·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
But the marketing coup...

GM, wake up and smell the roses. Get your collective nose out of the diesel and gas fumes and put your Voltec drivetrain in as many vehicles as you can.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
This is great. The more choices the better. These will probably not have the kind of range that would excite the people here, but they are the vehicle type people want: SUV. And improving the efficiency of large SUVs can have a bigger impact on fuel saved than improving small cars. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
This is great. The more choices the better. These will probably not have the kind of range that would excite the people here, but they are the vehicle type people want: SUV. And improving the efficiency of large SUVs can have a bigger impact on fuel saved than improving small cars. Keep 'em coming.
An affordable SUV with AWD, with 25 miles of all electric range or better would be an instant winner with a Voltec Design. Small cars already get good MPG.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts

GM, wake up and smell the roses. Get your collective nose out of the diesel and gas fumes and put your Voltec drivetrain in as many vehicles as you can.
I've been shouting that for years, yet GM isn't listening. Otherwise they would have announced something by as a defensive move. I want a Voltec Subyukonade, but I'll live with a Voltec/Boltec Equinox. I'm still feeding my original GM card....just in case.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
In 5+ years of owing three Volt and operating them collectively over 94% off the grid, I have proved (at least for my family/situation) that a vehicle with about 40 miles of electric range is all I would need in an SUV. I had to buy 2 vehicles costing me over $80K to get what my family needs. One SUV with 40 miles of EV range would satisfy my families need.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
This is old news. Ford announced the development of new "Energi" models months ago. Search this forum for past posts, which includes a spy photo of the Escape Energi.

Ford developed the first U.S. production hybrid (a small CUV) in 2005 way before the Chevy Volt was a concept. Yet they stopped the Escape Hybrid in 2012 and as its replacement offered the C-Max Hybrid and later the C-Max Energi.

We who have seen (and driven) the Escape know that Ford should had kept the Escape Hybrid. The Explorer Hybrid could had been its second "hybrid".

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

Hmm diesel Voltec would be interesting

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
This is old news. Ford announced the development of new "Energi" models months ago. Search this forum for past posts, which includes a spy photo of the Escape Energi.

Ford developed the first U.S. production hybrid (a small CUV) in 2005 way before the Chevy Volt was a concept. Yet they stopped the Escape Hybrid in 2012 and as its replacement offered the C-Max Hybrid and later the C-Max Energi.

We who have seen (and driven) the Escape know that Ford should had kept the Escape Hybrid. The Explorer Hybrid could had been its second "hybrid".
For the MY 2004 Chevrolet released it's first hybrid that I know of, the Silverado Hybrid. It failed. As did the second attempt, and it doesn't look good for the Three Strikes law.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
For the MY 2004 Chevrolet released it's first hybrid that I know of, the Silverado Hybrid. It failed. As did the second attempt, and it doesn't look good for the Three Strikes law.
It also used a hybrid technology that would only work in the larger transmissions found in the Silverado and other large GMC trucks. That hybrid system was actually housed in the transmission cowl which unfortunately made it somewhat brittle due to the small size. Needless to say that experiment was a bust. The Voltec drive train, on the other hand, is external to the normal transmission with the batteries driving larger motors that can live outside the transmission. While each vehicle would need a specific Voltec design based on engine and transmission size, this is a much more scalable design solution and maps more directly to the changes in engine design already done based on engine and vehicle size.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I agree it needs a next gen Volt like range.
The present C-Max and Fusion Energi models use a in-house developed electric transaxle (HF35) that is similar yet simpler than the Chevy Volt's 4ET50 and 5ET50 (watch the Weber YouTube videos for a detailed breakdown and explanation of how each one works). So if Ford redesigned the bodies to hold a larger battery and upgrades the main traction motor, it can compete with the GM offerings because the Fusion is a medium sized sedan, not a compact as the Volt. I have done two test drives of the Fusion Hybrid and one of the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, so I know how "big" and comfortable they are inside(I sat in all five seats). A Hybrid Ford Edge and Explorer will be big sellers.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
http://www.autonews.com/article/20170828/OEM04/170829799/ford-evs

My best bet is it'll be similar to the C-Max/Fusion Energi plugins. I'd hope they'd increase the range of the plug-in Escape, but bet on a 20-something range and limited EV performance vs ICE.
Well, while they are planning this, Ford says it will temporarily idle production at five North American assembly plants, three in the U.S. and two in Mexico, to reduce inventories of slow-selling models.

Ford is scheduling 1-3 weeks of downtime at the factories which mostly build Ford passenger cars, including the Fiesta and Fusion, whose sales have been hurt by the shift in consumer demand to larger crossovers and SUVs.

The factories involved employ more than 15K workers, and it is not yet known how many will face temporary layoffs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts