GM Volt Forum banner

Found more heat!

5K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Voltyblue 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday, after preconditioning my 2017 Volt Premier for 20 minutes while plugged into a Level 2 EVSE, I started the Volt but was not satisfied with the amount of heat coming from the vents. My climate control had been set to Automatic, Recirculate, Max with the cabin temperature control set to HI. The temperature in my garage was 22F/-5C, The outside air temperature was 17F/-8C and falling.

After starting the Volt I switched from Automatic to manual climate control settings and pressed the Defrost (not Max Defrost), the center dashboard vents (the button with the graphic of the seated passenger) and the floor vents. I immediately noticed a significant increase in the amount of warm air and air temperature. Within a minute or so I had to lower the fan speed from maximum to just below half speed and change the cabin temperature setting to 76F. Who knew the Volt could put out that much heat using only the electric heater?

I only had to travel a few miles, later that night (just after the start of New Year), when I used the MyChevrolet App to precondition the Volt (not plugged in this time) the ICE immediately started as the outside air temperature had fallen to 15F/-9C. I repeated my earlier experiment, changing from Automatic to manual climate settings and was immediately rewarded with much warmer air blowing from the vents and had to moderate the fan speed down from maximum and the cabin temperature setting from HI to 76F.

Of course your mileage may vary but if you are unsatisfied with the output of your Volt's cabin heater I suggest you experiment with manually setting the Volt's climate controls.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yesterday, after preconditioning my 2017 Volt Premier for 20 minutes while plugged into a Level 2 EVSE, I started the Volt but was not satisfied with the amount of heat coming from the vents. My climate control had been set to Automatic, Recirculate, Max with the cabin temperature control set to HI. The temperature in my garage was 22F/-5C, The outside air temperature was 17F/-8C and falling.

After starting the Volt I switched from Automatic to manual climate control settings and pressed the Defrost (not Max Defrost), the center dashboard vents (the button with the graphic of the seated passenger) and the floor vents. I immediately noticed a significant increase in the amount of warm air and air temperature. Within a minute or so I had to lower the fan speed from maximum to just below half speed and change the cabin temperature setting to 76F. Who knew the Volt could put out that much heat using only the electric heater?

I only had to travel a few miles, later that night (just after the start of New Year), when I used the MyChevrolet App to precondition the Volt (not plugged in this time) the ICE immediately started as the outside air temperature had fallen to 15F/-9C. I repeated my earlier experiment, changing from Automatic to manual climate settings and was immediately rewarded with much warmer air blowing from the vents and had to moderate the fan speed down from maximum and the cabin temperature setting from MAX to 76F.

Of course your mileage may vary but if you are unsatisfied with the output of your Volt's cabin heater I suggest you experiment with manually setting the Volt's climate controls.
When you switched off Automatic did you still have the MAX button on? Also curious as to what EV range was shown before you started out and unplugged. I am interested in trying out your settings as I am not totally satisfied with my 2017 Volt heating performance in the cold...but I am not sure that I fully understand how it works.

#4 ·
Yes, I had the button for Max (electric) heat pressed.

The (estimated) EV range when plugged has been dropping (I believe it most recently read 47) when unplugged the EV ranged had dropped but I did not note the range, I will have to test it again.

#6 ·
Thanks. It has been my understanding that either MAX or ECO has to be selected to get any heat...all the other buttoms just direct where the air goes and fan speed (auto, or manual adjustment of fan speed with the dial). The temperature select dial is only in play if you are in ECO or MAX mode. This is my understanding, but I may be wrong. Normal for EV range to drop while preconditioning...even when plugged in because the electric heat takes more juice than the 110 wall outlet puts out. Not sure about being plugged into 240.

#8 ·
Thanks for that info...just what I was looking for. I won't pre-condition anymore unless it is freezing cold outside. I like to start with as much EV range as possible. I don't mind running the ICE to get the cabin up to temp using the climate control.....I can use heated steering wheel and heated seats to get comfy until the ICE is up to temp and making real cabin heat.
I wonder how much EV range Bolt owners are losing when they precondition on 240?

#10 · (Edited)
Here is some updated data:

Preconditioned for 20 minutes while plugged in Level 2, garage was 27F, outside temp was 21F and falling. After preconditioning the estimated EV range was 44 miles, the kWh deficit reading on the Energy screen was 0.6kWh (maybe only 2 miles of EV range was lost). Drove 2.2 miles, again changed climate control from Automatic to manual with fan at medium high, then just below halfway, Heat was set to Max, recirculate the Defrost, Dashboard and Floor vent buttons all turned on. Cabin temperature was set to 76F then I soon dropped temp setting to 75 along with lowering the fan speed as it too warm (I was wearing a winter parka.) After parking for 1 hour, again preconditioned (not plugged in for 8 minutes) the estimated EV range was 38. Drove the same route home (2.2 miles) the estimated EV range when I arrived home was 34 miles. Total kWh consumed was 3.5kWh. Outside temperature had fallen to 19F. The MPGe number for the completed trip was 34.1. I estimate that I reduced my effective EV range by half but it was worth it as i was toasty warm the entire time I was inside my Volt.

#20 ·
On my Gen 1 I always get better heat out of the face vents than floor or defrost. Just seems warmer and quickly heats up the cabin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.