GM Volt Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Those door handles, or lack thereof, would be useless around here. Due to rapid daytime thaw freeze temperatures here in the mid-Atlantic I can see the doors getting iced up and no hand hold for leverage to get them open.

·
Super Moderator
6,225 Posts
Those door handles, or lack thereof, would be useless around here. Due to rapid daytime thaw freeze temperatures here in the mid-Atlantic I can see the doors getting iced up and no hand hold for leverage to get them open.
Certainly considering they have snow and freezing rain in MI that they have considered all that. There is something mechanical to push both the front and rear door open just like on the Model X. There is a handle in the front.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I'm wondering about the 12V battery going dead in the Mach-E. How do you open any of the doors manually? How does Tesla do it?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I like the Mach e. I would buy one. I don't like the grill. That's an easy thing to change and it could very well look different. I think about 90 percent of the initial perception of the car comes from the Mustang name. If it was called the Focus Mach e, it would be a totally different story (or any other name). Ford claims to be able to make a profit on every car right from the start. Nobody has managed that yet, have they? Is anybody making a profit on electric cars?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I like the Mach e. I would buy one. I don't like the grill. That's an easy thing to change and it could very well look different. I think about 90 percent of the initial perception of the car comes from the Mustang name. If it was called the Focus Mach e, it would be a totally different story (or any other name). Ford claims to be able to make a profit on every car right from the start. Nobody has managed that yet, have they? Is anybody making a profit on electric cars?
Tesla has made a profit on electric cars (that's all they sell). Fluctuates with the continual expansion costs that quarter vs cars sold that quarter so difficult to pin down as that isn't going to change in foreseeable future. Other companies it's all tied into other product line (only their accountants know for sure). At this point in time there is much money going into research. Do you count this or do you just count the amount the car is sold for vs. the amount of money it costs to build it exempting the cost to build/update the factory and the costs of developing the car. Taking this all into account It will be a while before the costs level out (technology matures, factories mostly built out) and the number of cars sold. EV sales will rise as their costs come down (a self feeding circle) and the neighbours seeing their neighbours driving their EV year in, year out. Add to that the restrictions put on ICE vehicles (no new ICE vehicles can be sold in BC after 2040, that's only 20 years away).

·
Registered
600 Posts
Which means it's probably bad news.

I mean, I'd welcome it in the low $40ks. But the way the marketing feels, this is gonna be a $60k vehicle.
The base trim level (Select) is about $43.5K and has federal tax credits available. The price with tax credits will be within range of a well negotiated Bolt Premier.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I read somewhere Ford has 14,000 $500 deposits. Probably a good estimate of first year demand for the 'stang.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I saw the Mach E at the LA Auto show this past week. It looks better in person, reminiscent of the BMW X6 but better proportioned! The interior leaves A LOT to be desired! On this forum there have been many complaints about the interior of the Volts (cheap materials etc.), but it's in line with the futuristic look of EV mentality.
The Mach interior looks like a plain old sedan! I love the idea of the car and hope it's a raging success. I'd want one!
But if the startup company I'm involved with takes off, I'd opt for the Jag iPace. Test drove at the show...NICE! ONE weird thing, NO regen paddle, all involved with the brakes. The car feels VERY tight and smells great!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
The Mustang has been a lot of things in the fifty five years it has been built. It started as an economy car, then in the late sixties to early seventies it was a muscle car. Then later seventies to early eighties it was an economy car again. In the mid eighties it started to be a muscle car again but not to an extreme. From there they kept getting more powerful till now and they have a 760 hp factory built car.

So though Mustang has had a sorted past, in recent history they have been Muscle cars with at least 300 hp.

We need to wait and see what happens next, but putting this car in the knuckle dragging boy racer image may sell some cars to some people but not everybody.

However the bottom line is price and content with some consideration to availability.

·
Super Moderator
6,225 Posts
I thought this was a good interview and I enjoy hearing from engineer-type vs mostly PR-types.

Ford did the smart and complicated thing to make most systems/modules OTA updateable. This is not trivial due to the large number of suppliers and coordination (networks, API, etc) involved. There are articles related to this about many of the auto manufacturers vs Tesla's ground start approach on this.

Ford Mustang Mach-E - Meet the Team Behind the EV

61 - 73 of 73 Posts