GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with a Chevrolet engineer in the summer of 2011 regarding upcoming testing about the viability of towing the Volt behind a motorhome for instance. This would be four wheels on the ground. Any results to report?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I spoke with a Chevrolet engineer in the summer of 2011 regarding upcoming testing about the viability of towing the Volt behind a motorhome for instance. This would be four wheels on the ground. Any results to report?
I was curious too, but the manual says no. You need a dolly or a trailer.

·
Administrator
20,346 Posts
I have never thought about towing toads. Is this a regional thing, haha?

3,605 Posts
@ JulieJoule,

The Volt is not capable of being flat towed behind a motor home. The result of the test was that there is not enough lubrication of the moving components in the transmission while the vehicle is turned off. The Volt requires a dolly for the front wheels at a minimum. If you have any further questions, please let me know how we can be of assistance.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Prevost coach will have to pull a dolly-volt then!
...great info, now this is what forums (bb's) were made for :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the word has evolved over time from "towed". There is even a small town in Canada (either Yukon or British Columbia) that became "Toad River" because of the fact that in the early days of the "Alaska Highway" (formerly "AlCan") at that location, you had to have your vehicle "towed" across the river. Motorhome enthusiasts now use the term "toad". Go figure.
By the way, if you ever stop at "Toad River" in Canada, the food is excellent at the road house there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
@ JulieJoule,

The Volt is not capable of being flat towed behind a motor home. The result of the test was that there is not enough lubrication of the moving components in the transmission while the vehicle is turned off. The Volt requires a dolly for the front wheels at a minimum. If you have any further questions, please let me know how we can be of assistance.
Tow dolly's are a big pain in the a... What about using a Remco's Axle-lock Coupling to allow flat towing ?

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/towing/towing_products_by_remco.html

·
Registered
312 Posts
Since there is no transmission in a Volt, I don't think any of those products will work. I don't really see a place to even hook up something like that since the front half-shafts go right through the motor.

3,605 Posts
@ ctdeng0,

That will not make a difference, it still needs fluid pressure generated by the internal pumps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Charging via towing???

@ JulieJoule,

The Volt is not capable of being flat towed behind a motor home. The result of the test was that there is not enough lubrication of the moving components in the transmission while the vehicle is turned off.
But, what if the vehicle was turned ON?
Would towing it behind an RV then charge the car (as if you were just coasting down a mountain?)

3,605 Posts
But, what if the vehicle was turned ON?
Would towing it behind an RV then charge the car (as if you were just coasting down a mountain?)
Good Afternoon Gbergman,

Great question, the Volt was not validated to operate in that condition. This could lead to damages and unforeseen complications. I recommend sticking to the towing method indicated in your owner's manual.

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kind of late to this discussion but does the Volt have any means of connecting it's tail/brake lights to the towing vehicle when the Volt is on a dolly?

·
1,027 Posts
Good Afternoon Gbergman,

Great question, the Volt was not validated to operate in that condition. This could lead to damages and unforeseen complications. I recommend sticking to the towing method indicated in your owner's manual.

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service
If you left a key in it and left it in D ( L would be too much drag )I don't see why it wouldn't work then. Except you'd be wasting a ton of "miles" going on the odo for no reason. If D had creep disabled it would be perfect. I don't know if being in N would work the transmission enough. I suppose you could run a OBD2 bluetooth app and watch the temps and test it if that's the only concern.

Of course, the whole thing could just be a CYA thing and nothing would happen at all.

If you were in warranty I don't see how they could prove you've done such a thing. Just buckle up that seat belt :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts