GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3 years of FREE ONSTAR service 2011 or newer GM models - Chevy, Buick, GMC, Cadillac

Push the blue OnStar button in your car and ask for "3 years on us"

Offical: http://media.gm.com/product/no_search/public/us/en/Onstar1/onstar-card.html

No Credit Card required. "Basic Plan" includes RemoteLink app service.

Alternatively Activate Onstar Service Online: https://www.onstar.com/us/en/get-onstar/pre-owned.html

Uhhhhh..... after posting, I see there are "similar threads" of the same so this is definitely not breaking news. Don't know where the freak I have been over the past many months. I visited GM-Volt Forums religiously everyday over the past 2 years but completely missed the previous threads. Anyway, I hope this is useful for someone.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Not your fault, I don't think they put out a tweet about it before... the free service is worth just about exactly what you pay for it. You pay with the data on your driving habits that GM collects and get very basic service in return.

Keith

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hmmm. I am paying for the exact same thing they are offering free. I paid up front for a year. Bummer.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I'LL have to decide whether I want to extend my initial 3 year free Onstar in October. So can I tack on another 3 years with this program?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
This OnStar Basic Services plan has a great price (free), but I would point out that only the Key Fob services are available on the app (for both the OnStar Remote app and the MyChevrolet app). The app’s Vehicle Status (soc %, total/ev miles, tire pressure, oil level) and Map Location services require an upgraded OnStar plan.

Because this is an OnStar plan, your Volt data will continue to be provided to the internet sites that rely on this data. Some of your Status data can be obtained from MyVolt.com, and certain stats (total/ ev miles, ev%, MPG) are available for Volts registered on Voltstats.net. I also would note that at times, I am more successful getting the various bits of historical information from the MyVolt site when accessing it using the Firefox browser than when using Internet Explorer.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
So after 5 years of FREE Onstar with my 2011 Volt, I saw no value in the service and chose not to extend the service. So now they are offering 3 more years of "FREE" service that I still don't see any value in? Sorry, still not interested.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The Volt Advisor team gave me 3 years of free OnStar back in December for being the most efficiently driven Volt (based on VoltDC data). After it was activated, ended up being 4 years. This includes the turn by turn directions.

I wonder if I can use this to tack on another 3 years.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Is this something that comes default activated with new 2017s? I'm hoping my car gets built next week (TPS is 5/30) and whenever I wind up taking delivery would I need to take any extra steps to get the 3 years basic?

I have no interest in paying for the advanced plan -- I'd be perfectly happy doing pre-conditioning from my phone or being able to unlock the car from my phone. No interest in the tracking features or turn by turn stuff they offer as add ons.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I called Onstar about the basic plan on my -17. They said (I think) it was a typo or mistake and I would get the full plan for 3 years with no extra charge. A few weeks later I got a letter from Onstar saying I am good to go.
Look at the window sticker, if it says basic or reduced plan, call 'em up and they will switch to the premium plan.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts

·
4,851 Posts
Yeah, I just signed up for the Basic Plan. It's free, and gives you Remote link access to remote start your car from afar when freezing cold or burning hot. That alone makes it worthwhile to let them collect the data. I don't think VoltStats.net can pull data off with the Basic plan though, which is unfortunate.

EDIT: Actually, VoltStats.net DOES work with the Basic plan, sweet! I was having issues with it before but I think that was an OnStar blip. Very cool.

So, everyone who signs up for the additional 3 years, make sure VoltStats.net is authenticated if you have an account. If you don't have a free account at VoltStats.net, consider getting one! ;)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Is this something that comes default activated with new 2017s? I'm hoping my car gets built next week (TPS is 5/30) and whenever I wind up taking delivery would I need to take any extra steps to get the 3 years basic?

I have no interest in paying for the advanced plan -- I'd be perfectly happy doing pre-conditioning from my phone or being able to unlock the car from my phone. No interest in the tracking features or turn by turn stuff they offer as add ons.
New 2017s come with the Guidance Plan for 3 years and Basic for 5 years.

·
Registered
260 Posts
New 2017s come with the Guidance Plan for 3 years and Basic for 5 years.
I bought my 2017 a month ago. When the sales rep and I called OnStar, the OnStar rep told us the free service was only for 6 months now, not 3 years.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Will be 3 years in November.

We don't use the remote remote starting and the stats are nice, but not essential, especially given that in deep winter I get -- Wh/mile which makes it totally useless for calculating annual average.

But it does remind me that I'll need to buy a code reader.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i went through and signed up for the free for 3 years service for my used 2013. i installed phone app and everything on the app states 'upgrade needed'.

i thought at least some of it would work.....?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
i went through and signed up for the free for 3 years service for my used 2013. i installed phone app and everything on the app states 'upgrade needed'.

You may be entitled to a 3 month trial of the full service with a preowned purchase, but "years" makes it sound like you signed up for Basic. Which includes just the keyfob functions (lock, unlock, remote start, etc) and diagnostic telemetry (your monthly email with systems statuses and VoltStats works). That does leave of "upgrade needed" on the apps.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

The OnStar Basic Plan services include the OnStar Remote app’s Key Fob services, but the Vehicle Status and Map Location services require an upgraded OnStar plan. Same thing applies with the newly revised MyChevrolet app. Because it is an OnStar plan, your Volt data continues to be available on the MyVolt.com site, and stats also remain available for Volts registered on Voltstats.net.

·
Registered
29 Posts
thanks. keyfob section of the app even says 'upgrade now' lol. maybe it's due to me not giving them my credit card number?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts