GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Focus EV really that unpopular?

Excerpt: "Who will drive it?...Almost no one, sadly (as of August, Ford has sold only 135)."

I wonder what the current numbers look like.

·
8,680 Posts
AFAIK, none of those four is selling very well. Fortunately, my favorite EV is. :)

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Well, the Honda is not for sale (lease only... shades of EV1). For a few dollars more than the Focus you can get the Volt, The IMiev is cramped, and underpowered. And Coda? It's a Chinese knockoff of an old Toyota body.

I am eagerly looking forward to details on the Spark EV. It shares a lot of Volt power train, electronics, and also uses a battery thermal management system. 20 minute recharge using the new JIZZ plug that support DC charging (available for home charging? Cost?)

The only negatives I have read about so far is a potential "torque steering" refinement that is being worked on, and manufacturing in S. Korea (with US sourced drive, electronics, etc. above). The battery pack is replacing the gas tank, and the electronics, etc. replace the ICE engine under the hood.

·
8,680 Posts
Well, the Honda is not for sale (lease only... shades of EV1). For a few dollars more than the Focus you can get the Volt, The IMiev is cramped, and underpowered. And Coda? It's a Chinese knockoff of an old Toyota body.

I am eagerly looking forward to details on the Spark EV. It shares a lot of Volt power train, electronics, and also uses a battery thermal management system. 20 minute recharge using the new JIZZ plug that support DC charging (available for home charging? Cost?)

The only negatives I have read about so far is a potential "torque steering" refinement that is being worked on, and manufacturing in S. Korea (with US sourced drive, electronics, etc. above). The battery pack is replacing the gas tank, and the electronics, etc. replace the ICE engine under the hood.
I'm sure 400 ft-lbs of instant torque will be fun to play with - though the comment the other day about tuning it to hit peak around 60 mph, if true, seems to suggest it has rather shorter gearing than the Volt, so it may not have that much more torque to the road.

OTOH, it's an itty-bitty little car (not sure how much interior space it has, but doubt I'll fit comfortably.)

I'm not yet comfortable with BEV range limits, either - if the supercharger network gets sorted out, the long range Model S might work for me, but anything shorter would require more trip planning and inconvenience than I'm prepared to accept.

I'll be fascinated to see where this second generation technology goes in the EREV realm, though. It's still not to late for a Volt SS retractable hardtop, GM. ;)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Is the negative the "torque steering"? or the fact that it is made in Korea? What are you saying? ;)
Both. Torque steering is not a plus and I'd prefer the car be made in the USA rather than just the drive train/electronics.

"Torque steering is the influence of engine torque on the steering, especially in front-wheel drive vehicles. For example, during heavy acceleration the steering may pull to one side, which may be disturbing to the driver. The effect is manifested either as a tugging sensation in the steering wheel, or a veering of the vehicle from the intended path. Torque steer is directly related to differences in the forces in the contact patches of the left and right drive wheels. The effect becomes more evident when high torques are applied to the drive wheels either because of low transmission gearing, high engine torque, or some combination of the two. Torque steering is distinct from steering kickback."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steering

GM is essentially doing what Ford did with the Focus, dropping a different drive train in an existing car. The Spark's front suspension, etc. was not designed for a high torque engine, and there is only so much you can do to minimize the effect without building a whole suspension, which negates the cost savings of using an existing car. By the time the car is delivered to the showroom, I expect this to be minimized, and unless you decide to do drag racing, you'll likely not notice it.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
GM restricted the acceleration for the Volt, so I have to imagine they'll do something similar for the Spark EV. I've read that the curb weight is only 3,000 lbs, so 400 lb/ft torque in FF that is that light could be problematic. We'll see.

What I really want to see is the look on the crusty, old manager's face when he realizes what the name for the plug-in device means. I already hear the kids giggling. "Hold on, a sec. Dad's just got to grab the JIZZ. Hey! What's so funny?"

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Ford's got 440 Focus EVs in the cars.com inventory. And with MSRP at $40K, I just don't see them ramping up the sales too much until they can do something to cut the costs. Wasn't there reports of some big discounts lately?

Only about 102 or so C-Max Energi in the inventory as well. Need to boost that inventory to get some good year-ending sales #s.

3503 Volts in the same inventory so here's to Chevy for really stepping up on delivering "The EV that makes the most sense for the most people".

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
"Hold on, a sec. Dad's just got to grab the JIZZ. Hey! What's so funny?"
I can never remember the actual nomenclature (technically the SAE J1772). But I suppose the nickname could be JIZZ2 or even JIZZZ. :)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The only negatives I have read about so far is a potential "torque steering" refinement that is being worked on,
The test cars driven in the San Fran event were in a somewhat of an unrefined state.
There will be no discernable issue with torque steer when the Spark is released.
GM already uses a system where torque bias applied via the motorized power steering assist system (in near real-time) is utilized to mitigate torque steer.
WOT

PS> JIZZ Plug? TMI boys TMI...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Ford Focus EV numbers should be increasing due to this news:

New lease terms: $139/month for 36 months with $3183 down (or basically $227/month with 0 down)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Have yet to see an electric Ford. Leafs, Teslas, and Volts are the only players on the field. Any notions that the anti-EV press was political should be set aside...ask Tesla. It's media bought and paid for by petroleum interests. the others are not going to risk brand image in this environment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts