GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a local Kia dealership that is selling a 5 month/7,400 mile old 2016 Volt LT. The Carfax records don't show any signs of defect or repairs. The asking price is just under $25K…not too much different from buying the car new with both state and federal tax credits. It has me wondering why someone would average 28K miles a year on a fuel efficient car and decide to turn the car in. Here are my guesses:

1) experience didn't meet their expectations.
2) wanted to upgrade to the Premier trim or wanted a different car color.
3) financial situation changed on them.

Has anyone here thought about selling their Volt? I'm curious to know why.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Since we bought our 2015 for about the same price is high bluebook after tax credits work figured, I have puzzled about the pricing of used Volts. Should a private buyer bargain with a private seller beginning with the assumption that the original purchaser got all available state and federal tax benefits and work up from there?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's likely a Ex-corporate car, When I worked for an OEM we would get rid of Cars when they reached a certain Mileage (12k km) to replace them with "fresher" ones, they could have been used for Press, Company car, Internal Lease Program, Service Training, Sales Training and other corporate uses.

The millage and location make me think this could be the case.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Might be a repo as well.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Since we bought our 2015 for about the same price is high bluebook after tax credits work figured, I have puzzled about the pricing of used Volts. Should a private buyer bargain with a private seller beginning with the assumption that the original purchaser got all available state and federal tax benefits and work up from there?
And what happens when the fed/state tax credits disappear? Do resale values of used EVs suddenly go up $7,500+?

·
Registered
602 Posts
And what happens when the fed/state tax credits disappear? Do resale values of used EVs suddenly go up $7,500+?
I suppose that might be so. Who would sell for $7.5K less than they paid for it? Only those who absolutely had to.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
650 Posts
Willing to sell mine..... $1 million cash and it's yours........

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
They may go up some, but I know if I'm looking at a pre-owned EV I will see what it "stickered for when new" for subtract ALL applicable credits/incentives and they subtract for age, mileage and condition as with any other pre-owned vehicle.

In my case when I bought my 2013 Volt in Illinois I received the full $7500 federal tax credit PLUS the $4000 state CASH REBATE. So w/o the dealer discount I received my 2013 Volt that stickers new for $43,500 was reduced to $32,500 right off the bat. So reversing this if I were out shopping for a pre-owned 2013 Volt in IL my going in price when new would be $32,500 and work back from there.

So once those credits are gone future pre-owned EV prices/values will have to increase. Now will older EV benefit? I'd guess not.

·
Registered
743 Posts
There are thousands of reasons why people sell cars. If you really want to know ask the dealer.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
There's a local Kia dealership that is selling a 5 month/7,400 mile old 2016 Volt LT. The Carfax records don't show any signs of defect or repairs. The asking price is just under $25K…not too much different from buying the car new with both state and federal tax credits. It has me wondering why someone would average 28K miles a year on a fuel efficient car and decide to turn the car in. Here are my guesses:

1) experience didn't meet their expectations.
2) wanted to upgrade to the Premier trim or wanted a different car color.
3) financial situation changed on them.

Has anyone here thought about selling their Volt? I'm curious to know why.
4) charging situation changed

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
5) moved out of the country/overseas.
This. There was a guy recently on reddit (and facebook) selling his 2016 he just bought in December... said he was being transferred overseas. One would hope his company made it worth his while; I assume he took a bath on the deal but I don't know details.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
To over simply it, comes down to two categories, life event change or didn't meet expectations...

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Could be any of hundreds of reasons. Maybe the owner died or lost license or went bankrupt or bought a Tesla. It doesn't really matter unless it was a lemon buyback. That's about the only thing that should affect your decision to buy it.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Maybe the owner hit the lottery...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts