GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching the forums showed several AC leak spots but I believe I’ve got a different one. I’m hoping someone can point me to the right replacement part.

It started with a CEL about low AC Refrigerant so I parked it and found green oil leaking beneath the passenger area. It appears to be coming out of an AC line but I’m having trouble finding a diagram or what to order to address this leak. When I bring the car into the dealer they always act very confused with the EVs and quote outrageous repairs so my confidence is low. I’m hoping someone else has dealt with this first.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I'm pretty sure the AC compressor lubricant is green. So that's confirmation that you do have a problem and you're right about what it generally is. But I don't see how that gets you any closer to "fixed" than you were before, nor that you can get there other than by having it serviced by someone skilled and with access to the specific Volt service manual, because the Volt's cooling system has a more points to check for "working" than most cars. Which probably means "dealership".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve got documents and instructions concerning the HVAC directly from GM. The special thing about it is that it’s a POE lube system and specialized equipment is needed if it’s contaminated with PAG at some point. Other than that it’s a double expansion valve setup and I could really benefit from a diagram or part numbers that these lines are part of. Thanks.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Year? Milage?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Year? Milage?
This is posted in the Gen 1 section of the forum. Mileage might make a difference for warranty but I doubt it as A/C issues are normally only covered under the 36 month/36K mile B2B warranty.

It's definitely an HVAC coolant loop from the color of the fluid. It looks to me like a pressure spray leak along with a drip from above. This tells me the leak is vertical and not horizontal (I've seen GM coolant systems blow and turn the entire engine bay bright green.) OP should look "in front" of the green area for a hairline crack (it could be at a seal between pipes or a pipe and compressor). He should be able to see green there using a flashlight.

Anyone in Texas know of any good Volt dealerships in the major cities? OP is probably going to need one as this type of repair requires special tools to comply with EPA regulations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m at 106,000 miles so I won’t bother asking about warranty. Gauges are showing significant static pressure so bad news is I can’t recover it and DIY but at least it’s not contaminated yet. I’m dropping it off at a shop that’s familiar with POE and PAG incompatibility. Unfortunately this will be my last repair. It’s been a bit of a nightmare since I passed 100k. Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts