GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
front drivers side regulator is easy to change- but costs a lot for a regulator assembly, already done it with 70,000 on 2014, but after 106,000 it failed again. Shoot this gm door regulator engineer. must have designed it on a Friday. Way too much monkey motion going on, I've replaced many door regulators over the years of various cars and this chevy volt drivers side is the WORST. At a cost of about $118- for the assembly, I decided to buy the cable kit as the motor is good, cables got jammed up $20 for kit. kit comes with no directions and a email to seller suggests watch YouTube. Videos are not good for cable placement. after 2 hours watching videos, decided to send kit back.With window taped up, back to looking for a cheaper way, but of course, Chinese haven't made a knock off on a volt- there wasn't enough made to copy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
front drivers side regulator is easy to change- but costs a lot for a regulator assembly, already done it with 70,000 on 2014, but after 106,000 it failed again. Shoot this gm door regulator engineer. must have designed it on a Friday. Way too much monkey motion going on, I've replaced many door regulators over the years of various cars and this chevy volt drivers side is the WORST. At a cost of about $118- for the assembly, I decided to buy the cable kit as the motor is good, cables got jammed up $20 for kit. kit comes with no directions and a email to seller suggests watch YouTube. Videos are not good for cable placement. after 2 hours watching videos, decided to send kit back.With window taped up, back to looking for a cheaper way, but of course, Chinese haven't made a knock off on a volt- there wasn't enough made to copy.
My windows made it to 189k before the vehicle was totaled after going over a speed bump (zero body damage; all underbody / transaxle).

You are indeed stuck. No aftermarket, junkyard stuff will be halfway through an already short life. Curious why they keep failing. Wonder if the gaskets / felt fit just a little tighter than other ones making the motor wear faster. Something to entertain if you plan on keeping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my 2015 driver door case it's the clips that fail, not the regulator or assembly. Clips are cheap to replace. It appears the clips fail early and more often for darker colored cars. Most likely the plastic becomes brittle over time due to heat from the sun.

Example: https://ebay.us/GCCjIb

·
Registered
375 Posts
azharley, obviously I see you are in Arizona, I have had to change the regulator in my 2011 drivers door also. Not sure if this is an option for you, but I used a company called Power Window Repair, they have a shop at 24th st and McDowell and also provide mobile service. I think I paid about $170, not sure. But between the cost for me to buy the part and the hassle of doing it myself (I know it's not difficult, but still a pain) it was well worth them doing it. I was in and out of the shop in less than 45 minutes. I have used them on a few other vehicles too, might be something to look into???

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Where is the clip on the assembly???

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If you click on the amazon link in post #6 and scroll down, you'll see a pic of the regulator in the "frequently bought together" section just below the main pic. Click on that and in the blown up pic you can see "ears" on either side, These clips are attached to those ears and glide up and down the regulator track. They're attached by cables to pull them up and down the track, and it's where the cable attaches to these that breaks.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If you click on the amazon link in post #6 and scroll down, you'll see a pic of the regulator in the "frequently bought together" section just below the main pic. Click on that and in the blown up pic you can see "ears" on either side, These clips are attached to those ears and glide up and down the regulator track. They're attached by cables to pull them up and down the track, and it's where the cable attaches to these that breaks.
Thank you for this! I'm wondering how long before one of my regulators goes out. I don't like the design--there's simply too much force put on those 2 plastic clips. I wish they could be made out of something more durable--perhaps aluminum with teflon guides.

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Volt premium
53 Posts
My 2014 driver's door window regulator broke the other week. I took it to the shop next to work, they said nobody has one. Local Chevy dealership said it'll be two weeks to get one. The shop had a mobile repair person come to rebuild it for $320.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts