GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the new indiegogo campaign by FleetCarma. I received an email from them this morning as I was one of the Volt participants last year when FleetCarma sponsored EV Champion Challenge which the Volt team won.

I got addicted to the data logging capability of the the FleetCarma C5 loggers which were initially developed for fleet use. Looks like FleetCarma has developed a pretty useful app to go along with their hardware. What looks interesting is the battery health meter.

Here's the link:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/myev-by-mycarma-electric-vehicle-logger-app/x/7638426

FleetCarma lists the following 5 reasons for developing this hardware/app combo from user feedback:
1. I want more data than what the dash shows me (ie. % SOC, not bars)
2. I want to keep an eye on the health of my battery.
3. I want to track my range throughout the year to see the impact of the weather, and to compare this to other EV owners in my area.
4. The other data system you use went down. Again.
5. I love my car and want to share my results with others that are in the EV community, and those that are considering becoming EV owners!

FYI, I'm not affiliated with FleetCarma - just a fan of their data logger capability :)

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
I have my doubts about #2. How will they determine this?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have my doubts about #2. How will they determine this?
Apparently their research scientist on staff have developed a mechanism/calculation to simulate "battery health" analog through several years of real world data collection.

Obviously I don't know the actual calculation they are performing to estimate this attribute, but their data collection during my 3 months participation was very extensive.

It's difficult for us Volt drivers to see this day-to-day compared to a LEAF or other BEV drivers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Battery SOH Estimation

Ed,
Thanks a lot for sharing what we are up to with myEV. Noticed a surge in traffic coming from gm-volt and found this thread.

Steverino,
Very fair question/concern. I've seen a few people try and do this with kWh measurement and/or tracking SOC values, which I don't trust at all. For us, we use high-rate battery voltage and current measurements on both charge and discharge to get a good measure of power-fade and capacity-fade. We then normalize the results to give a score out of 100. I'm at 94.7% in my Volt after almost three years and 62,000 miles.

Of all our EV decodes, the Volt gives us some of the best signals for SOH estimation.

Hope that helps! Any other questions/concerns just let me know!
Matt

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Matt,
I hope my initial post was a fair representation of your company's effort. Based on my experience with FleetCarma C5 Data Logger, I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Take care!
Ed

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
As long as it is for the 12 volt battery as I bet more of them have been replaced then the 360 Volt battery.
Plus the car is not going to start if the 12 Volt one goes BAD.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Interesting. I wouldn't mind supporting this at all. Just one question though... will the hardware interfere with any of the CANBUS operations/OnStar, if it uses that connection to gather the data?

I've seen one too many comments on here of how devices plugged into the OBD port causes issues with the vehicle. It's a big reason i haven't used my Kiwi PLX for more than a few minutes at a time on the Volt.

Although, it seems the issue may have to do with some knock-off devices. Some have had success having their readers connected all day long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Ed! Yes, you pretty much nailed it. I'm excited to getting your feedback on what additional signals/views would be most useful to fellow Volt owners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cord, funny you mention that, one of the things people have been asking us to add is a 12V monitor (not SOH to the same level, but simply a status check). The system is already detecting this (the logger shuts itself completely off if the 12V is getting too low), so we are looking to add it in some fashion to the app.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Soundmike, you hit the exact reason why we started building out own hardware. I'd been testing various OBD loggers on my Volt and the one that was our front runner caused 21 DTCs, including "Engine not found. Please service soon". :) The next day we started building our own.

Three years later and thousands of vehicles logged (including a lot of Volts) I feel confident in saying we won't impact your vehicle. It means we've invested a bit more in the hardware and build it here instead of overseas but I was getting tired of cheap hardware messing with my vehicle.

With solid hardware there's a lot we can do with the app, so I definitely hope we get enough interest to make this happen!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting! Sounds like a very nice tool to have. We do already have lots of info with voltstat, myvolt and onstar but would be interested to know exactly what more it can show. "I want more data than what the dash shows me (ie. % SOC, not bars)" can you give us more details on that, do you have the list of stats it would give to our Volts for example?

120-160$, certainly not cheap tho but I understand that this will be a much more quality product made for EV's and the associated costs of R&D needs to be taken into account, but I wish it were closer to the 99$ mind barrier.

Still, very tempting. Thanks for trying to go with such a project!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all,

It's been a while since the last post, so I just wanted to give a super-quick update (if it's ok).

We have surpassed our $25k goal raising nearly $27,000 thus far, which means our myEV project is a go! Thank you to everyone here who has already supported us.

There are 4 days left in the campaign, so you still have a chance to back us if you're hangin' on the fence. If you have any last-minute questions, post it in this thread, and one of Matt or I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Matt,

It appears that your crowd sourced fund raising project is now closed. Does this mean that you only intend to produce the 205 myEV units that you are committed to? Or will the myEV product eventually go into production and be available as is your fleet product?

Thanks,
Jim
I missed myself their time frame windows but I entered my email on their waiting list
http://www.mycarma.com/products/myev/reserve-spot/

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I sort of wonder if this device is on GM's approved list of ODB scanners?

Some owners have reported having the Volt BRICKED and needing a TOW TO THE DEALER after plugging in unapproved data loggers into the ODBII connector. The solution was to UNPLUG the ODBII device and reset all of the computers. The Volt has a lot of complex communication going on. Devices that are not specifically aware of the unique ODB communication requirements can JAMM the BUSS and STOP the Volt DEAD.

See: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?15278-DEAD-VOLT-II&highlight=ODBII+problem

Just be careful about what you plug in to the ODBII connector. (I believe Dash Daq devices are approved and seem to work OK.)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have a dash daq connected for 2 years now. A little pricey but the diagnostic and reset alone have saved a lot of wasted time. Everything from restoring power steering to clearing the dreaded reduced power fault on restart. While later Dash Daqs can not read it there is an LG/GM PID for battery health over time...used by dealer to find early loss of capacity vs. rate. This is not the SOC PID.

Ditto the bricking while poking around the OB2 bus with 3rd party readers. I did it with the android app torque and a Bluetooth bus reader. No permanent harm but it did require a trip to the dealer.......before I got the Dash Daq.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm happy to report that the myEV OBDII unit did not brick my MY2014 Volt. I just installed it yesterday easily, and without any issues.

I'll have more to report once I spend a some more time driving around with the logger, but I'm excited about the option of collecting my data without having to use the unreliable OnStar API (via Voltstats) as a proxy.

·
Registered
827 Posts
When did you receive it lauts? I tried following up with MyCarma on the status of mine, but haven't heard back yet. After a few delays since October, the units were supposed to ship in January.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@soundmike--

I received it a couple weeks ago, although I haven't had much luck syncing over the past 3-4 days.

There was an issue with the iOS version of the app, so I think they delayed sending out hardware to iPhone users. This may actually be one of the few cases where the Android version of an app (and associated hardware) actually shipped first!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts