GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
"A hybrid version of the iconic Mustang that will deliver V8 power and even more low-end torque."

Maybe this will get GM to build the Voltec SS many here have called for.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hopefully, GM will respond before Ford hits the home run. GM certainly has the inside edge if they choose to do so.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I for one am happy about Fords announcement and this a true SUV with AWD is the red hot segment right now...

I just don't see a Bolt EV or Voltec SS as a competitor...

The 2013 BMW i3 non-Rex already has the same 0-60 as the Bolt EV, mid-6s...MSRP aside, you can lease these two vehicles for nearly the same amounts thanks to attractive i3 lease deals and non-very-attractive Bolt EV deals (but the car just launched)...It's the only real competitor each car has right now...

Expect the Mustang hybrid to be performance oriented in the way the new Acura RLX/NSX use it...

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Among the new vehicles the Flat Rock plant will make is a fully electric SUV that will go 300 miles on a charge. That is due to go on sale in 2020
So if GM doesn't hurry with my electrified Subyukonade, I may have to go to the dark side and drive a vehicle that is 4 letters long that starts with an F.

- a 2.6 decade GM card carrier

·
Registered
654 Posts
The article also mentioned a hybrid F-150. A good candidate now with the 150's aluminum construction. GM has an ideal scalable platform in place. I hope they continue to move forward with it, before the competition does. To make any real impact on fuel use in America you have to address the trucks. There are millions more trucks in this country than would ever be required to haul all the stuff that gets hauled. Most of them are driving around empty as gas-guzzling commuters. I see it every day. Giant jacked-up Dodge and Ford diesels with one guy in them and nothing in the box (except maybe an auxiliary fuel tank!)

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
The article also mentioned a hybrid F-150. A good candidate now with the 150's aluminum construction. GM has an ideal scalable platform in place. I hope they continue to move forward with it, before the competition does. To make any real impact on fuel use in America you have to address the trucks. There are millions more trucks in this country than would ever be required to haul all the stuff that gets hauled. Most of them are driving around empty as gas-guzzling commuters. I see it every day. Giant jacked-up Dodge and Ford diesels with one guy in them and nothing in the box (except maybe an auxiliary fuel tank!)
But as soon as gas prices climb to insane levels, most of these truck drivers park their trucks and find a cheap beater car with decent gas mileage to get to and from work. My neighbor did that when gas got to near $4 per gallon, but after the dip, the beater was sold and he has a new Chevy Silverado which replaced his Avalanche.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
A electrified SUV is a fools game in every aspect except for consumer demand. A BEV SUV is way to heavy for off-road use, the aerodynamics are that of a brick and would require almost twice the battery per mile, and the extra battery weight negates almost the cargo carrying capacity -- and yet it would sell very well because it wasn't a minivan or wagon.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
A electrified SUV is a fools game in every aspect except for consumer demand. A BEV SUV is way to heavy for off-road use, the aerodynamics are that of a brick and would require almost twice the battery per mile, and the extra battery weight negates almost the cargo carrying capacity -- and yet it would sell very well because it wasn't a minivan or wagon.
As long as it gets me to work and back (hay barn and back, home improvement store and back) without any fuel, i don't care how inefficient or heavy it is. And on the rare occasions where we need to tow a camper or go on a vacation trip, the ability to use an ICE would be awesome. Heck, even 20 miles of EV range would be huge. Anything is better than the 9-14 MPG I'm currently getting on my Suburban 454 cu in beast.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
As long as it gets me to work and back (hay barn and back, home improvement store and back) without any fuel, i don't care how inefficient or heavy it is. And on the rare occasions where we need to tow a camper or go on a vacation trip, the ability to use an ICE would be awesome. Heck, even 20 miles of EV range would be huge. Anything is better than the 9-14 MPG I'm currently getting on my Suburban 454 cu in beast.
A Diesel-based VOLTEC pickup woud do that job much better. The smaller battery would have a minimal effect of hauling capacity, could still haul the hay you retrieve from the hay barn on battery power, run your power tools through an inverter, and provide long-range hauling.

I do a a lot of puttering around the ranch doing whatever with the Dodge 3500 Diesel.... 10 MPH is a good tank with all that slow driving and idling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I always thought the hybrid full size trucks models were kind of a joke anyway. I mean, a hybrid Escalade or full sized truck that already cost upwards of $60K to $80K cost even more money with the hybrid drive train to get what? An extra two miles per gallon give or take? I'll also be brutally honest in that I'm not a fan of hybridizing these types of vehicles because it continues to give people the justification to drive around in completely pointless and impractical vehicles. No I know that is going to cause the "well I need to tow my house across the country ten times a year and haul my ten kids and furniture with me all the time too" crowd will invariably manifest itself at a comment like that, but let's be honest - the vast majority of these vehicle drivers do nothing more with them than commute. You do not need a full sized quad cab four wheeled drive truck to commute to work in and if those people can then justify its use even more by saying "well, it IS a hybrid you know", I'm not for it. I'd rather continue to see high fuel prices and, quite frankly, these types of vehicles taxed even more to try and weed them out of traffic. For people who legitimately need them for work - fine. But for the "I want to drive the biggest baddest thing on four wheels" crowd? No. Personal opinion mind you ;)

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
A Diesel-based VOLTEC pickup woud do that job much better. The smaller battery would have a minimal effect of hauling capacity, could still haul the hay you retrieve from the hay barn on battery power, run your power tools through an inverter, and provide long-range hauling.

I do a a lot of puttering around the ranch doing whatever with the Dodge 3500 Diesel.... 10 MPH is a good tank with all that slow driving and idling.
Some other forum user pointed me to the new RAM pickup with a diesel, not a Cummins, but some new diesel from europe that gets 29 mpg. It may just come to that if GM doesn't build me that Voltec Subyukonade I want.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You do not need a full sized quad cab four wheeled drive truck to commute to work in and if those people can then justify its use even more by saying "well, it IS a hybrid you know", I'm not for it. I'd rather continue to see high fuel prices and, quite frankly, these types of vehicles taxed even more to try and weed them out of traffic. For people who legitimately need them for work - fine. But for the "I want to drive the biggest baddest thing on four wheels" crowd? No.
Couldn't of said it better myself.
Cheers to you @tattooguman!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Some other forum user pointed me to the new RAM pickup with a diesel, not a Cummins, but some new diesel from europe that gets 29 mpg. It may just come to that if GM doesn't build me that Voltec Subyukonade I want.
The Ram 1500 Ecodiesel is a 3.0L diesel motor, I want to say by VM. It costs almost as much as a 2500 with the Cummins motor though. Unlike the 2500, the 1500s are having all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The Ram 1500 Ecodiesel is a 3.0L diesel motor, I want to say by VM. It costs almost as much as a 2500 with the Cummins motor though. Unlike the 2500, the 1500s are having all kinds of problems.
I've heard the same thing about poor reliability with the new Ram Eco Diesel. Too bad. I was optimistic about it as possible replacement for my truck some day. I also heard that the 29 mpg is more wishful thinking than reality.

I've currently got a 2006 Ram 3500, 4x4, crew cab, long bed, with the 5.9L Cummins to haul cattle and other assorted ranch junk. Unloaded, on the highway, if I keep it under 2K RPM it will get 18.5 MPG at 75 MPH all day long. I can get 20 MPG if I stay around 55 MPH.

Hybrid trucks may only add 2MPH, but that's 10% improvement... so that's something.

What I want is something like the Volvo T8 XC90. Ground clearance, 14 Miles of EV range and the ability to use fuel for long drives across Texas. I could go all day on EV power puttering around the ranch and just use fuel when I need to haul stuff. But I need 12K towing minimum and an open bed to toss awkwardly shaped stuff. The first company to build a off-road, diesel-electric, locomotive with greater than 10 miles of EV range would be my next truck purchase.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
I've heard the same thing about poor reliability with the new Ram Eco Diesel. Too bad. I was optimistic about it as possible replacement for my truck some day. I also heard that the 29 mpg is more wishful thinking than reality.

I've currently got a 2006 Ram 3500, 4x4, crew cab, long bed, with the 5.9L Cummins to haul cattle and other assorted ranch junk. Unloaded, on the highway, if I keep it under 2K RPM it will get 18.5 MPG at 75 MPH all day long. I can get 20 MPG if I stay around 55 MPH.

Hybrid trucks may only add 2MPH, but that's 10% improvement... so that's something.

What I want is something like the Volvo T8 XC90. Ground clearance, 14 Miles of EV range and the ability to use fuel for long drives across Texas. I could go all day on EV power puttering around the ranch and just use fuel when I need to haul stuff. But I need 12K towing minimum and an open bed to toss awkwardly shaped stuff. The first company to build a off-road, diesel-electric, locomotive with greater than 10 miles of EV range would be my next truck purchase.
Same here, except I'd prefer a Subyukonade with seating for 7-8 and the option to fold down/remove the seats to load stuff into the back. Anything oddly shaped would go onto my 16 foot utility trailer anyway. The Volvo is interesting but at nearly $70k, I might as well get a tesla and keep by 3/4 ton Suburban for those few times a year I need to haul something

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
But as soon as gas prices climb to insane levels, most of these truck drivers park their trucks and find a cheap beater car with decent gas mileage to get to and from work. My neighbor did that when gas got to near $4 per gallon, but after the dip, the beater was sold and he has a new Chevy Silverado which replaced his Avalanche.
If I could have only one vehicle, it'd be a truck.

Since my Son and Daughter both have pickups, I can drive an ELR. For a while there, I had both a truck and ELR until I sold the truck to my Son. There is no way a Volt or ELR (or any sedan) can be my only vehicle. Full capability is not there.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
If I could have only one vehicle, it'd be a truck.

Since my Son and Daughter both have pickups, I can drive an ELR. For a while there, I had both a truck and ELR until I sold the truck to my Son. There is no way a Volt or ELR (or any sedan) can be my only vehicle. Full capability is not there.
Thus the reason I have the volt (for daily commute fuel economy), the CTS (for trips to the airport with people/luggage and decent mileage), and the Suburban (for hauling and cargo).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts