GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that adaptive cruise control comes with a different automatic forward braking safety feature as well -- I'm trying to figure out how different they actually are. Any thoughts? If you have this, have you ever triggered it? Good or bad?

I'm on the side that I recognize that even good drivers are not always perfect, or perfectly aware -- so some of these tools are nifty. Just trying to figure out what is worth prioritizing, and what isn't ready for prime time.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Have the low speed auto braking in our 16 Premier since I only have regular cruise control. The high speed one only comes with the adaptive cruise control which was only offered in 17. My low speed collision warning/auto braking was triggered twice in slow stop and go traffic, once it stopped me from rear ending someone. I installed a collision and pedestrian avoidance warning system (Mobileye) in my 18 LT. It acts much the same in terms of warning you, except it won’t automatically brake. So far it has probably had me avoid one minor rear ended also. I personally think the warning is the most important aspect. I think I made a better economic decision with the LT while maintaining the warning system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm not exactly familiar with how the non-ACC equipped cars deal with friction braking, but ACC equipped cars seem to have total control of the braking system. It's used whenever the ACC brings the car to a complete stop and the one instance the emergncy high speed brakng saved my bacon at freeway speeds was very impressive. I was following another car (a bit too closely) on a 4 lane highway - not a freeway - without the ACC engaged, trying to find a hole in the left lane so I could pass him, glancing in my side mirror from time to time, when they guy I was following slammed on his brakes to exit stage right. This happened while I was glancing in the mirror and my first indication that anything was happening was when the Volt unexpectedly tried throwing me through the windshield!!

When we were shopping for a used Volt, we only looked at ACC equipped cars - Love the cruise and use it all the time, often n bumper to bumper city traffic - and that one instance . . . . which happened on the trip home from Iowa where we bought the car . . . . made me really glad we hadn't settled on a non-ACC car - 90% sure we would have had an accident on the way home, because I sure couldn't have avoided rear ending that car myself . . . .

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts