1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
679 Posts
What is it with Car companies crushing good cars, oh ya lawyers.

·
8,680 Posts
Amazing how different the tone of that article is from the ones reviling GM as the evil anti-EV after the EV1 program. This article even explicitly said that BMW had no real choice -

Since all of the ActiveEs were imported into the United States as "pre-production" cars, there's no way for BMW to certify them in a way that makes it legal to sell them publicly; the only way to keep them on the road is either through car sharing or re-leasing them. Otherwise, the only environmental action left for the ActiveEs is recycling.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Amazing how different the tone of that article is from the ones reviling GM as the evil anti-EV after the EV1 program. This article even explicitly said that BMW had no real choice -
The tone is different because the MiniE and ActiveE were test lease programs. The goal was to research the platform that became the i3. Compliance lease BEVs will be given to research/car sharing programs or crushed at the end of their leases (including the Honda Fit EV). The recycled internal components like motors and batteries of crushed cars will be kept as spares for the car sharing programs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
8,680 Posts
The tone is different because the MiniE and ActiveE were test lease programs. The goal was to research the platform that became the i3. Compliance lease BEVs will be given to research/car sharing programs or crushed at the end of their leases (including the Honda Fit EV). The recycled internal components like motors and batteries of crushed cars will be kept as spares for the car sharing programs.
That's true - but I'm sure that BMW got CARB credits for the cars, and I don't really think EV1 was much more mature than the ActiveE as a program.

Granted GM's follow-on program was invisible to the general public because GM killed it after the CARB requirements rollback, but I still feel like the the situations are pretty tight analogues - and the response isn't.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Not analogous at all.

MiniE and ActiveE had scheduled timelines for testing. The EV1 had no such plan, it was not leased as a test vehicle. It was a shock when the cars were taken back and crushed.

Immediately after the ActiveE program ended, the leasees were asked if they wanted to buy an i3. The EV1 leasees were not offered anything.

Hundreds of retired ActiveEs will be used in car-sharing programs. Over 1100 EV1s were crushed and only a few were allowed in drivetrain-gutted form for museum use.

More detail from BMW: http://insideevs.com/exclusive-bmw-provides-official-statement-crushing-activees/

·
Registered
124 Posts
MiniE and ActiveE had scheduled timelines for testing. The EV1 had no such plan, it was not leased as a test vehicle.
According to the Wikipedia Article on the EV1: "EV1 lessees were officially participants in a "real-world engineering evaluation" and market study into the feasibility of producing and marketing a commuter electric vehicle in select U.S. markets undertaken by GM's Advanced Technology Vehicles group". It seems that some people who signed up for a a lease didn't realize what a lease is... meaning that you don't get to keep the car when you stop making payments. Read the fine print, people!

Immediately after the ActiveE program ended, the leasees were asked if they wanted to buy an i3. The EV1 leasees were not offered anything.
Because there was nothing else to offer at the time. The idea of an electric car was in its infancy at the time. As much excitement there is now over electric cars, it still comprises about 1% of the car sales in a world with $4+ per gallon gas. Imagine how much less interest there would have been when gas was only about a dollar a gallon.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Good reason to eliminate the Reagan era gray market laws, they served no purpose in 1985 and they still are the most worthless piece of crap legislation to ever be paid through congress.

Folks we really need to stand up against stupidity, the only reason we can't have cars of this type is because we allow it, put pressure on congress and we could can these ridiculous laws.

But then BMW would not have an excuse (at least not legal one)

Ah well

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
According to the Wikipedia Article on the EV1: "EV1 lessees were officially participants in a "real-world engineering evaluation" and market study into the feasibility of producing and marketing a commuter electric vehicle in select U.S. markets undertaken by GM's Advanced Technology Vehicles group". It seems that some people who signed up for a a lease didn't realize what a lease is... meaning that you don't get to keep the car when you stop making payments. Read the fine print, people!

I bought my EV when gas was a $1 a gallon, a couple years later it climbed to $3 then to nearly $5.

Because there was nothing else to offer at the time. The idea of an electric car was in its infancy at the time. As much excitement there is now over electric cars, it still comprises about 1% of the car sales in a world with $4+ per gallon gas. Imagine how much less interest there would have been when gas was only about a dollar a gallon.
People can't see past the end of their weekly paycheck to understand that some things are worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts