GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
This is what's needed to start the middle of the US moving towards EVs. Right now "flyover country" transportation is still ruled by King Oil.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The Volt has spoiled me! There are a variety of plug-in hybrids. I've learned to love the Volt's ability to operate throughout its entire performance regime without ever firing up its ICE. I've driven other plug-in that have to write-up the ICE whenever a bit of power is needed, and find them exceeding unpleasant to drive in comparison to the way the Volt operates. There is little information on how the plug-in powertrain works on these upcoming Ford trucks, but the more I read the more it seems they will be the not so fun to drive variety.

GM has the technology beginning way back with the two-time hybrid. These didn't seem to do much only because it was too expensive to install a battery large enough to make a difference. Times have changed, the two-mode has morphed into the Voltec powertrain and batteries has gotten a lot better and cheaper. Unfortunately GM doesn't seem to think there is a large enough market for this to make it worth it. Too bad, their tax credit will disappear soon leaving them easy for to other manufactures. GM appears to placing all their eggs in the BEV basket which is fine for low duty operations but doesn't work so well for working trucks.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is little information on how the plug-in powertrain works on these upcoming Ford trucks, but the more I read the more it seems they will be the not so fun to drive variety.
I'm curious as to what you have read, because I've seen virtually zero information on the drivetrain. The only thing I've seen is that spy shooters think it sounds like a 4cyl engine, which would likely be a turbo.

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong but I'm assuming the F150 hybrid will be based on the Ford Police Interceptor which has a small battery and a single small motor.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2019-Ford-Special-Service-Plug-In-Hybrid-Overview-c27487
That was my thought as well. Waiting to see an actual release of a decent PHEV pickup... Until then, I'll be keeping my diesel (sorry). I want to enjoy an electric drive pickup, but until a decent one comes out I am hanging onto my diesel one. My only saving grace is that my diesel only has 40k miles on it and is only 4 years old, so I got a lot of life left in it to wait for its replacement.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
347 Posts
The police interceptor is just a hybrid. The F150 will be a plug-in hybrid, and significantly larger.

From the CarGurus article.

" The 7.6 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery can be charged in 7 hours on the standard 120 volt charger, or just 2.5 hours with a 240 volt connection. "

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the CarGurus article.

" The 7.6 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery can be charged in 7 hours on the standard 120 volt charger, or just 2.5 hours with a 240 volt connection. "
ah, my bad. I thought you were referring to the new Hybrid Police Explorer, not the Fusion based sedan.
My comment stands about it being much larger though. I don't think they would only put a 7.6kWh battery in a full size truck. That wouldn't get you much EV driving.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
A 7.6 kWh battery is going to limit EV power and regen sharply unless they have a magic battery. They could go very high discharge and charge rates, but that could run into life expectancy issues.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
The lithium battery does not need to provide all of the propulsion, maybe just enough to get overall fuel economy to ~30 MPG range. I recall Ford stating that their plug-in F150 would be able to provide 120V at the job site for power tools.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
7.6 kWh battery? How about a 76 kWh battery!!!! The truck can handle it.

As a longtime GM vehicle owner, after reading the title and seeing the spy photos, there was about 2 minutes of “maybe I’ll jump ship and switch from GM to Ford....but if the 7.6 kWh battery is true, i’m moving on. Next?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
For the puny AER this would have I'll pass. Gimme the V-6 diesel.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Agreed. If I can’t at least get 50 miles of EV range, then I want the Raptor, to heck with fuel economy and giving OPEC the middle finger. Though, the Silverado Redline or Rally2 also pique my interest.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
7.6 kWh battery? How about a 76 kWh battery!!!! The truck can handle it.

As a longtime GM vehicle owner, after reading the title and seeing the spy photos, there was about 2 minutes of “maybe I’ll jump ship and switch from GM to Ford....but if the 7.6 kWh battery is true, i’m moving on. Next?
Agreed. If I can’t at least get 50 miles of EV range, then I want the Raptor, to heck with fuel economy and giving OPEC the middle finger. Though, the Silverado Redline or Rally2 also pique my interest.
You're all assuming they're going to take the battery out of a fusion and put it in an F150. Do you think they would take the 4 cylinder engine out of a fusion and put it in an F150? No.
There is virtually no chance in my mind that the battery will be that small.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
You're all assuming they're going to take the battery out of a fusion and put it in an F150. Do you think they would take the 4 cylinder engine out of a fusion and put it in an F150? No.
There is virtually no chance in my mind that the battery will be that small.
I sure hope so. I'd like at least 50 miles of EV range before sipping the Dino juice. If GM doesn't hurry, they might lose me as a lifelong customer. Why they don't have a complete lineup of BEVs and PHEVs across the entire lineup is beyond me. They had a head start, and are about to lose that lead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts