GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

Recently sold my 2011 Volt w/ 145k miles on it for $6,800. Bought a 2nd owner 2016 with 100k on it for $16,500 thereafter. Car is literally flawless on the outside and inside. Charges to 60+ and my ICE MPG has been fantastic to say the least , worst being 33 on a hilly road-trip and best being 40-45 mpg on the highway.

Problems:
-Car seems to creak on re-gen braking and acceleration.
-Sounds like drivers side front suspension is shot - very loud "boing" sounds
-Firestone said he could wiggle the cv axle on the passenger side?? says this requires dropping the tranmission to get to? How screwed am I?
-When I shut off the car, it says shift to park. However, this doesn't bother me or the functionality of the car, as I am able to lock and charge no problem. Looks like this is common, but also just random?

Other than that, loving the car. Seems like it will last a while once I address these issues!!

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
342 Posts
-Car seems to creak on re-gen braking and acceleration.
-Sounds like drivers side front suspension is shot - very loud "boing" sounds
-Firestone said he could wiggle the cv axle on the passenger side?? says this requires dropping the tranmission to get to? How screwed am I?
-When I shut off the car, it says shift to park. However, this doesn't bother me or the functionality of the car, as I am able to lock and charge no problem. Looks like this is common, but also just random?
-Axle nuts are probably not fully torqued (requires new nuts, I believe)
-Front strut 'boing' is normally caused by a bad strut bearing. Haven't heard of it on the Volt, but happens on many different cars.
-May or may not be an issue. Solve other issues first and see. Bad CVs would create a wobble or shake under high speed acceleration, normally.
-Standard Chevy STP issue. Fixable with cheap parts if you want to DIY. You may be out of the Voltec warranty, but it otherwise will be covered if you are still in warranty. Flick the button on the shifter a few times - it may also just go away for a while (temp fix).

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If axle nuts don’t solve the creak may need an axle replacement. That’s what they did on our 16. I think they didn’t realize the force of regen in the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice thanks . I’m going to bite the bullet and go dealer route for repairs. I just trust it more than the last local ev shop I went to.

also, when I use the regen button does it show brake lights? What about for L mode ?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Nice thanks . I’m going to bite the bullet and go dealer route for repairs. I just trust it more than the last local ev shop I went to.

also, when I use the regen button does it show brake lights? What about for L mode ?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Always with brake pedal, with sufficient negative g's with regen paddle or L mode.

-Charlie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, super helpful as always.

The axle/CV joint thing doesn't sound as bad as my 2011...had to replace them both. Hoping this isn't the case.

Also - what kind of KWH per mile do you guys get? I can get high 4's on average during my commute which ranges from stop and go to 70mph

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Following up, after dealer visit:
-Shift to park was covered under warranty, yay
-No visible suspension issues on the strut. Says there is very little leakage, and tech recommended to NOT replace. Said it could easily go another 20-35k and was not ready for replacement..."noise found to be normal operation of the vehicle" lol
-They replaced both "anti-click" washers along with an alignment. All creaking has disappeared.

In total $697 @ Glendale Chevy . Washers were $575 and alignment was $120.

Creaking went away, and now the car has a lot more regen than before. It pulls harder to me...In D mode it used to coast, now it' pulls negative KWH, like a very slight regen. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but my E range went down a bit so far as I have to get used to it....Previously I could coast a lot better.

Overall now the car is good. Just thought I would update that the creaking was solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts