GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got home after stopping at the grocery store. I popped open the charge port and unloaded my groceries. I planned to plug in the charger after unloading. I got distracted by my dog or something and totally forgot. In the morning when leaving for work I saw the port open and remembered that I had forgotten to charge it. If it had been a Leaf or Tesla I would have been up a creek without any electricity. With the Volt I just ran on gas all day. Anybody else ever forget to charge?

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
I forget all the time, at least 5-10 times per year. If I had a Leaf, I would have been up the creek, but with a tesla, I would have been fine since it has so much range. With the Onstar app, I have it set to text me at 10:30pm if I am not plugged in. It has reduced the number of times I have forgotten, but onstar isn't perfect, there are times it isn't working and doesn't text me. Of course sometimes I get the text and didn't even notice it, that's on me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
No, I have never forgotten, which is surprising in itself. Since I've got a few years on me now I'm constantly forgetting important things. I guess it's because I always make it a habit to plug-in immediately after getting out of the car. Before I do anything else which might offer an opportunity to get distracted.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have an Onstar reminder set to text me at 10pm daily, but still end up missing the text or forgetting about twice a year.

I make it a habit to go back and recheck whenever I've carried anything in from the car. When my hands are occupied leaving the car, I tend to forget to get back to the plug.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
We have forgotten less than a handful of times over the past 5 years. Luckily, the Volt has "backup" range in the form of the gas generator. If I forget to plugin the Bolt EV, it too (like a Tesla) has backup range. In the case of the Bolt EV, I'd have an extra 150 miles to get me to work and back, which would be plenty.

The Volt's battery is typically depleted every day, whereas the Bolt EV and Tesla would not. So missing a charge would not normally be an issue.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Here's a better one, how many times have you turned on hold mode to preserve battery for the remaining trip home then arrived in your driveway with a bunch of EV miles remaining? I'm also guilty of that too many times to count.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have never 'forgotten' to charge. Before I unload anything from the car, I plug in. My L2 evse failed recently, which resulted in me only having a partial charge one morning. I had to charge with 110 for a few days until the replacement came in.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Completely forgot and didn't notice until morning? No. Check and find out I forgot to do it immediately? Yeah, a couple of times. I've gotten into the habit and it's usually the first thing I do when I get out of the car.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I've just gone for a different habit: water the horse first. When I get out of car at home, I plug in *first* before anything else. Only after that's done will I address unloading the car.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Here's a better one, how many times have you turned on hold mode to preserve battery for the remaining trip home then arrived in your driveway with a bunch of EV miles remaining? I'm also guilty of that too many times to count.
Heh. Basically never. Because that "Get home on zero bars but still rolling quiet" game is one of my favorites on a long trip. :) I miss and the engine starts again about one time in five. Once while I was pulling into the lot with nothing more to do but coast while frantically pushing the door open button on the remote and roll down a 40' slope into the garage that would have easily given enough regen to maneuver into the correct space.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Going on 5 years, only forgot once. Had to burn some the next day.

The one time my wife forgot she had used less than half the range and was fine the next day. Now that she has the Spark, she will sometimes think about going out later and leaves the plug till later. That has resulted in no charge overnight a few times when plans changed, but there is always plenty of range left for her commute.

I think forgetting reinforces the "Plug it in" reflex a little stronger...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I've forgotten though sometimes I have been able to charge up before needing the car. I don't think there would be a lot of issue with a Tesla since you're not likely to go more than 50% of its range in any one day. If going on a trip I doubt you'd forget to charge the night before. Ditto for the Bolt EV and the other next generation EVs with more range.

But yes, the Volt gives you an operation free of range concerns unmatched by any BEV.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a pure EV, Fiat 500e. I've had several days when I've either forgotten to plug in, or just decided it wasn't needed. In fact, I didn't plug in yesterday when I got home, but it's no big deal since I still have 63% charge remaining. Of course, my "normal" daily drive is under 20 miles.

If I had a 50 mile commute (I know some unfortunate folks do this!), I'd set some sort of alarm notice. Or have gotten a Volt in the first place.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Never forgot to charge. I'll forget to close the charge door once in a blue moon, but the warning goes off to remind me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've just gone for a different habit: water the horse first. When I get out of car at home, I plug in *first* before anything else. Only after that's done will I address unloading the car.
I bet if you forget to water the horse, you hear about it!

I noticed that I was forgetting to charge, so I built a gizmo for my garage. If my Volt is blocking an electric eye & the EVSE plug is in its holder, a beeper makes noise at me.

Since installing this, I've never forgotten to plug it in. Simple, fool proof & easy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have for years gone through a before-bed routine of checking that all the doors are locked, the stove is off, and the pets in their proper places. I have added a peek at the Volt's dash charge indicator light to my routine. Either blinking or steady is OK, but if there is no light it means I need to plug it in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've just gone for a different habit: water the horse first.

As a person who has taken care of a few hard-working horses I just love that analogy. You just don't forget any more than you'd forget to feed an infant, especially not after they've worked their friendly horsey magic. Horses are wired into us, like dogs. :)

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
I've just gone for a different habit: water the horse first.

As a person who has taken care of a few hard-working horses I just love that analogy. You just don't forget any more than you'd forget to feed an infant, especially not after they've worked their friendly horsey magic. Horses are wired into us, like dogs. :)
If I forget to water the horses, they will Winnie and paw at the water trough, noticeable enough to remind you to fill it. Alas, Onstar is not nearly as reliable at reminding me to plug in my volt.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yesterday I got home after stopping at the grocery store. I popped open the charge port and unloaded my groceries. I planned to plug in the charger after unloading. I got distracted by my dog or something and totally forgot. In the morning when leaving for work I saw the port open and remembered that I had forgotten to charge it. If it had been a Leaf or Tesla I would have been up a creek without any electricity. With the Volt I just ran on gas all day. Anybody else ever forget to charge?
No, you are the first and only one. Everyone else posting in this thread is just trying to make you feel better. :D:)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I never forget to plug-in at the charging station because the power is a half-mile from my home. On long-distance trips, I wish that more charging stations existed. I am planning a trip to the northern Rocky Mountains this summer and will be traveling for hundreds of miles without electricity.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts