GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our new 2013 Volt has developed TWO distinct interior rattles/noises. So I removed everything from the car to help eliminate possible causes and as I was emptying the rear storage area (EVSE and tire pump) I found this rattling around

After looking at our 2012 I discovered it is supposed to prevent unintended opening/servicing of the battery coolant.

Not sure why it was removed or by whom, but it eliminated the rattle/clunking I heard in the rear of the car. ODD to say the least.

My second rattle is clearly in the dash behind the glove box or up near the passenger air bag so I be taking my car back to the dealer to re-install this device and find and fix the annoying dash rattle.

Anyone else experience the same rattle in around the passenger side dash?

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the annoying dash rattle where yours is. I had to wedge a piece of thin rubber between the a pillar and the dash.

The colder it gets the more things rattle inside my volt. Very annoying.

Something is rattling right by my ear where the seatbelt attaches to b pillar.

I have a rattle around the dome light on the ceiling. It stops when I press on it.

I have a rattle in the trunk area too.

I use to be a quiet car......

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
232 Posts
My second rattle is clearly in the dash behind the glove box or up near the passenger air bag so I be taking my car back to the dealer to re-install this device and find and fix the annoying dash rattle.
I brought my 2013 in to get the backup camera replaced and while it was there I told them I had a rattle emanating from the front passenger side airbag. I know this because if I jammed the infotainment manual in the crack between the dash and the cover the rattle stopped. They said they opened up the compartment and tightened everything up and put it back together and lo and behold the rattle is gone.

Rattles drive me crazy.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
ODD to say the least.
At first glance, I thought that was OCD. :p

Thanks for sharing. I have so many loose items in my car right now, I wouldn't be able to distinguish between what is a car rattle and what is a rattler (hopefully, I don't have any of those hanging out in the back). :confused:

·
Registered
716 Posts
The colder it gets the more things rattle inside my volt. Very annoying.

I have a rattle around the dome light on the ceiling. It stops when I press on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yep, I have the dome light rattle as well. In fact, as the weather gets colder, it seems the entire headliner (roof interior) likes to rattle almost like the snare on a snare drum. Drives me NUTS. So I push up on it (which drives my wife nuts) once in awhile and that stops it for awhile. Yeah, I do LOVE my 2012, but sure wish GM was a bit smarter about rattle/buzz prevention in the interior. Seems to me Honda was able to lick that problem years ago. Really, one reason I am not inclined to go for the ELR (besides the off-putting price tag) is my lack of faith in GM's ability to field an interior that is long-term rattle/buzz resistant. And no matter how "concierge" they promise to be on the maintenance services with the ELR, I simply do not want to be taking the car in because of rattles/buzzes -- can't stand the inconvenience of a car in the shop.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have a light rattle in the back, nothing major. Not much else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also had a light rattle in the back. GM sent out a recall on this, I believe, that involved replacing the storage box between the seats. The dealer said my storage box was ok and was not rattling. Well, it was selective and only rattled for me. It appeared the hinges had enough slack in them to allow some noise at times. Not much - just enough to drive me crazy. I solved the problem by stuffing a towel in the box that was big enough so that the lid would have to be forced down slightly to make it latch. This would put enough stress on the hinges to keep them tight. Problem solved. It limits my use of that storage space but I will pay that price to quiet the
slight but annoying rattle.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Rattles and squeaks are inevitable in any car. They can be very difficult to pin down sometimes. I once had some spare change in a small compartment in the dash that drove me nuts for two months before I figured out it was just pocket change in the "change compartment".

Good luck silencing all the rattles. As soon as you stop one... Anther one will pop up somewhere else. It happens to Chevy's. It happens to Mercedees. It happens to Lexus's. It happens to BMW's. It happens to Rolls Royces. It happens to all cars that get driven over bumpy roads.

As long as Americans refuse to invest in infrastructure improvements & road repairs you can expect a few more rattles in your future too.
;-)

·
Administrator
20,670 Posts

Anyone else experience the same rattle in around the passenger side dash?

Cheers

Tom
You can take a look behind the glove box to see if there is anything obvious, Bazinga. See this thread on installing an air filter for the cabin air. It shows how to see behind the glove box. Pretty easy. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?33873-Install-Cabin-Air-Filter&highlight=air+filter

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can take a look behind the glove box to see if there is anything obvious, Bazinga. See this thread on installing an air filter for the cabin air. It shows how to see behind the glove box. Pretty easy. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?33873-Install-Cabin-Air-Filter&highlight=air+filter
great thread! now I just need to find my LED flash light and hope my knees can take the kneeling... Man I hate getting old.

I'll let you know if I was able to find anything easily corrected by myself.

·
Registered
906 Posts
my volt rattles more than my Jeep wrangler :(

Ive fixed them as they come each and every one.. EXCEPT the annoying 'buzz-rattle' behind the passenger glove compartment... that one has been elusive... the rest of them were either seatbelts.. loose screws or such.. I wish I could nail that dash rattle.. of course it goes away when I take it to the dealer because I run the heater on 75-80 so its warm enough to make the rattle go away
-Christopher

·
Registered
90 Posts
So my Volt has been in the shop off and on for a couple of weeks to sort out rattles. Rattle 1 was under the rear seats -- they found an extra nut rolling around underneath the carpet in the rear floorboard. Rattle 2 was in the front center console. They found two finger-tight bolts on a bracket that connects the center console to the floorpan on the driver's side.

The persistent rattles have been in the rear hatch. GM Engineering has been involved and so far they've found that the rear spoiler on the passenger side was loose, the rear window glass was mounted 1/2" further inward on the passenger side causing the rear defroster connector to rattle against the glass, the inner trim below the lower rear glass was warped and mounted incorrectly, and the rear hatch is missing some inner welds where the rear hatch struts mount.

They have a new rear hatch and inner trim on order, scheduled to arrive for painting and installation late next week.

I'm not happy that my car is less than 6 months old with significant assembly issues, but the dealership and GM have stepped up and taken care of me -- dropping off loaner cars and picking the car up rather than making me drive in, reimbursing me for gas, providing me daily updates, and more importantly not brushing my concerns off and ensuring they make things right. The service has made all of the difference in this situation and I am looking forward to getting my car back.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry you guys have rattles. My year old Volt doesn't have any.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have some minor ones that come and go with temperature fluctuations. Interestingly, the rattles are similar to the sound and locations of the rattles in my Caddy - around the door at the B pillar area and in the dash near the passenger airbag. I get rid of them with the radio volume.

·
Registered
791 Posts
All rattles to some degree are normal and found in all cars. I have one that appears in the hatch area when the temperature drops.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nothing cheapens a car like a rattle.

I have a rattle that is possibly the same rattle, coming from either the passenger side dash or maybe the engine compartment. It happens fairly regularly when taking off in CS mode. Been doing it since I bought it new. Doesn't ever happen in EV mode, making me suspect it's something in the engine compartment. But it does kind of sound like it's coming from the passenger side dash. Hard to diagnose without a helper (which I haven't had), because you have to be driving to make it happen. This rattle really annoys me because I have to drive in CS mode every week.

I wouldn't say rattles are to be expected. The new Fords we have owned have had no rattles (a 2011 Mustang and a 2012 Escape). Nor does my 1995 Jeep Wrangler. Also had a 2008 Jeep Wrangler and a 2008 Jeep Liberty for a few years, neither of which ever had any rattles. I've always been skeptical of Chevy fit and finish, and unfortunately my personal vehicle history reinforces this.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Something is rattling right by my ear where the seatbelt attaches to b pillar.
I've got that one too in my 2013. Don't know if I should have them take the pillar apart and possibly make it worse or just let it go. It's intermittent, which makes it even harder for them to find.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thought I owed a follow up from yesterday's suggestion by Steverino to pull the glove box panel where the cabin filter sits and take a peak inside, I'm not sure what I did other than to feel around and push a wire bundle "around" and after buttoning it up I took the car for a 35 mile drive over the worst roughest roads I knew and low and behold problem solved.

So now our 2013 Volt is as bank vault TIGHT as our 2012 Volt.

So the bottom line is yes some Volt's like EVERY car ever made can and will have a stray rattle, buzz or squeak they can be hunted down and fixed. The main thing for me is how SOLID the body/frame is. Misaligned/affixed accessories/parts can be found on any car.

·
8,680 Posts
Not sure why it was removed or by whom, but it eliminated the rattle/clunking I heard in the rear of the car. ODD to say the least.
What we were told a year and a half ago was that these brackets weren't installed from the factory - it was the dealer's job to install it as part of the PDI. The first several months after the line changed to include the battery "fix," we had a rash of "what is this" posts about it, because the dealers didn't get the message consistently. My guess is that the bracket was never installed in your car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts