GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
20,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.slashgear.com/tags/fordFord has warned owners of the 2013 Ford Escape with the 1.6 liter engine to turn off the car and back away, after a fuel line flaw was identified that could cause a fire risk. Ford advising not even to risk driving the car to a service location.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...warns-some-escape-owners-to-stop-driving?lite

GOP Congressman Darrell Issa—who was so outraged over the Volt as a threat to American consumer safety that he held special congressional hearings about the Volt's non-existant fire hazard—has nothing to say about the ACTUAL fire risk the Ford poses, nor has he announced plans to hold special congressional hearings to investigate them.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
hmmmm Escape from your Ford Escape!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Ideas for congressional questions:

How long has Ford known about the flammability of gasoline?
How many tests has Ford done with fuel lines which could potentially leak and cause a fire?
How long has Ford been asked by oil and gasoline companies to keep this quiet because their customers tend to use such fuel sources?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Ideas for congressional questions:

How long has Ford known about the flammability of gasoline?
How many tests has Ford done with fuel lines which could potentially leak and cause a fire?
How long has Ford been asked by oil and gasoline companies to keep this quiet because their customers tend to use such fuel sources?
I hope for Ford's sake this is a quality or manufacturing issue and not a design issue. I also hope they know exactly what cars are affected and they contact the owners promptly.

As others have pointed out already society has turned a blind eye to many of the risks of fossil fuel powered vehicles and are always quick to judge change and new technologies.

·
Administrator
20,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is car crash safety testing done with a full tank of gas?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
While there were certainly other agendas, the congressional investigation on the Volt was more about NHSTA leaking pre-report data and having it misinterpreted by who they leaked it to. The big issue was the leak...and the competency of NHSTA.

·
Administrator
20,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While there were certainly other agendas, the congressional investigation on the Volt was more about NHSTA leaking pre-report data and having it misinterpreted by who they leaked it to. The big issue was the leak...and the competency of NHSTA.
When I watched the hearings, I heard a lot of accusations/questions directed at NHSTA for supposedly covering up the data, that the White House was supposedly keeping it all secret, and how the safety of the American people was somehow put at risk as a result. None of these turned out to be true of course.

This did not appear to me to be a fact finder about who leaked the info before a complete analysis could be done. Instead it seemed more along the lines of trying to make NHTSA seem nefarious for not publishing the results before they had completed the analysis.

Like declaring a house was burned down by a Volt before the fire inspector and insurance teams could determine the actual cause, this would have been bad procedure I think.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bonaire, so so so right on the money. Of course no such out cry will be heard. The masses will not know nor care. After all this is to be expected.
The sheeple will cry, "we've seen this before and this we understand, gas burns and hoses leak. But we the sheeple fear new technologies and batteries are most fearsome because they utilize the mystifying phenomenum electricity! We the sheeple can smell and see gas leaking and we understand these things, gas and hoses. From these we can run but we know not how to know this electricity. We are fearful; we the sheeple.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The big issue was the leak...and the competency of NHSTA.
Darrell Issa is a complete A-Hole. A smart A-Hole but an A-Hole none the less. (First hand assessment). The only point he was trying to make is that there was a coverup run by the White House. He seemed to lose interest in his own circus when Akerson said the White House had never called him to talk about anything, much less about the Volt fires. Same routine with the ATF gun sales into Mexico. Same thing with Solyndra. Basically he's claimed to have found 23 of the last 0 Watergates.

·
8,680 Posts
Is car crash safety testing done with a full tank of gas?
Testing for federal standard compliance is done with the tanks filled with water - allows them to see if the tank leaks without risking the test article (and, indeed, the test rig) being damaged by fire. We test aircraft fuel cells that way, too (drop testing to simulate crashes. There's also leak testing with real fuel.)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I was trying to buy a Escape Hybrid early 2009, but no local Ford dealer was selling it, and they all tried the "bait and switch" trick on me, clearly intended to sell me the larger Explorer (which did sell well here in Puerto Rico) instead of ordering an Escape Hybrid for me.

So I went to my GM dealer and bought my 2009 Equinox, and I will never exchange it for a Ford, even for the Hybrid which has begun to sell here. The report about the new Escape mentioned the problem with the floor rugs. My Equinox has two plastic hooks that hold the rug in place. GM planned ahead!

Now I am waiting for the Volt to arrive, and later a Voltec SUV.

Raymond

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I just checked CNN On-Line via my iPad app and it's already fallen off the front page. I wonder how the other "lame stream" media outlets are handling this story?

·
Registered
867 Posts
When I watched the hearings, I heard a lot of accusations/questions directed at NHSTA for supposedly covering up the data, that the White House was supposedly keeping it all secret, and how the safety of the American people was somehow put at risk as a result. None of these turned out to be true of course.

This did not appear to me to be a fact finder about who leaked the info before a complete analysis could be done. Instead it seemed more along the lines of trying to make NHTSA seem nefarious for not publishing the results before they had completed the analysis.

Like declaring a house was burned down by a Volt before the fire inspector and insurance teams could determine the actual cause, this would have been bad procedure I think.
This was more about tearing down the government and the president. If you can make a government department look incompetent, you can move forward on eliminating the department or outsourcing to the private sector as well as make the president look incompetent.

I often heard people speak about how incompetent and inefficient the government is, but I have noticed that corporations have the same problems you just don't hear about it as often. I have seen even a small corporation waste money and do inefficient stupid things. It is just the nature of being a corporation.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
How about the 278,000 vehicle fires over the past few years? How about a congressional investigation asking a few questions like:

How long has the auto industry known about the flammability of gasoline?
How many tests has the auto industry done with fuel lines which could potentially leak and cause a fire?
How long has the auto industry been asked by oil and gasoline companies to keep this quiet because their customers tend to use such fuel sources?
How many Americans will die every year as a result of gasoline fires?
Did the White House know that gasoline is flammable?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I read the title of the thread and was expecting to see a picture of an Escape parked on a volcano or something! LoL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts