GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"For the third time this year, Ford is recalling vehicles with its 1.6-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engines, citing a fire hazard."

This most recent recall of cars with the troubled EcoBoost engine comes amid a backdrop of ongoing criticism of Ford, which received $5.9 billion in federal loans for developing more fuel-efficient engines and transmissions to meet stricter fuel economy standards. Ford has heavily promoted the EcoBoost family of engines, which come in different sizes and are made in different locations. The 1.6-liter version is made in Spain.

Ford still owes the federal government $4 billion which has caused an ongoing political controversy among politicians, cable news shows, and talk radio listeners opposed to the Ford bailout loans. Some have taken to calling the auto manufacturer "Fed Motor Company" in reference to all the taxpayer money they still owe. These engines should be called "EcoBUST", said Rush Limbaugh, "This is what happens when you have the federal government and eco-nazis designing Ford engines".

A U.S. House subcommittee will hold a hearing into reports of Ford's Focus and Escape vehicles catching fire, a spokesman for Representative Darrell Issa said. The regulatory affairs subcommittee, led by Representative Jim Jordan, an Ohio Republican, will schedule a hearing for late January, Jeffrey Solsby, a spokesman for the Oversight and Government Reform Committee led by Issa, said today in an e- mail.

At a hearing of a House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform subcommittee, members released a staff report that argued that the administration’s tax payer funded loans to Ford Motor Company created business and political reasons for the government to sacrifice public safety.

There have been at least 13 under-hood fires earlier this year in the Ford’s engine compartment. Ford has said it is working with NHTSA to find the cause and determine if a fix is needed. Investigators “found a pattern of engine overheating and fluid leaks that led to the fires.” There has been an ongoing investigation since early September.

The chairman of the regulatory affairs subcommittee, Jim Jordan of Ohio, was critical. "You waited months before you announce a recall, and you think that’s normal?” he asked.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told reporters the department didn’t withhold information about the Ford fires.

Mr. Deep, a Ford spokesman, said he could not immediately identify the errant fluid. It also is not clear how Ford plans to fix the vehicles. In its report to the safety administration, the automaker said it was “developing a fix to address the fire risk.”

In July, Ford recalled about 11,500 2013 Escape crossovers because a fuel line on the 1.6-liter EcoBoost could leak.
In that case, Ford took the unusual action of telling owners to stop driving the vehicles.

----------
Nah, just kidding. Real fires with real cars on the road (as opposed to extreme test conditions) won't be investigated by Issah and his gang. After all, they are cars from Ford that consume gasoline. Who cares if Ford still owes $4 billion to taxpayers? Only extreme testing of the Volt warrants fake outrage and concern for public safety by Issah and his ilk. Yup, It's almost the one year anniversary of the Congressional Kangaroo Court hearings on the Volt.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/ford-recalling-73000-escapes-and-15800-fusions/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/republicans-charge-delay-in-volt-fire-announcement.html

·
Registered
477 Posts
So, how come I can't find this on Fox Snooze in their 'Automotive Fires Will Destroy the Republic' section? I'm confused...

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Points well taken, Steverino.

Issa, Jordan, and Kelly irresponsibly abused their positions in Congress serving a malicious agenda. Limbaugh is a foul mouthed bigot.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Wow, nice job on the satirical piece. Can you imagine if there had been 13 real world Volt fires and a model recall? The Volt would be done. For Ford, it's not even a blip, what a double standard!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I was absent mindedly (not too critically) reading the OP and was thinking, huh, wow! I didn't realize congress routinely investigated car fire risks... then I glanced down at the subsequent posts and suddenly everything made a while lot more sense.

Politicians have scarred fragments of consciences, if that.
Disgusting. Excellent post. I almost want to print out out and mail it in to Issa et al.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts