GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
The leaked photos are intentionally vague. I can't tell if the new Mustang Mach E is a 4 door (5 including hatch) or a 2 door (3 including hatch).

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
The leaked photos are intentionally vague. I can't tell if the new Mustang Mach E is a 4 door (5 including hatch) or a 2 door (3 including hatch).
They are matching the Tesla Model Y in multiple multiple ways. See purple lines/arrows for where the 4 doors and hatch are.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm interested in looking at the Mach E. I like the Tesla Model 3 a lot too. And I actually like not having a driver's side "screen" better - I sat in Model S, X, and a 3. Like the cleaner look.

I would have been surprised if the Mach E didn't have rear doors.

·
Administrator
19,987 Posts
I didn't think Porsche had trouble selling cars. There are lots of ICE cars out there with no grills, my TR7 being one of them. Volkswagon alone sold over 5 million of them.
The joke was, a smooth nose is obviously not a deterrent to car sales.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
They are matching the Tesla Model Y in multiple multiple ways. See purple lines/arrows for where the 4 doors and hatch are.

<snip pictures -- they are in my original post>
Why are there no rear door handles? Suicide doors?

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It looks to me like the back seat will be just as tight as the Volt.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
It looks to me like the back seat will be just as tight as the Volt.
If you mean head height then I would disagree based on the green boxed areas. Look at the protruded black area on the Mach-E. If you look at the maroon/red painted area it has a similar angle as the Volt but they definitely extended it up in that black area.

Mach-E rear

Volt Gen2 rear

Tesla Model Y inside below. It will be curious how the headroom looks in the Y. Obviously 3rd row for kids but 2nd row may have good headroom.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you mean head height then I would disagree based on the green boxed areas.
No, actually I was thinking of leg room, and ingress/egress. I got into the back seat of my 2015 once. Won't be trying that again. :(

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
As a former Ford guy, things are beginning to look encouraging. Despite the strange badging, I am interested.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Article I saw this morning:
Here Are Pictures Of The 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E's Unusual Door Handle And Frunk [Updated]
https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-still-looks-good-in-this-n-1839907669

That's just the grab handle. You have to push that circle button above the lever to open the door. The image is a little blurry.

I prefer RWD so I am interested in this car. It's coming down to the M3, Mach-e or Bolt for my first full BEV. GM hasn't released anything new.

·
Registered
485 Posts
After lots of thought, I think this is how this car came about and was named.

1) Ford decided they wanted to make a pure BEV some years ago.
2) Ford decided it should be a "crossover" because they are selling like crazy and overall Ford strategy leans that way.
3) Ford designs the car, does aero testing, and ends up with a really swoopy, aggressive looking thing.
4) Ford tries to put the Blue Oval on the front in a number of ways. They try just the word FORD in different fonts. They light up the oval, but it just doesn't look right. It looks old-fashioned on a very new looking vehicle.
5) Ford calls massive meeting to decide how to deal with this problem. They look around and say, what other names/logos do we have that have some level of recognition and would look at home on a new-age, aggressive looking vehicle. Lincoln doesn't work. That's really the only other marque under the Ford umbrella, and someone says lets put a glowy pony on the front. SVT doesn't really exist anymore, ST is more a trim than a brand,
6) Lots of debate, but Ford eventually realizes this is the only way to un-frump this vehicle without taking a huge risk on creating a 100% new brand.

I somewhat understand the complaints from enthusiasts, but I don't know if there was another feasible way out of this other than creating a totally new brand. I think a Ford EV with a blue oval on the front would have encountered more of the same brand perception issues that plagued Bolt and Volt.

The solution is that after hitting step 6, they should've gone back to step 2 and decided to call it a performance fastback or a 4-door coupe. There might be a bit less revolt then and the product would be the same.

I really like the look of it. and I kept thinking, if there was a Ford oval on the front of an EV without a grill, it would just look misplaced.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts

·
Administrator
19,987 Posts
A video walk around

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
I'm really looking fordward to see how this sells. I think it is going to do very well. The more I read about it and see it the more it grows on me. Various articles on behind the scenes indicate this was originally going to be a compliance vehicle. That was scraped and they took it to another level.

This article has some of the best and most pictures that I've seen. Check it out!

VERGE: "Ford is chasing Tesla with an electric Mustang SUV"
"UP CLOSE WITH FORD’S ELECTRIC MUSTANG SUV, THE MACH-E
Let the arguments begin"
By Sean O'[email protected] Updated Nov 18, 2019, 7:42am EST

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/20970193/ford-electric-mustang-mach-e-first-look-photos-video-la-auto-show-2019

Example -- how they open the rear doors:

I wish GM would/will come out with a comparable looks, performance, charging speed, etc car. Ford has an advantage with the $7,500 tax credit still in play over others in this small SUV/CUV field. Certainly on Ford's 99 kWh (<100 for PR?) battery, they are not 'that' profitable.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
How do RWD EVs handle on snow and ice? AWD runs the tab up and the range hit is significant. Model 3 I see is 53% of weight on rear, which is a bit less biased than the bolt but then there is the push vs. pull argument.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts