GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like they are actually separate panels that could come off so I could take them to a paint shop. Anyone know if this is actually the case? I need to get my bumper cover painted anyway and it probably won't cost much more to throw in a couple extra parts if I take them all off first.

The car looks so much better with body color lowers.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Gen 1 or Gen 2? The annoying rubbing rubber airdam up front and those weird rocker panels that stop at the bottom forward edge of the doors allowing the doors to look like they're hanging over the rocker line...is very odd indeed. I've always wanted to either body color that situation, or - a more novel and so far undone tactic: taping a straight edged line across the bottoms of the doors and having a paint shop match the gray plastic rocker color across that straight line! I wanted to do that - maybe I will. It looks good if you draw it up on paper. It looks much more like the pre-production Volt concept ( 2010 show cars, one black, one silver ) that toured the auto show circuit.

Gen 2 is another complete story - no incongrous lines. It flows straight from front to back. The rocker and rear under-bumper panel is gloss black also. I think the black Gen 2s look great as they just blend into the gloss black underspoiler plastic strip, the rockers and the gloss black Volt area on the front qtr. panels. I also like the Gen 2's gloss black features on the white and blue cars. To me, no need to body color those items on the Gen 2.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Instead of paint, try plastidip. If you don't like it you can always peel it off to get back to the original color.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It looks like they are actually separate panels that could come off so I could take them to a paint shop. Anyone know if this is actually the case? I need to get my bumper cover painted anyway and it probably won't cost much more to throw in a couple extra parts if I take them all off first.

The car looks so much better with body color lowers.
The side rockers and rear diffuser panel can be removed for painting.
Be sure to get a quote BEFORE going through the effort. Prep/paint isn't usually as cheap as some people assume :)

It's a great mod, keep us posted.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Gen 1 or Gen 2? The annoying rubbing rubber airdam up front and those weird rocker panels that stop at the bottom forward edge of the doors allowing the doors to look like they're hanging over the rocker line...is very odd indeed. I've always wanted to either body color that situation, or - a more novel and so far undone tactic: taping a straight edged line across the bottoms of the doors and having a paint shop match the gray plastic rocker color across that straight line! I wanted to do that - maybe I will. It looks good if you draw it up on paper. It looks much more like the pre-production Volt concept ( 2010 show cars, one black, one silver ) that toured the auto show circuit.

Gen 2 is another complete story - no incongrous lines. It flows straight from front to back. The rocker and rear under-bumper panel is gloss black also. I think the black Gen 2s look great as they just blend into the gloss black underspoiler plastic strip, the rockers and the gloss black Volt area on the front qtr. panels. I also like the Gen 2's gloss black features on the white and blue cars. To me, no need to body color those items on the Gen 2.
Like this?
View attachment 105513

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine IS a 2013 gen 1 - Silver base model.

I also really like the black rear hatch panel on the 11 and 12 model. I think I like the contrast, and it makes it look more... special? I suppose I really like all kinds of tasteful contrast on a car, although the rockers being painted I always think of cheaper or more rugged vehicles like a honda element, pontiac aztec, or subaru brat. No idea why they thought this was a good idea with the volt other than to stand out a little more.

Instead of paint, try plastidip. If you don't like it you can always peel it off to get back to the original color.
Ya, but how the heck would you color match it? I have silver, but unless you have black or white that would be really hard. Maybe I can try to find a color that is close, but error on the slightly darker side so it just minimizes the effect, and then run the line all the way across the door as suggested above. I honestly am surprised that nobody has done this. It was my immediate thought the very first time I saw the car. It doesn't stand out as much on cars with the darker color, but in silver and white I think it looks really silly. This is why I feel like it's high on my mod priority list.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
This has always bothered me as well. GM really goofed on that detail. The picture above looks great. No body color paint matching needed since it looks like he raised the rocker line with black color. The line appears to match up well with the front and rear bumper line.

Probably plasti dip. He did the grills as well. Very nice overall improvement for a modest investment, and it is reversible.

I have never worked with plasti dip. Does it have to be fully masked off and sprayed, or is there a way to brush it on for a quickie job?

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Mine IS a 2013 gen 1 - Silver base model.

I also really like the black rear hatch panel on the 11 and 12 model. I think I like the contrast, and it makes it look more... special? I suppose I really like all kinds of tasteful contrast on a car, although the rockers being painted I always think of cheaper or more rugged vehicles like a honda element, pontiac aztec, or subaru brat. No idea why they thought this was a good idea with the volt other than to stand out a little more.

Ya, but how the heck would you color match it? I have silver, but unless you have black or white that would be really hard. Maybe I can try to find a color that is close, but error on the slightly darker side so it just minimizes the effect, and then run the line all the way across the door as suggested above. I honestly am surprised that nobody has done this. It was my immediate thought the very first time I saw the car. It doesn't stand out as much on cars with the darker color, but in silver and white I think it looks really silly. This is why I feel like it's high on my mod priority list.
My car is a white diamond tricoat, which is even harder to match exactly. i used plastidip pearlizer on top of white plastidip for my Chevy logo in the back, and it's pretty close. Doing my rockers was going to be next unless I get fired from my job or something, then I'll be dipping the entire car in some crazy deep purple alien dip pearl color. So far it's the honey do list that is preventing me from dipping my rockers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nevitt33, in answer to your question do the rocker panels come off, yes they do. There are a total of 5 screws holding it from the front and rear wheelhouses and 23 arrowhead-shaped clips on the panel. The problem is that some of these clips will break when the panel is removed. I replaced a gouged right side rocker in January and 11 of those 23 clips broke off during removal. The arrowheads then have to be fished out of the mounting holes. The new rocker came with all new clips so the breakage wasn't that much of a problem for me. But you should check to see if those clips are sold separately before pulling the panels. Also, I'd get a price from the body shop before removing them. Those panels are about seven feet long so prep and paint costs could be substantial.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Odd it works for me on my phone??

Try looking at threads started by me I don't have many and titled "My 2012 Volt Upgrades ."

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have ordered some White Rocker panels off of ebay. Waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can install them. The tag on both panels tell me they go on the OPEL Ampera.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts