GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
The type and condition of the tires are more important that choosing between FWD and AWD. RWD Tesla vehicles do fine in the snow; even better when equipped with winter tires. There is an advantage to AWD over FWD when attempting to climb snow and ice covered hills. If you are a flat lander winter driver this may not be a consideration.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts

·
1,308 Posts

·
1,308 Posts
Thanks for the article. I have questions regarding towing capacity, where is the +12V battery, when will it get autopilot and does it come in a fuzzy shade of mushroom blue?
I don’t think they have given out any towing numbers yet. I’m not sure about the 12V battery, but it’s a good bet that it’s under the front hood but covered normally so it is not visible. I think the autopilot will come as a downloadable software update after the car is first delivered. Dunno about the color.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
I don’t think they have given out any towing numbers yet. I’m not sure about the 12V battery, but it’s a good bet that it’s under the front hood but covered normally so it is not visible. I think the autopilot will come as a downloadable software update after the car is first delivered. Dunno about the color.
A couple of good videos on "Ford Mustang Mach-E Co Pilot 360 Assist 2.0"

1 of 2

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Mustange-e chief engineer will be on Autoline After Hours this Thursday, Nov 21 at 3PM EST. You can watch live at the Autoline website or delayed on YouTube.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This is a really strong EV for Ford, but it is in no way, shape, or form an SUV. It's essentially the same size as the Jaguar i-Pace, and that car isn't any taller than the Tesla Model 3. Give me a Ford Edge EV, Cadillac XT5 EV, Infiniti QX60 EV, or at least something that looks like an EV if you're going to call it an SUV!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
This is a really strong EV for Ford, but it is in no way, shape, or form an SUV. It's essentially the same size as the Jaguar i-Pace, and that car isn't any taller than the Tesla Model 3. Give me a Ford Edge EV, Cadillac XT5 EV, Infiniti QX60 EV, or at least something that looks like an EV if you're going to call it an SUV!
What does an SUV look like? A taller ground clearance station wagon? Ground clearance? Styles change. The first SUV was a Jeep. With my Tercel 4x4 wagon I was able to haul an iron bath tub (regular size), a wall oven (although we had to remove the top of the shipping crate to get it in) thanks to its flat cargo bay door. I couldn't do that with the Volt although I did haul home my 65" Samsung (perfect fit) because it wasn't very high, the cargo lip wasn't a problem. Current SUV's look less boxy the first ones. It's just an evolution of style (and maybe aerodynamics). This just may be the next iteration of the SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle). Is it sporty? Yes. Is it utilitarian? More so if the cargo deck entry is flat. Is it a vehicle? Yes. Ticks all the boxes.

·
Registered
600 Posts
What does an SUV look like? A taller ground clearance station wagon? Ground clearance? Styles change. The first SUV was a Jeep. With my Tercel 4x4 wagon I was able to haul an iron bath tub (regular size), a wall oven (although we had to remove the top of the shipping crate to get it in) thanks to its flat cargo bay door. I couldn't do that with the Volt although I did haul home my 65" Samsung (perfect fit) because it wasn't very high, the cargo lip wasn't a problem. Current SUV's look less boxy the first ones. It's just an evolution of style (and maybe aerodynamics). This just may be the next iteration of the SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle). Is it sporty? Yes. Is it utilitarian? More so if the cargo deck entry is flat. Is it a vehicle? Yes. Ticks all the boxes.
When the term SUV was coined it was a light truck based wagon. It had four wheel drive, could haul more than the traditional cars of the time and could tow more too.

Then they came out with cars that were something like an SUV but with less truck characteristics. They called them CUV.

Now the journalists and even the auto makers call just about any car they want an SUV. SUV doesn't describe much of anything now.

The Mach-e has no tow rating yet it is called an SUV rather than a CUV and it cant even tow, has no third row seat and doesn't particularly have any higher ride height or ground clearance.

No one who is really looking for the traditional characteristics of an SUV would buy the Mach-e.

The Model X is much closer to those characteristics. It has three rows of seats, has a high ride height and can tow, The Model Y will have optional third row seats and I'll bet it will tow. [Q: Model Y tow? A: Yes, important for EU market: https://insideevs.com/news/343436/tesla-says-model-3-model-y-will-both-be-equipped-to-tow/]

Is it ok to call a roadster a pickup if I remove the trunk lid? Is it OK to call a four door a coupe because it is has a sporty look. Is it OK to call a van a wagon?

I actually like the Mach-e as an EV enthusiast, but the definition of SUV has been reduced to nothing.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
I thought this video was great. They should have pushed it the same night of the reveal IMO.
(Some familiar themes talked about and catch-phrased in the video. Several nods to another brand).

Making the Mustang Mach-E | Mustang Mach-E | Ford
Nov 21, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOu_gOI9u88

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The Mustang styling has been going down hill since its zenith in 69/70. Not sure this is a reset. Looks to me like it has an orange slice in its mouth or is it just throwing up a frog. They have to work on that.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The Mustang styling has been going down hill since its zenith in 69/70. Not sure this is a reset. Looks to me like it has an orange slice in its mouth or is it just throwing up a frog. They have to work on that.
Harkens back to Mr. Dave's "Can the nose be saved" thread.
Plastidip whatever that thing is called (diffuser?) black so it looks like the GT. I like that look much better than body color.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Harkens back to Mr. Dave's "Can the nose be saved" thread.
Plastidip whatever that thing is called (diffuser?) black so it looks like the GT. I like that look much better than body color.
That'll be the next best thing they can do to try to make it disappear.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
And yet my Pontiac Montana AWD was considered a minivan, despite the fact that it could, and I did tow, more than most of the small SUVs on the market as well as comfortably seat six adults.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts