GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through my own fault, I fried the Voltec (Clipper Creek) Level 1 charger that came with my 2013 Volt. The circuit board is dead and needs to be replaced.

Where do you buy parts for these chargers?

Can I replace the guts of this charger with a kit from Open EVSE? Will it fit?

Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Yes, you can try Clipper Creek. Or, you could look at OpenEVSE.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Could be under warranty still.

I doubt that GM/CC sells parts. I've only seen complete units.

Open EVSE is an option. Make it 110/240 dual voltage!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Check with the dealer and if no luck then try Clipper Creek. Clipper Creek is very easy to deal with.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
And for reference you can get a Volt EVSE on eBay for ~250 that is the CC model, lower cost than the open kits cost. I just got a second one and modded it for 240V for another location.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No luck with the Dealer or Clipper Creek. The reason Clipper Creek said no is because its only their circuit board, the rest of it comes from other places. They don't have replacement circuit boards for this unit. They suggested trying Voltec, but I can't find an email or phone number for them. Anybody have one?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
No luck with the Dealer or Cripple Creek. The reason Cripple Creek said no is because its only their circuit board, the rest of it comes from other places. They don't have replacement circuit boards for this unit. They suggested trying Voltec, but I can't find an email or phone number for them. Anybody have one?
Get the 2016+ Volt EVSE. It's the newer Clipper Creek design, and can safely work o 240V with an adapter for Level 2 charging (see sig).

·
Registered
907 Posts
The repair cost of equipment like this is often not worthwhile. You can buy another used 2013/2014 GM EVSE for <$250, as mentioned above (I did). You can probably sell the broken one you have, for parts, for $100 (?).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I will confess how I fried my EVSE. But only on one condition: someone has to report whether or not the Open EVSE components will fit in my Level 1 box. I have found posts that show how it fits in a Level 2 charger, but not level 1.

It looks like the Open EVSE components will cost me about $150, but only if it fits. Will it?

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
OpenEVSE consists of individual components. A very small square circuit board, a small relay, two fuses. Make an aluminum or steel board the shape of the 120V EVSE interior and mount these components to that board.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Does anybody have some pictures about how it all fits?
Here's what I made:

SPX-openEVSE1.jpg

I cut an aluminum plate that was the same size and shape as the pice of junk Lear circuit board and mounted my OpenEVSE circuit board, the realy and two fuses on it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great, that's all I needed.

Here's how to keep from frying your L1 EVSE:

1.) Follow Chris TX's instructions on how to convert your Clipper Creek EVSE to 220 volts.
2.) Do not believe other's advice that all you needed was a 120-to 220 cord adapter to make it work at 220.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Great, that's all I needed.

Here's how to keep from frying your L1 EVSE:

1.) Follow Chris TX's instructions on how to convert your Clipper Creek EVSE to 220 volts.
2.) Do not believe other's advice that all you needed was a 120-to 220 cord adapter to make it work at 220.

YMMV
Thanks for the brief summary of the events leading up to the fried L1 EVSE. I use a Blink L2 so I don't expect to have such a problem. However, just for my curiosity and for others who may want to use 240 V with their stock L1 EVSE, can you provide more details? What did you do that violates Chris' law? Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, what specifically did you do?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Isn't it obvious?

Do not believe other's advice that all you needed was a 120-to 220 cord adapter to make it work at 220 v.
He took an older (2013+) Clipper Creek and instead of modifying the EVSE, just added a 110 to 220 volt adapter (like you'd use on a 2016/17 EVSE).

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
No luck with the Dealer or Cripple Creek. The reason Cripple Creek said no is because its only their circuit board, the rest of it comes from other places. They don't have replacement circuit boards for this unit. They suggested trying Voltec, but I can't find an email or phone number for them. Anybody have one?
Pretty sad that you're name-calling a company that has done nothing wrong. Their product worked as designed, you broke it. And unfortunately they don't stock replacement parts for an OEM contract that was completed 3+ years prior. That's understandable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts