GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the new Volt out for breakfast with the family this morning and the rear seat passenger said that the rear cup holders are too shallow and uneven...

2015-10-24 12.21.52 (Small).jpg

However upon closer inspection after removing the bottom rubber cupholder cover... look what the factory left us...

2015-10-24 12.22.03 (Small).jpg

All that weight! At least 0.5kw of extra usage for nothing! :p

In all seriousness, I'm wonder what they actually go to. They are pretty stout nuts... My first thought is the seats, but I see that those use torx bolts. Perhaps the rear seat belts?

If anyone has any idea, I've love to hear it.

-Ed

·
Registered
43 Posts
Took the new Volt out for breakfast with the family this morning and the rear seat passenger said that the rear cup holders are too shallow and uneven...

View attachment 90322

However upon closer inspection after removing the bottom rubber cupholder cover... look what the factory left us...

View attachment 90330

All that weight! At least 0.5kw of extra usage for nothing! :p

In all seriousness, I'm wonder what they actually go to. They are pretty stout nuts... My first thought is the seats, but I see that those use torx bolts. Perhaps the rear seat belts?

If anyone has any idea, I've love to hear it.

-Ed
Hope those are extras and not supposed to be installed somewhere... :p

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I've heard the rear cup-holder described as a "nut holder" for the center rear passenger. You've just proven that is correct.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The battery emergency cut-off plug is under the rear cup holders, according to the Gen 2 Volt cutout shown in January.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I've heard the rear cup-holder described as a "nut holder" for the center rear passenger. You've just proven that is correct.

:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I noticed that the original photo is of a LTZ which has standard heated rear seats, and the last photo is with the LT sans heated seats. Could that be related to what ever is needed to heat the seats?

·
Registered
13,941 Posts
Ouch, I'm feeling pain in that area just thinking about it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are rolling on the floor laughing at these.

I think I'll open the center console to see if anything obvious shows up. I should probably mention it to the dealer to get it on the record in case something important breaks.

-Ed

·
Registered
211 Posts
reminds me of back in the seventies I had a friend who had a new ford pick up. every time he stopped or accelerated you could hear something rolling around. never did find out what it was. Years later a met somebody that worked in the plant and told me if they were POed at management they would put a socket in a rocker panel.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
reminds me of back in the seventies I had a friend who had a new ford pick up. every time he stopped or accelerated you could hear something rolling around. never did find out what it was. Years later a met somebody that worked in the plant and told me if they were POed at management they would put a socket in a rocker panel.
Not going to mention which of the big three my friend worked for. His rules were, never buy a car a month or two after you hear they are doing negotiations especially if they are bad or a strike happens. Don't buy a car that might be built near a holiday. If I were to buy one, order it and get the information and they will "fix it up" which in the case of a car one friend bought meant a high end radio stuck under the seats that required a five minute swap and a few more goodies.

As for "special knocks" and squeaks. bubblicious. Chew up a big wad, stick to the inside of a panel. Bend nylon clips a few times to weaken them. Also, wax will hold some stuff through inspection and separate while on the lot. All sorts of fun to be had

·
Registered
13,941 Posts
Not going to mention which of the big three my friend worked for. His rules were, never buy a car a month or two after you hear they are doing negotiations especially if they are bad or a strike happens. Don't buy a car that might be built near a holiday. If I were to buy one, order it and get the information and they will "fix it up" which in the case of a car one friend bought meant a high end radio stuck under the seats that required a five minute swap and a few more goodies.

As for "special knocks" and squeaks. bubblicious. Chew up a big wad, stick to the inside of a panel. Bend nylon clips a few times to weaken them. Also, wax will hold some stuff through inspection and separate while on the lot. All sorts of fun to be had
It's this kind of mentality that really irks me. What happened to pride in workmanship, doing an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. We also see stuff similar to this in today's young grads who spent a lifetime on soccer fields being congratulated that everyone is a winner, then they expect everything in life to be handed to them because they are special. There's no doubt that decades of mistrust and concessions have made it tougher for auto workers to make the huge money that they used to, but the fighting shouldn't be between labor and management, but between the American autoworker and the competition from abroad. The Koreans have made huge inroads in the marketplace despite having horrible products when they first started. The Chinese will be next, and they have billions of people hungry to take that business away from us if we can't be competitive. Just like virtually every smartphone and laptop is manufactured abroad, we will see more and more cars built elsewhere if we can't resolve these issues right here at home.

</soapbox>

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still haven't found where the bolts go.. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts