GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Motor Co. said the Johnson Controls-Saft joint venture will supply batteries for a 20-vehicle test fleet of plug-in Escape Hybrid SUVs that will arrive in California by the end of 2009.

The first vehicle of the test fleet arrived at a California utility company in December. Ford declined to name the battery supplier at that time.

rest of article found at http://www.autonews.com/article/20080610/ANA02/56545660/1186

·
3,689 Posts
Don't be fooled. These are mules and the world will find that out in a year or two. Come on Ford, let's get the old rivalry going with GM fired up again. Only this time not with SUVs and Trucks but in the electrification of the super efficient and sexy super car. It might as well be the turn of the 20th century all over again. Can you feel it?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Ford's already admitted that they are two years behind GM, so they may as well take the time to follow the old processes for design and development - that usually begins with a test fleet to see how the batteries and electrical propulsions systems actually perform in real world driving.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't be fooled. These are mules
Do you really believe that? Wouldn't Ford be marketing the heck out of these PHEV SUVs? I do not believe Ford has the balls for such progress. I have seen nothing at auto shows to suggest they are adhering to consumer demand. Nothing.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Do you really believe that? Wouldn't Ford be marketing the heck out of these PHEV SUVs? I do not believe Ford has the balls for such progress. I have seen nothing at auto shows to suggest they are adhering to consumer demand. Nothing.
Just a theory... It takes a long time to get the right analysis into the head of top management? Although they have it, they aren't betting that it is the market. Maybe dinosaurs still roaming the top, :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I do not believe Ford has the balls for such progress.
Ford believes if they save money wherever possible, they can ride this storm (or at least stretch out their death to be long and suffering). You see this everywhere. No big R&D on electrics. Their vehicles are stagnating in the now almost 15 year old "new edge" design, with only a few starting to enter "futuretro" and the Focus entering who knows what. Probably the only thing that was a "bold move" was hiring Mike Rowe to be their spokesperson.

Ford has two options. Jump onboard and pour money that they don't have into R&D of electrics and go bankrupt, or stagnate until they go bankrupt because they can't sell anything.

I'm really hoping Ford does come out with something, though. Then I can use A plan and save even more green.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Ford believes if they save money wherever possible, they can ride this storm (or at least stretch out their death to be long and suffering). You see this everywhere. No big R&D on electrics. Their vehicles are stagnating in the now almost 15 year old "new edge" design, with only a few starting to enter "futuretro" and the Focus entering who knows what. Probably the only thing that was a "bold move" was hiring Mike Rowe to be their spokesperson.

Ford has two options. Jump onboard and pour money that they don't have into R&D of electrics and go bankrupt, or stagnate until they go bankrupt because they can't sell anything.

I'm really hoping Ford does come out with something, though. Then I can use A plan and save even more green.
At this point, Ford's best move may be to purchase Tesla Motors, Fisker Automotive, Aptera and/or Smith Electric. Ford can only acquire their way out of their current position.

·
Registered
151 Posts
At this point, Ford's best move may be to purchase Tesla Motors, Fisker Automotive, Aptera and/or Smith Electric. Ford can only acquire their way out of their current position.
This is exactly my thinking. Pick up one of the little guys; do a joint venture; do whatever to get the technology even if it isn't proven. The start-ups need the giants for manufacturing and distribution and Ford has that. Ford needs the tech and the risk...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts