GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier tonight, I was driving around with my son, who was sitting behind me in a car seat. We reach the store, and I jump in the backseat to do a cleanup before go in. Well, once I finish with that, I attempt to open the door to get out, but I CAN'T!!! :) I realize that all the child safety features are on, and I'm stuck --- door won't open and window won't lower. Sure, I could squeeze my way through the front, but then I realize... the remote in my pocket can open all windows. And that's exactly what I used it for... once my window was down, I simply reached my hand through the window opening and opened the door from the outside.

And just like that, I find a purpose for lowering all windows with the remote.

:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
iPhone onStar app

if you had a mobile phone, you could call onStar. or better yet use the iphone onStar app to unlock - if you had it in your pocket.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think that's something GM needs to address. Even with OnStar, are they're able to allow you to open the rear doors when the child safety is engaged?

I was stuck in the rear seat once with the child safety on. All doors was unlocked. However, it won't let me open the rear door. Plus, it was super cold out and all I have is a long sleeve shirt. What a nightmare! I weigh about 240 lbs, and height is about 5 feet 11 inches. Boy, did I struggle getting to the front seats. I'm glad I was able to exit out of the vehicle. What I did was open up the front passenger door from the back seat, and stretched as much as possible to reach the rear door handle from the outside and unlatch the door.

GM needs to address this problem. We are protecting children. But, what about freaking adults from getting killed in the car because they can't get out!?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I think that's something GM needs to address. Even with OnStar, are they're able to allow you to open the rear doors when the child safety is engaged?

I was stuck in the rear seat once with the child safety on. All doors was unlocked. However, it won't let me open the rear door. Plus, it was super cold out and all I have is a long sleeve shirt. What a nightmare! I weigh about 240 lbs, and height is about 5 feet 11 inches. Boy, did I struggle getting to the front seats. I'm glad I was able to exit out of the vehicle. What I did was open up the front passenger door from the back seat, and stretched as much as possible to reach the rear door handle from the outside and unlatch the door.

GM needs to address this problem. We are protecting children. But, what about freaking adults from getting killed in the car because they can't get out!?
This feature isn't new or unique to GM or the Volt. My various cars have had it for the last couple of decades.

Did you have your key/remote with you? If so, you could have done what that OP described at the head of this thread. Alternatively, if you have a child, reliably, only at one end of the back seat you could disable the door latch only on the side that the child is placed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
With Volt button on the driver side? I know there's a lock mechanism for cars to enable child locks on the back door of most cars. Volt doesn't have that same mechanical controls. Seems to lock both sides.

This feature isn't new or unique to GM or the Volt. My various cars have had it for the last couple of decades.

Did you have your key/remote with you? If so, you could have done what that OP described at the head of this thread. Alternatively, if you have a child, reliably, only at one end of the back seat you could disable the door latch only on the side that the child is placed.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
With Volt button on the driver side? I know there's a lock mechanism for cars to enable child locks on the back door of most cars. Volt doesn't have that same mechanical controls. Seems to lock both sides.
Obviously I didn't think this through. No children in our household anymore, so I haven't used the feature yet.

·
4,879 Posts
if you had a mobile phone, you could call onStar. or better yet use the iphone onStar app to unlock - if you had it in your pocket.
No, the point was he couldn't because the child locks were engaged. He could go to the front doors but it was easier for him to roll the windows down with the fob.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
No, the point was he couldn't because the child locks were engaged. He could go to the front doors but it was easier for him to roll the windows down with the fob.
Why couldn't he just reach trough the two front seats and press the door unlock button?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Why couldn't he just reach trough the two front seats and press the door unlock button?
Because the inside door latch handles are disabled, whether the doors are locked or not.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Because the inside door latch handles are disabled, whether the doors are locked or not.
Oh, got it. Thanks! Kinda gives away the fact that I've never used the child safety locks in my Volt. ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think this requires a change. I was struggling out in the cold trying to wiggle out the front passenger door to open the back door. I thought something was broken. I waited for several minutes to see if my wife knows I'm in the car. But, she never came out of the house. Man, I was so cold.

GM, this is ridiculous! Please fix this issue ASAP! I have two kids who are under two years old. Sometime when I travel with one and accidentally shut the door when I go and cater to my kid at a rest stop or whatever by sitting on the opposite side where the child seat is, I would have a hard time getting back out! Who knows. If I'm stuck in the mountains that nobody knows where I am, I would definitely get upset real quick!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
And what would you change? Child door locks are to prevent the child from opening the rear doors from the inside. Are you asking us to recognize an adult in the back seat and open the door? How do you handle the case of an incompetent adult where you don't want them to be able to open the door.

·
Registered
435 Posts
LOL. To not push and shove people. I will answer the first question with a solution. And take the other questions as a joke. Child safety is a must. However, there also must be ways for someone to get out in case of an emergency. For example, in the past there were no unlatch mechanism in the trunk of a car. When someone died, all manufacturers (by federal regulations) had to have that safety mechanism to open the trunk of a car in an emergency.

Install a mechanism, atleast, to allow a way for someone to open the door from the inside when the car is idle. That is a start. If someone wants to be colorful in the design, then go at it.

And what would you change? Child door locks are to prevent the child from opening the rear doors from the inside. Are you asking us to recognize an adult in the back seat and open the door? How do you handle the case of an incompetent adult where you don't want them to be able to open the door.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I haven't locked myself in the back seat but I have accidentally locked passengers back there. I had inadvertently engaged the child safety lock. Who knows how long I have been driving around that way as I rarely have back seat passengers (and certainly no kids).

I did get my "roll all the windows down" feature disabled by my dealer and this particular instance is not going to be enough to make me want to have it re-enabled. I don't like the thought of accidentally rolling all of my windows down during a storm. Fortunately for me I never did that, but I did roll them down by accident on two different occasions.

BTW, is "roll down the windows" still the appropriate thing to say? My 2002 Saturn does not have power windows so you do indeed need to roll them down ...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I got caught like this, too, passenger side rear, but I'm a lot smaller and managed to wriggle my way to the switch. It's the interior layout of the Volt that makes this so difficult.

If the switch was moved from the driver's door to somewhere front and centre, that would be an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I've never been in this situation, but from either side of the back seat, you can operate the lever to lean the seat back in front of you forward. That gives me enough room to reach the child lock button on the driver's door pretty easily.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thought the child lock button is active only when the car is ON. I got to try it again.

To answer the question. I am not an Olympic Gymnast by the way.

Edit: I meant, to toggle disable the lock I must need to have the car turned on, right?

I've never been in this situation, but from either side of the back seat, you can operate the lever to lean the seat back in front of you forward. That gives me enough room to reach the child lock button on the driver's door pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Thought the child lock button is active only when the car is ON. I got to try it again.

To answer the question. I am not an Olympic Gymnast by the way.

Edit: I meant, to toggle disable the lock I must need to have the car turned on, right?
Sure enough, the car has to be on. Obviously, I have never used this feature on purpose. In that case, the sequence in an emergency is to move the seat back in front of you to give you room to hold the power button for five seconds to put the car in service mode, then hit the child safety lock button. You can do all that without reaching the brake pedal. Just remember to turn the car back off, because in service mode, it is running on the 12V battery only. I just tried this, and it works. Maybe this should be in the owners manual for those that get trapped in the back seat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts