GM Volt Forum banner

Do you think new Volt design will make its appearance on Friday?

• :) Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • :( No.

Votes: 19 100.0%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Volt is expected to make an appearance at the McCain / GM Tech Center town-hall meeting on Friday. Place your bets. Will the Volt be the old 2007 Concept design or the new not-yet-released 2008 one?

As per GM, the showing in Washington D.C. was the last public appearance the original Chevy Volt concept shall make.
But...

It was specifically mentioned that the car will be finished in August and may debut at GMs 100 year anniversary celebration, the specific date of which is September 16th.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Nope. McCain will be shown the old one. It's more impressive to look at. It says cutting edge, sexy, new and powerful. From what we've been able to cobble together here on the forum with the info we have, the new Volt is just a pretty regular sedan. If it were my call, I'd show the politicians the old one, not the new one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In an EV its all about aerodynamics. The concept is anything but. Hopefully the production version is less bulky looking and much more streamlined. Remember, this isnt a car meant to appeal to only 20 year olds. Others may dissagree...but I wouldnt at all be dissapointed in a front end looking much like the Prius(as far as aerodynamics).

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Remember, this isnt a car meant to appeal to only 20 year olds. Others may dissagree...but I wouldnt at all be dissapointed in a front end looking much like the Prius(as far as aerodynamics).
Why is it that good looking cars are always supposed to appeal to 20 year olds? If you haven't noticed they seem to be driving Scion Xbs and Subaru WRXs. Why is it that once you reach 30, I'm supposed to want boring, ugly, but practical cars? Anyhow, I'm 44 and loved the original concept. It might be more accurate to say that the car isn't just supposed to appeal to car enthusiasts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why is it that good looking cars are always supposed to appeal to 20 year olds?
I never said they're "always supposed to appeal to 20 year olds" (I'm 51 and I dont consider it a good looking car. I'm probably in the minority here. :)

Why is it that once you reach 30, I'm supposed to want boring, ugly, but practical cars?
I dont consider a streamlined frontend to be boring. Now I'm not saying it should look like the Tesla roadster...but something with the resemblance of an aerodynamic frontend would be more practical for an EV.

Anyhow, I'm 44 and loved the original concept. It might be more accurate to say that the car isn't just supposed to appeal to car enthusiasts.
I think you misunderstood my original point.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So was this article wrong when they said the DC showing was the last that the 2007 concept model would make?

·
Registered
240 Posts
In an EV its all about aerodynamics. The concept is anything but.

But the Volt is not a pure EV. It has the range extender that removes the range pressure from the car having to look like a bubble to get the minimum aero impact. I agree that for EV's, aero is critical. To me, it does not HAVE to be with the Volt. You can have the best of both worlds with this car, if GM doesn't bow to the pressure to make the car as aerodynamic as possible and take away its character. Look at all the other electric cars being introduced right now. They are not exactly the optimum shape, (i MiEV, Think!, Zenn, etc), but they are downright tiny and ugly. This also won't fly with the bulk of the "overweight" American public! :)

Most people I know also DO NOT want to drive an ugly, "futuristic", super aerodynamic car. They want some style and luxury which is why they buy a lot of Caddy's, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, Vettes, ..... you name it. A huge portion of the car market, even today, are buying well styled cars. They may be the ones able to afford them, that's true. But the evidence is that most people buy what they like and can afford and given their preference, its not a tiny rolling box or a rolling bubble.

The Volt can give us the style of gas engined cars with the efficiency of an EV. No range anxiety, no need for super aerodynamics. It does need to be lightweight. But it does not have to look like a Prius. That will be GM's decision to make, not one dictated to them by constraints.

·
Registered
38 Posts
But the Volt is not a pure EV.
No...but it's my understanding it's pretty close. Meaning it's only powered by electric batteries with an ICE used only for recharging purposes...not to move the vehicle.

It has the range extender that removes the range pressure from the car having to look like a bubble to get the minimum aero impact.
I have no idea what that means. Sorry.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have no idea what that means. Sorry.
Sorry, if that was unclear. The point I was trying to make is that the reason you correctly say that for EV's, aero concerns are most important, is that you must have optimim shape to get maximum electric range from the car. Pure EV's, if designed for the masses and sold at reasonable prices, can't carry around extra battery weight, so it needs to be aerodynamically designed and get the most out of what energy it carries around with it. Range anxiety is real for these cars, since they stop when the batteries are drained.

The Volt has a range extender, to provide electricity to the batteries when they are drained too far. Obviously pure electric range is impacted by aero design. But the Volt drivers do not have range anxiety. They can drive the car across the country if they want to without plugging it back in by driving in range extended mode. The car will never let you sit, unless it runs out of gas for the range extender. Just like any other car.

So, the Volt does not need to have its design severely restricted due to aero concerns. That will be a choice by GM. Didn't they say the Malibu mules were getting 40 mile range? They aren't exactly aero tuned based on the photos.

As far as I'm concerned, an aerobubble, unattractive Volt can give us 40-45 mile EV range prior to range extended mode; or a well styled, desireable, nice looking Volt can give us 30-35 mile EV range prior to range extended mode. Do the math and see what the style will cost you in your driving requirements. I'll take the nice style, please. So would most people I know. That's the point

·
Registered
240 Posts
Here's the math for me. If the cool Volt costs me 10 miles of range a day for 5 days a week (assuming of course I use the full 40-45mile range each day), that's 50 miles a week on gas instead of electric. The Volt gets about 50 mpg with the ICE running. So thats 1 gallon of gas per week cost. Say $4/gal ; electric cost is about $1; so the cost for the styling and lack of aero is about $3/week.

If $3/week is a deal breaker, then you likely shouldn't be buying a $35,000 car to start with. Or even a $20,000 car.

I'll pay an extra $12-$15 a month for a cool, well styled Volt. Again, nearly everyone I talk to would also. Particularly if you compare what we are now paying in gas per month in our current ICE cars. I'll be saving $225 per month instead of $240 per month in gas. No problem here. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, the Volt does not need to have its design severely restricted due to aero concerns.
I think we're going in circles here. :D Let me restate my point before I lay this one to rest. I fully understand that the Volt doesnt NEED aerodynamic styling because of the range extender. However wouldn't it just be icing on the cake if it had a stylish aerodynamic frontend to make it that much more efficient?

Now. Although I love the range extender concept, I really would have prefered a different look to this Volt. Just my 2 cents worth. :) My original point was, although this current concept design appeals to alot of folks, I dont think it will appeal to the majority. But I may be wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts