GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford confirms new hybrid Explorer for police; is this how SUV buyers will embrace hybrids?

Police work may be ideal proving grounds to convince skeptical shoppers that hybrids can consistently perform when duty calls. Despite skepticism from some that electrification could add complexity and maintenance costs to large fleets, Ford confirmed Tuesday that its next-generation Police Interceptor Utility (based on the next-generation Explorer) will have a standard hybrid powertrain when it goes on sale next summer.
Full story at Green Car Reports.

Maybe someone should tip off Mary Barra, if she can be reached over there in Beijing.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
This is a great way to prove whether things work and how reliable/durable they are. Plus, being hybrid the motor won't have to always be running when you are parked/idling. Something police officers do a lot of. Numerous of my co-workers across the country have been killed or seriously injured by Carbon Monoxide seeping into the cabin which this could help prevent.

In addition, be able to silently (or almost silently) pull up to scenes is a big plus.

(BTW, a big LOL to the Mary Barra and China comment....)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plus, being hybrid the motor won't have to always be running when you are parked/idling. Something police officers do a lot of. Numerous of my co-workers across the country have been killed or seriously injured by Carbon Monoxide seeping into the cabin which this could help prevent.
There's something we don't hear about from the media. Good point!

(BTW, a big LOL to the Mary Barra and China comment....)
;)

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Plus, being hybrid the motor won't have to always be running when you are parked/idling. Something police officers do a lot of. Numerous of my co-workers across the country have been killed or seriously injured by Carbon Monoxide seeping into the cabin which this could help prevent.
That is the reason NYC bought a handful of Volts for traffic control vehicles. Running the emergency lights uses a fair bit of power, so they always have to have the car running.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet. This is why GM needs to get a Voltec system into an SUV. Considering you can sit in Air Conditioned comfort for hours without running the engine (only using about .5kw per hour), it would make a great police vehicle. The gas and engine wear/tear saved by being able to use the battery to accelerate for city driving would be huge. If Ford can make all the auxiliary systems, include A/C, run off the battery and make the battery big enough to run the systems for a few hours, this system will be a big improvement over current systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts