GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ton of reviews out today on the F150 Lightning and all of them I've seen show that Ford has hit it out of the park.

[Tip: use YT gear icon in the lower right to change the playback speed to x1.5 or x1.75]

Order of details provided in the review of some that I've watched.

[update: added this one from Alex on Auto -- excellent on the comparison to the existing F150s]

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
"But, but, but,... It won't pull a 10,000 lb trailer for a thousand miles on a single charge." /s

Seriously, I've seen this argument on Facebook. What a crock.

Personally I hope Ford really does hit this out of the park, especially with small businesses that use pickups for transportation.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Imagine how much better it would have been if they had used a clean sheet design instead of dumping everything into the chassis of the existing F150?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This truck is specifically why I've been trying to limp my battery along in my Volt after I just got the low charge of death stop in the middle of the interstate. :) I got it going again so I'm hoping I can make it last.

·
Administrator
22,233 Posts
Happy there are good reviews, this will help change some perceptions. But I expect a backlash of "Fail, it can't do 100% of everything anyone could want" lol

Reactions: Owl

·
Super Moderator
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Imagine how much better it would have been if they had used a clean sheet design instead of dumping everything into the chassis of the existing F150?
They changed the rear suspension and it is getting great reviews. They have various towing features like the extra coolant towing package, on-board scales, ability to add a custom trailer in the interface to see the range change, etc.

_ The platform is in fact different from gas and hybrid F-150s. The frame is wider to fit the battery pack suspended between it, and thicker cross members made of high-strength steel both gird and shield the pack. The independent rear suspension with coil-over springs is new—a first but certainly not the last for an F-150.
_ “The whole bottom of the truck is new,” said Darren Palmer, Ford VP of electric vehicle programs. “The motors are positioned deep within the frame, and the steering and braking system was modified completely to fit within the space around the frunk.”
_ Palmer said the new frame was the strongest Ford ever made. Towing a 9,500-lb trailer loaded with casks of wine proved its strength, as well as the excellent capability of the motors. There was no denying the weight behind me, yet it never strained on uphills or felt like it was pushing on downhills.
I can't imagine what else they need as they were able to design it with that massive front-trunk and plenty of inside floor space. Users will find it very attractive as well as being able to use all the existing F150 accessories. Seems like a well-planned out decision. Plus 10 120v outlets, 1 240v outlet, USB A and C outlets everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kyle's / Out of Spec video (3rd one) showed it getting > 170 kW even at 50% SOC. 120+ kW up to 80% SOC.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
That was to keep the basic Pro version cheap. There is supposed to be a redesign in 2025, supposedly a clean sheet EV design like the Silverado. Give them a chance to equal or one up 'em.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 100k+ Miles
1,068 Posts
That was to keep the basic Pro version cheap. There is supposed to be a redesign in 2025, supposedly a clean sheet EV design like the Silverado. Give them a chance to equal or one up 'em.
It's a pretty clean design as far as I'm concerned. A truck is still a truck, and it needs to do functional truck things. What has changed is the powertrain. The space in front is now storage with a 400lb load capability, this area provides power outlets, and it's a "wet" capable area with drainage. A dry place to put normal stuff without it rolling around the bed is quite nice. Then there is the capability for it to provide emergency backup power to your house. This is a very functional feature for those of us in hurricane zones. From what I've seen so far, I prefer the F-150 design to the Cybertruck.

·
Administrator
22,233 Posts
A truck is still a truck, and it needs to do functional truck things. From what I've seen so far, I prefer the F-150 design to the Cybertruck.
In communities that normally use trucks for truck things, I think the traditional looking F-150 and Silverado (and whatever RAM releases) will be much better received than the Cybertruck. The Cybertruck seems aimed at an urban cowboy "look at me, look at me" showoff. More LA or Miami Beach than for farmers or tradespeople. My inlaw that farms would never be seen dead in a Cybertruck, but the Silverado or Ford is a different story.

·
Super Moderator
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Super Moderator
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[update: added this one from Alex on Auto
-- clearly knows the Ford products WELL
-- excellent on the comparison to the existing F150s - eg what thee same so existing accessories work. Bed, running board, cab, ...]

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you occasionally need long distance towing, just keep an old beater around for that duty. If you do that kind of thing all the time, then I guess you'll have to continue propping up Russia.

·
Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
37 Posts
I have reservations in on F150, Silverado, CT, and Atlis XT (not sure if that one counts lol). Cancelling my reservation on the Canoo pickup for a bunch of reasons, bankruptcy risk chief among them. Not going to put nonrefundable money down on anything until I can drive it myself first. Rivian is probably the best fit for my use cases, but I want to make sure they can production ramp to sustainable profits before it really would top my list. I'm not in any hurry to get the first one of anything, let em shake out the bugs for a couple of years is just fine by me. But I'm glad there is choice and competition coming soon in a major way.

I'm glad Ford made basically a standard truck with a better rear suspension and the power turned up to 11 to crack open the market segment for the conservative buyers. A more truck sized charge curve would have helped a half ton. ~170kW to 50-60% is what I would call adequate, but this is probably the very first thing they should work on improving.

I still can't get a straight answer out of anyone at Ford or Sunrun about whether their V2H through the CCS port setup follows industry standards, or if it is some proprietary one off. If the former, great, if the latter, that $4k + install costs for the companion box and tiny battery is a huge waste IMNSHO.

Why the heck didn't Ford do a plug in hybrid F150, Ranger, or even Maverick years ago?!? They had the tech, the trucks certainly have the room, etc. A proper OEM PHEV would probably get my money first, and I hold out hope for a Tacoma Prime, or a Ram 4xe goosed up to at least 50mi AER sometime soon. Everybody other than Stellantis skipping straight from mild hybrid to full BEV trucks without a PHEV step is just baffling to me.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you occasionally need long distance towing, just keep an old beater around for that duty. If you do that kind of thing all the time, then I guess you'll have to continue propping up Russia.
Hint. We have lots, and lots, and lots of oil and natural gas right here. It's propping up America, not "X". The contrast between supporting production at home and attacking it, should be crystal clear to anyone after the past few years.

...Why the heck didn't Ford do a plug in hybrid F150, Ranger, or even Maverick years ago?!? They had the tech, the trucks certainly have the room, etc. A proper OEM PHEV would probably get my money first, and I hold out hope for a Tacoma Prime, or a Ram 4xe goosed up to at least 50mi AER sometime soon. Everybody other than Stellantis skipping straight from mild hybrid to full BEV trucks without a PHEV step is just baffling to me.
Ford does have the F150 hybrid and a Hybrid Maverick. As far as why not sooner, it likely had to due with the larger battery and cost involved. Battery production costs have come down quite a lot over the years, although they are still very, very expensive. The thing I really like about Ford's approach, is they will offer a solution to fit everyone. If the Lightning doesn't work for someone's use case, they will offer other products that do.

Reactions: Cloudnine

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Out of Spec Reviews on the $40k Base Model

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think what Ford has done modifying the F150 for electric is great. My 2012 Volt is a not a 'clean sheet design' and I love it.

I cancelled my Mach-E reservation the day after the F150 Lightning was announced and reserved one of these instead since it could pull my boat and power my house. Fingers crossed that my 2012 Volt battery makes it until it arrives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's why Silverado EV is coming next year and redesign Lightning in 2025 on TE1 platform.

This is a modified F-150 platform where GM Silverado EV BT1 is a EV from ground up next year.

Wait for Ford 2025 redesign.

The Ford F-150 Lightning is already being promised a redesign for the 2025 model year. Reuters mentioned this when discussing Ford’s production plans for the Lightning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts