GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FCA just started going off when I start the car and when I'm stopped at a traffic light? The display shows the bars directly in front of the car lighting up. It lasts for maybe 5 min or so, but it's annoying. Anyone have any ideas or should I just bring it in for service?? Thanks,

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried and nothing changed. When setting, the more bars the more sensitive. Correct?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is clean. I did wipe the sensors. I did recently have a recall performed for engine chugging. They reprogrammed something. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Early on I found that the max sensitivity setting caused too many false positives. I've left it in the mid setting ever since.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I have to try that. I changed it to minimum but nothing changed. Maybe mid would be different. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Are you sure it is not you parking warning? When in the garage and you start the car and shift the warning will go off until you exceed a certain speed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been happening when I leave work. Lasts for a few minutes as I stop at lights and drive - sometimes without anyone in front of me. The diagram of the car shows up with the radar lines directly in front of the car. I've cleaned the sensors and made sure there was nothing blocking them. I think Service needs to look at it since I never had this before and it just started a few days ago.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope this will help others in the future. My problem was my front license plate frame. ??? I didn't believe it because I've had the frame since I got the car 7 months ago, but for some reason it was being picked up. The dealer had to call GM because the car wasn't throwing any error codes and they couldn't figure it out. GM told them. The frame was taken off and the problem was solved. Technology - you gotta love it. FYI guys.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
I hope this will help others in the future. My problem was my front license plate frame. The frame was taken off and the problem was solved.
Thanks! Wow, that is weird. Was this a standard plate frame that came with the car or something aftermarket? Was it mounted incorrectly?

What happens in states that require a front license?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks! Wow, that is weird. Was this a standard plate frame that came with the car or something aftermarket? Was it mounted incorrectly?

I think there may be a difference between the "front license plate mounting bracket" and a "plate frame" that is indicated as impacting the issue. Hopefully the poster can clarify.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The license plate frame is a plastic frame around the license plate that makes it look pretty, the mounting bracket is the extra piece that's bolted into the front bumper and the plate mounts to

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

This was a chrome frame not mounting bracket. It wasn't large. Very plain. Not one of the big chain designs you sometimes see. I guess it was large enough for the car to pick up on it. I didn't believe them at first, but removing it did solve the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hope this will help others in the future. My problem was my front license plate frame. ??? I didn't believe it because I've had the frame since I got the car 7 months ago, but for some reason it was being picked up. The dealer had to call GM because the car wasn't throwing any error codes and they couldn't figure it out. GM told them. The frame was taken off and the problem was solved. Technology - you gotta love it. FYI guys.
I had the same problem the day I picked up my MY17. I posted the solution in another thread on the subject. In my case, there was no extra frame, but the plate was slightly bent and the edge sticking up from the plastic mount was apparently reflecting enough of the ultrasound back to the sensor to set it off. When I got home, I removed the plate, fixed the bend and reinstalled, eliminating the gap which completely solved the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well I am happy that the issue was resolved, lucky for me we do not have front license plates in my province. I also told the dealer that if they installed a front plate for their personal publicity that I wasn't taking delivery of the car. He reassured me that they do not installed front plates. Can't wait to get the car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My FCA just started going off when I start the car and when I'm stopped at a traffic light? The display shows the bars directly in front of the car lighting up. It lasts for maybe 5 min or so, but it's annoying. Anyone have any ideas or should I just bring it in for service?? Thanks,
My first trip to Service I was told the sensor was going off due to my license plate frame I added to the car. I have the car for 7 months with the frame but for some reason this started. Frame removed. Problem gone. 2 weeks later problem started. I took it to Service again and was told that the license plate mounting bracket was loose and needed to be tightened. They held the car for 3 days. Seems to be ok now. Sounds crazy to me that the GM engineers didn't take into account a front license plate for those states that require it, but all is good now. FYI guys.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My car just started this only (mostly) it's the right front sensor that "sees" objects. It started roughly at the same time as the installation of a 3M clear bra which lacked the cutout for the sensor thus covers it.

My ques: Would this explain why my car is doing this? If so, I can carefully cut an opening so the film does not cover the sensor and see if that solves it. (Hopefully, I won't butcher it trying to do it.)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My car just started this only (mostly) it's the right front sensor that "sees" objects. It started roughly at the same time as the installation of a 3M clear bra which lacked the cutout for the sensor thus covers it.

My ques: Would this explain why my car is doing this? If so, I can carefully cut an opening so the film does not cover the sensor and see if that solves it. (Hopefully, I won't butcher it trying to do it.)
Speaking from what I just went through, I would say it is a possibility the the bra is causing it. I'm sure you've wiped the sensor and checked it for dirt. I'd try uncovering the sensor. Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts