GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my 2017 Volt LT Tuesday. Trading in my suburban, I've had a suburban for 12 years and I'm netrvous as hell about the Volt. I hope I like it. Being low to the ground and small is gonna be a huge adjustment. I just took a job that is 68 miles round trip 4 days a week and filling up Suburban once a week. I'm fascinated by the technology of the Volt and looking forward to the savings but I'm still nervous. I like the hatch back and think it will hold a lot.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You will save a lot of gas with the Volt. Driving a compact after a large light truck is an adjustment of course. Depending on your situation you might be able to keep an old used suburban or pickup to have around for infrequent use.

Enjoy the new Volt!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I fully agree on the adjustment as well as the incredible fuel savings. I went from a '94 Oldsmobile getting 16-22mpg (city/hwy) with weekly fill-ups ranging around $35 which I realize isn't quite as bad as a suburban may get, but still was expensive when considering it was used almost exclusively for work commutes. So far with 3 weeks and one trip to LA (100 miles each way) I've filled the tank once, and waiting for my power bill early next month, but my kill-a-watt indicates it should be about $30 in electricity. Definitely feel like I made the right move.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
We bought 2 2012 Volts four years ago and retained our 2008 Tahoe Hybrid as the 'third' vehicle, whose primary job became to haul one of the Volts between homes. In my view, transitioning to all electric (most of the time) was the easiest part. The weirder part is getting back UP into the Tahoe from time to time. I still have a fine time when I have to drive the Tahoe for any reason...but now onto the Model X and never filling up a gas tank...with the auto pilot and all...not THAT is a weird transition to make. Trust me; you'll be just fine and this crossover phase will become a distant memory in short order.

·
Registered
352 Posts
We own a several vehicles, for our family of 5 drivers. Our MAIN veh prior to the VOLT, was the 2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 Diesel, we bought new. The Volt is a great vehicle,as is the Excursion, which has approx. 180,000 reliable miles. 30,000 of which was towing a Travel Trailer, on a few "Circle of America" road trips.

One thing about the Excursion, there is nothing like the safety of an 8000 pound American steel vehicle, sitting above bumper height of most other vehicles! I keep it fully service and fueled up, in case we need to "bug out" in an emergency.

·
Registered
425 Posts
not a suburban, but my DD before the Volt was a Kia Sportage LX V6 AWD. My wife uses it now. Other than the fuel savings - which are incredible - the main other thing I notice is that drivers are more willing to cut me off in the Volt than the SUV and some probably because its a volt and not a gas car! ... I am guessing you will see this even more coming from a tank to a mere Volt !!!

On the fuel front, at the end of next month we will have had the Volt for 1 year and I estimate that I have filled her up a total of 5 times with each of those being for a road trip where I knew I would have to run on gas ... almost 100% of my daily driving is electric. The tank holds about 34 litres (9 gallons) so over the year at an average of CDN $1 per litre ($3.78 p/gallon) thats still less than $200 .... My monthly cost on the Sportage when gas was more expensive was $600 but even using the $1 rate it was hitting over $400 per month so roughly $5000 per year .... and lets not even go there with maintenance !!! 2 services in and my total cost for the Volt has been $33.94 for tire rotation.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
...One thing about the Excursion, there is nothing like the safety of an 8000 pound American steel vehicle, sitting above bumper height of most other vehicles! ...
The presence of these kinds of vehicles on our roads make a lot of people scared, and rightfully so, to downsize to smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles. Fortunately the Volt has excellent crash test results and is not nearly as light as one might expect in a car this size. But many compact cars would be like a fly in the grill of a truck like that during a collision. I really wish there were more crash compatibility among different classes of vehicles instead of something that resembles an arms race to be heavier and higher than anything else on the road.

·
Registered
280 Posts
We bought 2 2012 Volts four years ago and retained our 2008 Tahoe Hybrid as the 'third' vehicle, whose primary job became to haul one of the Volts between homes. In my view, transitioning to all electric (most of the time) was the easiest part. The weirder part is getting back UP into the Tahoe from time to time. I still have a fine time when I have to drive the Tahoe for any reason...but now onto the Model X and never filling up a gas tank...with the auto pilot and all...not THAT is a weird transition to make. Trust me; you'll be just fine and this crossover phase will become a distant memory in short order.
How do you haul a Volt?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
My wife drove Suburbans for 17 years. She loved the Suburban, and refused to look at anything else. I finally convinced her to downsize, so we bought an Acadia, but she was never really happy with it. A couple of years later, my company moved closer to our home such that I had half the round trip to work my wife did.

So we swapped cars, with her grudgingly agreeing to drive the Volt. She ended up hitting a deer a few months later, and a few weeks after that, she commented that she wanted a Volt of her own. I was surprised, and asked why. She was absolutely convinced if she was driving the Acadia or a Suburban she would rolled the vehicle. But the Volt stayed steady and she was able to come to a stop safely.

So now we are two-Volt family. She still longs for a vehicle with a little more room, but until something in an Equinox size comes out she is content. The Bolt might be a contender, if she gets comfortable with the idea of a BEV.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just give it some time and you'll start to like it. I went from a Mustang GT to a Volt. Not a big difference in ride height, but a huge difference in car. I wasn't driving the Mustang very much at all but still filling up every 2 weeks. I've put 600 miles on my Volt and used maybe 2 gallons of gas so far.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I went from an Eclipse to a Safari custom-finished van to a Prius to a Volt. I have driven pick-ups, snowplows, and forty-foot buses all day at work through those vehicles. No huge adjustment. I buy two gallons of gasoline per month. I took a 4,000-mile trip this summer with no available charging stations, burning a shocking 98 gallons of gasoline. The difficult adjustment is being forced to purchase any gasoline when I prefer silent running in the Volt.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The presence of these kinds of vehicles on our roads make a lot of people scared, and rightfully so, to downsize to smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles. Fortunately the Volt has excellent crash test results and is not nearly as light as one might expect in a car this size. But many compact cars would be like a fly in the grill of a truck like that during a collision. I really wish there were more crash compatibility among different classes of vehicles instead of something that resembles an arms race to be heavier and higher than anything else on the road.
FWIW, a few weeks ago, a woman driving a Pontiac Vibe (a smallish car, and a twin of the Toyota Matrix) rear-ended a big flatbed truck in front of my house. The woman driving the Vibe was shaken, but unharmed (AFAIK; she had no visible injuries, but I don't know if she might have had some minor bruises or internal injuries). The hood ended up folded up in an upside-down "V" shape where it slid under the bumper of the flatbed truck. I definitely agree with you that there should be more compatibility in bumper heights between vehicle types. OTOH, I'm not sure that's possible, given the radically different needs of passenger cars vs. big trucks. Personally, I try to put a little more space between me and big trucks than between me and a passenger car when I'm following. What really makes me nervous is when I see a big truck following me too closely. Fortunately, that's pretty rare.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Don't be nervous, you will love the Volt. My wife's car is an '04 Suburban Z71 since we have 4 kids and live in Colorado (a 4WD, large vehicle is a must).

I drive both, but like the Volt better. You will be astounded how loud the 'Burb is compared to the Volt. It does take getting used to being in a small, low to the ground car, but I like it.

Enjoy your new Volt. With the savings you will get just on gas, it will be almost like driving for free. As for maintenance, the Volt is next to nothing while my 'Burb has turned into a money pit.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
...I definitely agree with you that there should be more compatibility in bumper heights between vehicle types. OTOH, I'm not sure that's possible, given the radically different needs of passenger cars vs. big trucks. ...
Even over the road tractor trailer rigs can and do have front and rear bumpers mounted at reasonable heights. I think that almost any vehicle can have reasonable bumper heights if the designers put them there. One big exception to this would be vehicles that are heavily modified for off road use (lifted 4x4s). But in that case, I still think we need some standards. Lifted trucks could have maybe a retractable or removable bumper (mounted like a trailer hitch draw bar) or, if that is not desired, they can be transported by trailer when on public roads if they don't meet some reasonable guidelines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We think alike! My friend is selling her 2003 Yukon xl. 178,000 miles and she has kept it immaculate. I'm going to buy it cash for the same price the dealership is offering her. Then If I'm missing the big ride or need to take bunch of people of haul something I will have it covered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow. I'll keep u all posted. Not sure if it will end up being the LT or the Premier.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
We still have our Suburban. But now that the kids are off at college/grad school, it is mostly relegated to weekend hauling. I also own a Buick Rendezvous which one of my sons has in Milwaukee right now. When he returns, we should sell one or the other. But I keep oscillating between which one... (RDV is newer, slightly better MPG, but less capable and reliable. Suburban swallows whatever I put in it, and just keeps on truckin'.)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ford designed and built the Excursion with a second (not visable) front bumper, mounted just above the front spoiler. It is there to match bumpers on smaller vehicles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts