GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone else has seen this but you can get an additional 240 Wh without doing anything special. I have an open EVSE. I put a wifi module in it and made an app. With the app I can enable and disable the charger. Each time you disable/enable (sometimes it requires two cycles) the charger, the Volt will accept a little more power. The more times you do it the less charge it takes until the light turns yellow, which indicates it won't accept a charge anymore.

240 Wh isn't much but it's too bad this couldn't be done for the full amount of the buffer GM put there.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
That buffer is there to prevent the LiOn batteries from developing top end memory, which degrades the batteries.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That buffer is there to prevent the LiOn batteries from developing top end memory, which degrades the batteries.
Memory isn't an issue in Lithium batteries. Some of the buffer is there to allow regen at start. The rest is there because Lithium batteries don't react well to being charged to 100%.

In any case, 240wh won't make a difference. It's like the burping procedure that works on the Gen1. Not sure if it works for Gen2.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
This isn't about the buffer. This is about cell balancing. After the Volt finishes charging it will bleed off energy on some cells that are charged more than others. If you start charging again the battery will accept a bit more charge.

Also if you start the car with the car still plugged in the car will accept a little bit more charge as well.

·
Registered
926 Posts
So many times did you have to "burp" the battery using the app for that 240 Wh? If it's more than 3 times, I'd probably get tired real quickly doing this for an extra mile or two of range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts