GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://insideevs.com/reviews/376978/ford-mustang-inspired-bev-battery-drive-options/

It seems that there's not much we don't know about the upcoming Ford electric SUV.
In late 2020, Ford intends to introduce its long-awaited, next-generation all-electric model, which will be the Mustang-inspired performance SUV.

According to what we know so far, which comes to us mainly via an Electrify America press release, there will be at least a few variants of the electric SUV.

>Range
The targeted EPA range is 300 miles (483 km), when equipped with an extended battery and rear-wheel drive. The European Ford press releases say up to 600 km (370 miles, says Ford) of range under the WLTP test cycle.

The most important conclusion is that there will be not only the extended battery but also simply a standard battery option, with less capacity, less range and priced more affordably.

>Drivetrain
In the case of drive, it was obvious from the start that the "performance" BEV requires use of a dual-motor all-wheel-drive system (with one electric motor per axle).

The latest official message confirms that there will be a rear-wheel-drive version too.

The charging power also was confirmed at 150 kW in the case of the extended battery version (the smaller pack probably will be rated at lower power).

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm not saying I don't like the car, but that car is not an SUV! Looks like late fall of 2020 if you want one. Ford still has tax incentives coming so maybe they can beat Tesla pricing unless they mark up by the incentive amount. I like the appearance better than the dune buggy nosed and no dash gauges Model 3.

I am wondering what kind of run rate they plan to have in manufacturing. Availability seems to be an issue with some EVs that have hit the market.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
that car is not an SUV!
Maybe those are 24" wheels... :)

Not sure I'd call it an SUV, but there does not seem to be a standard definition of SUV either.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's getting harder to define exactly what an SUV is. They used to be high riding truck-like things with a spare tire on the back, and some kind of rack on top. Then they started making them more car like. Less manly and more Mommy. Some were called crossovers or CUV's. But that Ford looks a lot like the Model Y, which Tesla calls an SUV, so who knows?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Pricing info has not been released.

Also -- that picture is an artist's rendering of what a Mustang-inspired SUV could look like. Ford has not released any photos yet. a reveal is scheduled for 11/17.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Not sure I'd call it an SUV, but there does not seem to be a standard definition of SUV either.
It has gotten to the point that SUV does not mean anything. It was OK when they called these car like alternatives CUV but to many journalists don't bother to differentiate with their terminology. I think maybe this started with Elon by calling their enlarged sedans an SUV.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Title: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E electric crossover pics, specs leak before LA auto show debut
Aaron Cole AARON COLE NOVEMBER 15, 2019
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1126032_2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-electric-crossover-pics-specs-leak-before-la-auto-show-debut

The site also lists the cost of the Mach-E First Edition at $59,900, Mach-E Select at $43,895, Premium at $50,600, California Route 1 at $52,400, and GT at $60,500. Those prices don't include a federal tax credit of up to $7,500 nor any applicable state or local incentives for EVs.
All models have 29 cubic feet of cargo room, which extends to 59.6 cubic feet, and a 4.8 cubic foot front trunk. LED headlights and taillights are standard on all versions, and a 15.5-inch tablet-style touchscreen for infotainment with a 10.2-inch digital instrument cluster is included.
MachEForum: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/discovered-2021-mustang-mach-e-official-page-models-specs-video-etc.49/

4.) The range estimates have fine print that states the range is quoted with an optional extended battery. That means those starting at prices are going to jump even higher.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Looks like they copied interior clues from the Tesla S center vertical screen (vs 3's horizontal), Tesla 3 dash, and added a Driver Console (one of the original complaints about the Tesla 3).

Tesla Model 3 below:

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Great news, happy to see this car offered as another EV option. The more the better. Looking forward to the first test drive reviews.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Great news, happy to see this car offered as another EV option. The more the better. Looking forward to the first test drive reviews.
Completely agree. I think Ford will do very well with this car with the looks, performance, and functionality.

Yes that is in my post just a couple above along with the original source on the MachEForm https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?332733-Ford-Mustang-Inspired-Electric-SUV-Everything-We-Know-Range-AWD-RWD&p=4695761#post4695761

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I like the front grill. The Model 3 looks incomplete with that totally smooth front.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
300 mile range on the GT would have got me interested. As is, meh, I'll stay with the Bolt. Great car and it's paid for.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Tesla's major advantages over the Ford Mustang Mach E:
Proven Battery Technology with Tesla, and they plan to have the million mile battery pack on it.
Ultrafast Supercharging Network exclusive to Tesla.
Excellent Autonomous Drive that keeps getting better and better.
OTA Updates that results in better performance without having to bring the car to the shop.
Predictive component failures, schedule an appointment for impending failed components.

As for me the exclusive supercharging network is worth more than the Federal Tax credits, it just makes it convenient to drive a Tesla.

Looks like they modeled the MachE to match exactly the Model Y offering.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/15/tesla-model-y-vs-ford-mustang-mach-e-specs-comparison/

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
I like the front grill. The Model 3 looks incomplete with that totally smooth front.
A smooth front may be why Porsche has trouble selling cars... :)

I think we are simply so used to seeing a grill for a car's ICE that a car without one seems odd, but they just are not needed for an EV. Form follows function. I'm sure people felt it looked odd not seeing two horses pulling a carriage when the "horseless carriage" arrived.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I didn't think Porsche had trouble selling cars. There are lots of ICE cars out there with no grills, my TR7 being one of them. Volkswagon alone sold over 5 million of them. The problem I have with the Model 3 front end is it keeps reminding me of my friends '68 dune buggy, not that wasn't a lot of fun with it's toboggan front end designed for running over brush. Having a grill on an EV is a little disingenuous, there are other design solutions out there, many used in years past. It's just that today's designers have forgotten about them. It will take a while to shake out I think and to get today's consumer to accept that it doesn't have to have a grill.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts