GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit, not supported by H&R

Has anyone filed for the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit which covers 30% of the EVSE installation? H&R Block's software doesn't support it but they claim it's possible to import a transcript form the IRS. Has anyone done this? If not how did you go about claiming the tax credit? (The $7500 EV tax credit is supported by H&R Block, it's just the EVSE tax credit that isn't).

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Has anyone filed for the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit which covers 30% of the EVSE installation? H&R Block's software doesn't support it but they claim it's possible to import a transcript form the IRS. Has anyone done this? If not how did you go about claiming the tax credit? (The $7500 EV tax credit is supported by H&R Block, it's just the EVSE tax credit that isn't).
When the $7500 tax form wasn't supported, I downloaded the PDF, filled it out, and hand entered the number using the Whole Form feature in H&R Block to scroll to the right spot and enter the number. Alas, I got the volt and the EVSE during the same year, somehow AMT kicked in and negated my eligibility for the 30% EVSE tax benefit. Maybe I earned too much or already had too much coming back to me from the tax credit. Good luck

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
DId you do a paper submission or did you just enter the amount on line 54?

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm in the same boat as llninja. FYI, it's been a while but I recall the Form 8911 when you fill it out using numbers from your 1040 will tell you how much to enter. If it was less than some other line, then you get nothing back. This is why I'm holding off to this year to purchase my 2nd EVSE and have work done to install a dedicated outlet. I'm still waiting for all my stuff from my employer to do my taxes and so have been lazy to even install H&R Block (previously Taxcut).

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
At the risk of thread poaching, I figure I'll ask this while the discussion is still fresh. Does the 8911 include all installation costs? The reason I ask is that our house needs a new panel/breaker box installed, but while the electrician is doing it, I asked him to install an additional 40 A breaker and circuit for a L2 EVSE. The complete work, not counting the EVSE, will be $500, so I'm hoping I can claim it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
At the risk of thread poaching, I figure I'll ask this while the discussion is still fresh. Does the 8911 include all installation costs? The reason I ask is that our house needs a new panel/breaker box installed, but while the electrician is doing it, I asked him to install an additional 40 A breaker and circuit for a L2 EVSE. The complete work, not counting the EVSE, will be $500, so I'm hoping I can claim it.
Yes. Installation costs are included, relative to alternative refueling equipment.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Yes. Installation costs are included, relative to alternative refueling equipment.
That's what I'm worried about. Technically, the panel needs to be replaced anyway (it works right now), but in addition to replacing the panel, he will add a 240 V @ 40 A circuit. And it looks like he's going to run a line to a post so my mom can get to the charger easier. All for $500. Nice to hire local. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's what I'm worried about. Technically, the panel needs to be replaced anyway (it works right now), but in addition to replacing the panel, he will add a 240 V @ 40 A circuit. And it looks like he's going to run a line to a post so my mom can get to the charger easier. All for $500. Nice to hire local. :)
If the 'last straw' i.e. the causal event that drove the panel replacement was the charging unit installation, you've little to worry about. As a CPA, if you were my client I'd advise you to press forward and represent you in an audit (at least as it related to this item) for free - this isn't an issue to be concerned with, should you claim the credit.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
If the 'last straw' i.e. the causal event that drove the panel replacement was the charging unit installation, you've little to worry about. As a CPA, if you were my client I'd advise you to press forward and represent you in an audit (at least as it related to this item) for free - this isn't an issue to be concerned with, should you claim the credit.
Thanks! I was pretty sure it would be okay. I just wanted to ask. Because it will be entered under this year's taxes, it will get presented along with probably $15,000 in solar panel installation.

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
DId you do a paper submission or did you just enter the amount on line 54?
Paper submission. But I do paper submissions anyway. For some reason, submitting electronically bothers me as it is one opportunity for someone to snag my tax data over the Internet. being a tech guy, i'm fully aware of encryption and such, but I figure the postal service still has all sorts of rules and regulations to send people to prison if caught taking the mail, and foreign hackers are almost impossible to prosicute. That's just me.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Paper submission.
Same here - I used that Form for 2013 and 2015 and in one year or in both years the form would not work properly in TurboTax or with TaxSlayer, so I didn't want to miss out on the few hundred bucks in credit and filed with paper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I'm using TurboTax, not H&R Block, but TurboTax did ask me about it.

Unfortunately, the credit only decreases the amount of tax that is owed; if you are getting money back then the credit adds nothing. Didn't realize this until TurboTax told me, not sure if this is well-known and I just missed it on the form. It's ok though, I would have put the EVSE in anyway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also used Turbo Tax. I could not get both the $7500 for the car and the $ for the charging system. I got caught by the alternative income tax. Form 8811 line 17 requires this value from form 6251. The way the alternative income tax works I do not see how a married couple could get both.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Thanks! I was pretty sure it would be okay. I just wanted to ask. Because it will be entered under this year's taxes, it will get presented along with probably $15,000 in solar panel installation.
Note that the EVSE credit gets tied up with the AMT calculation. If AMT applies to you, you might not get the credit.

When we installed our solar system it was useful, though not mandatory, to install a separate sub-panel for it. This was pre-Volt, but I knew I wanted to get some sort of plug-in car soon. Went with the sub-panel and a 14-50 receptacle mounted to it - located right where I would eventually need it for the car. Thus the sub-panel, and such were rolled into the solar credit - which is not subject to AMT calcs. I did have to buy the EVSE itself sans credit though.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I had my breaker box replaced at the same time as the EVSE installation. The EVSE installation was a separate line on the electrician's bill, $375 out of $2800, so I will be deducting the cost of the Clipper Creek EVSE plus the $375 for installation. The maximum credit on form 8911 is $1000, my credit will come to a little less than $300 (the credit is 30%). To the person who was waiting to do an install this year, sorry you are out of luck. The credit lapsed at the end of 2016 unless Congress extended it which as far as I know they didn't.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My evse credit would be less than $150 so I'll eject that to avoid AMT for sure. The trick for me this year is to see how rolling over solar installation costs to the next tax year works because the $7500 tax credit on the car will be enough.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well I'm using TurboTax, not H&R Block, but TurboTax did ask me about it.

Unfortunately, the credit only decreases the amount of tax that is owed; if you are getting money back then the credit adds nothing. Didn't realize this until TurboTax told me, not sure if this is well-known and I just missed it on the form. It's ok though, I would have put the EVSE in anyway.
You are half right. It will decrease the amount of tax owed. But, when it does, that will also increase the amount of your refund. Less tax owed = bigger refund.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts