GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Interesting that she is a Volt owner. It seems most agree that we need a nation-wide, unaffiliated fast charging network. The question now is, who is going to pay for it? The ROI isn't there for businesses, and good luck getting the government to spend money on anything that doesn't support their existing corporate sponsors.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
We need a single national standard. We can't have several different charging solutions and we certainly can't expect manufactures to include those different standards in their vehicles.

Think of what life would be like if there were several competing electrical standards for residential construction here in the US. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
We need a single national standard. We can't have several different charging solutions and we certainly can't expect manufactures to include those different standards in their vehicles.

Think of what life would be like if there were several competing electrical standards for residential construction here in the US. Am I missing something?
There are. A house can have 15A outlets, 20A outlets, 220V outlets, etc.
I agree having the same "plug" on each plugin vehicle would be a good thing.
Right now though, how do you choose which one?

The market will decide based on capability, convenience and cost.

·
Banned
301 Posts
I am hoping for a more Tesla like standard because after using Chademo, J1772 and Tesla. There is no comparison in ease, portability and charge rate.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 15 amp 110v plug will fit into a 20 amp outlet. We need something similar for high energy EVSE connectors.

We should not confuse the charge rate limits of different EVs with how convenient the currently available physical connectors might be.

KNS

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I am hoping for a more Tesla like standard because after using Chademo, J1772 and Tesla. There is no comparison in ease, portability and charge rate.
It's hard to argue that the Tesla connector isn't the best. Nevertheless, almost every non-Japanese automaker has already started down the SAE J1772 Combo path. So it certainly appears that any future public DCFC infrastructure would be based of SAE Combo, even though the Supercharger network has a huge head start.

Wireless. Forget the connectors.
SAE just published their wireless standard, J2954. But it currently only goes up to 22 kW. http://insideevs.com/sae-approves-wireless-charging-standard-tir-j2954/

Idk enough about the technical hurdles for wireless charging on passenger vehicles to get up into the 100kW+ range to say whether or not wireless fast chargers are an option on the short-term or mid-term horizon.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The SAE J1772 committee is made up of representatives from all the major car manufacturers (I believe that Tesla also participated in the committee). The idea is to establish standards that all participants to comply with. But there are no rules or regulations that say they have to comply to those standards. Many SAE standards have, in the past, been adopted by the Federal regulators which has turned them into "laws", making them enforceable standards. So an easy way to solve the problem, is to have a Federal agency adopt the SAE J1772 definitions and then things will sort themselves out.

Note: I believe that Tesla complies with the protocols in the J1772 standard, just not in the configuration of the connector. In addition they may have established their FC systems before the SAE committee finalized the DCFC definitions - going it alone.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
There are. A house can have 15A outlets, 20A outlets, 220V outlets, etc.
I agree having the same "plug" on each plugin vehicle would be a good thing.
Right now though, how do you choose which one?
The way I see it, every house has 2 phase, 60Hz, 120V power. Everything else is just form factor engineering to keep high current appliances from being inserted into lower current lines that would lead circuit overloads, fires, etc. You chose the form factor most closest to the electrical current requirement. In a perfect world, the plug would be smart and adapt for you (like J1772 does).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts