GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Well taxes are generally applicable while EVs make up a fraction of Ford's sales. That I get. What I don't get is why Ford and other large companies are focusing on taxes, which aren't that significant, and haven't gotten more involved in health care, the costs of which are vastly more significant. Quite stupid actually. Then again these guys did reject health care after WW II, and the costs of that decision ended with GM and Chrysler in bankruptcy. Then again, the guys making the decisions were long gone. CEO's are not rewarded for long term results. It's all about the quarter.

No idea about Tesla. Might be it figures the tax credits will be phasing out before the tax bill takes effect.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
In a letter to House Ways and Means Chairman Kevin Brady, longtime Ford Motor Co. lobbyist Ziad Ojakli thanked the Texas Republican for his work to advance tax reform, especially slashing the corporate tax rate.

Brady’s package, he wrote Nov. 7, will "help make our nation more competitive by supporting American investment and jobs."
Sounds different when you read what was actually written.

Absent from the letter? Any mention of the $7,500 tax credit for purchasers of electric cars, something the tax legislation Brady is shepherding would eliminate.
".....something the tax legislation Brady is shepherding might eliminate."

Sounds different in true context. Even more so when the house bill is DOA in the senate as usual. Maybe by the end of next year the senate will roll out their usual loser bill - maybe this year. Whole lotta maybes here.

The upside of tax reform has made many of the biggest automakers reluctant to put their lobbying muscle fully behind a fight to preserve an incentive for a market that only represents 1 percent of sales.
Ya think?

Any special interest going on in here? "Yeah, I'm all about special interest Teddy Brosevelt!"

The rest of the article is too. :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts