GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any others who may run into this...
I use the IRS "Free File Fillable Forms" to file my taxes. My e-file was rejected with a code 1279 on Form 8936.

I looked and looked and it all seemed right to me. After about 20 minutes on the phone with a very nice IRS person, we figured out that the form actually has 3 different fields on line 1 (stacked on top of each other) for each vehicle.

So 2011 (or 2012) goes in the first field. Chevrolet goes in the next one. Volt goes in the third one.
(I had put "2011 Chevrolet Volt" all in what I thought was the single field on line 1.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used free file fillable forms also and I did not have any trouble. I used the three fields, however. Form 8936 was not available until 2/17, which is when I filed electronically and I got the refund on March 1st. I have been quite happy with FFFF. Did you also submit the AMT form 6251? On the IRS site it indicated that the AMT form was required, but that was not clear when using FFFF. It did not affect my tax any.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You can google an example of the 8936 filled out for a Volt so you know where to put what. There's several examples out there and it makes filling the form out much faster

·
Administrator
20,463 Posts
I did not use one of the free tax prep applications, but I did get credit for both the car and the 240v charger.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Thanks for posting Barry. This is the type of mistake I make all the time. Filling out forms is not my strong suit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts