other day for measurements for new wheels and the pads looked very secure. I didn't have time to troubleshoot further that day, but there has to be a solution.

HI.
I've had my Volt for about two months. It has about 1700 miles on the clock. Now that the weather is warmer, I'm driving with the windows open more frequently. I've noticed and squeek-clack sound coming from the front end whenever I hit a bump. It sounds like a loose brake caliper. I'm taking it back to the dealer to see if they can find any problems but I must say, it makes my new and otherwise very quiet car sound rather junky. Has any one else noticed anything like that with their Volts? Did you get it solved?

Sean

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Most auto part dealers sell an anti-squeak grease that is applied on the back of the pads before mounting them in the caliper. This will cushion somewhat the vibrations on the pads while the vehicle is rolling, and eliminate the squeaks caused by the retaining clip scraping on the back of the pad. It will not affect the braking action, unless someone is stupid enough to apply the grease on the front side of the pads!

Raymond

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Well, I can report back that my rattle is gone.

I used the same techniques from my Chrysler and the rattles are no more.

It was the brake pads rattling in the calipers. I bent the brake pad clips to hold the pads better and I applied the red anti-squeal goop to the back of the pads. The brakes weren't squealing, but the same goop helps with the pads rattling as well.

Easy fix. It takes about 30 minutes per wheel going slow, and most of that time is taking off and putting back on the wheels.

HI.

Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts