GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be moving on to another vehicle, but no one needs to worry, I'll still be a very active poster here! :D

I've had great luck with beepi but they're not buying 2017s just yet, I could and might wait it out another month...

Car has 1300 miles, basically perfect, $36,2XX MSRP...LT, leather, comfort, bose and interior protection...Anyone care to take a guess? I'll give one hint, it ends in whole thousands so $XX,000...

·
Registered
270 Posts
$24,000 ???

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I will offer you $XX,300 which is $300 more than they offered. Good thing they still offered a comma with the numbers.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
$18,000 or half of MSRP. If they offered more than that, take it!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's between $24K & $28K so there's only 3 choices left...Who'll guess it first?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I believe they include the $7,500 tax credit in the mix when you are trading in a Volt. Thats why you should always get the best deal on a new volt. We got over $11,000 off msrp on our 2016 Volt. With gas prices $2.50 / gal. or less, oil is already now below $42 / BBl and falling, Volt's will not sell very well. Most buyers are prior Volt or hybrid buyers when they buy a Volt.

I would bet that GM will offer the 20% off MSRP on all the left over 2017 Volts in a few weeks or so. They know it really worked on the 2016's....

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$25k

Why are you selling it so early into ownership?
Ding ding ding, you got it! I got it cheap with the intention of selling it if I didn't like it...I gave the car the old college try, I'm younger than most, I actually like loud cars (not to mention my radio and HVAC are always on)...I'll add I live where I cannot charge but there's a free charging station next door that has served me well...Above all its just the stigma/lack of respect of the Volt I just don't care for...With model year end, there are a ton of cheap leases out there and I'll be spending all weekend test driving...I have two deals lined up, another 2 which are a few hundred apart but I haven't test drove any of these yet that's the next step...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Ding ding ding, you got it! I got it cheap with the intention of selling it if I didn't like it...I gave the car the old college try, I'm younger than most, I actually like loud cars (not to mention my radio and HVAC are always on)...I'll add I live where I cannot charge but there's a free charging station next door that has served me well...Above all its just the stigma/lack of respect of the Volt I just don't care for...With model year end, there are a ton of cheap leases out there and I'll be spending all weekend test driving...I have two deals lined up, another 2 which are a few hundred apart but I haven't test drove any of these yet that's the next step...
You were able to own the car without losing a dime . That is a very rare occurrence with most vehicles .

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Stigma? Lack of respect? Some people I encounter are curious about it maybe even impressed after a conversation and most others don't even notice it. Hardly a stigma or lack of respect.

It's more like a ringer or sleeper.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
You were able to own the car without losing a dime . That is a very rare occurrence with most vehicles .
Unlikely when all fees and taxes are included. Sale tax is what almost 3K alone in CA, and since the OP is talking about a lease, all that sales tax paid doesn't get a discounted. The OP will also have to return the 1500 CARB if he got that, it has a claw back provision if you sell the car before 3 years I have read.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is correct that I lease. I will have to pay back the Cali incentive, the way it's structured is $50/mo ($1500/30 months). In my case if I sell in August then I'd owe $1250.

I did check beepi weekly and to my surprise this morning they accepted the MY17 which was not the case yesterday! They're coming tomorrow for the inspection but said I'd get a quote in 24 hours (it's usually instant) will report back...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stigma? Lack of respect? Some people I encounter are curious about it maybe even impressed after a conversation and most others don't even notice it. Hardly a stigma or lack of respect.

It's more like a ringer or sleeper.
This is what I said in another in another thread:

"First, do what makes you happy, don't let my opinion or anyone else's take that away...If your private transportation makes you happy by consuming less oil, its all good...We don't have updated stats but the a few years ago the average Volt owner was 51 years old; it is the perfect post mid-life crisis or retirement car...Most the 51 year old Volt owners have already owned a fast/performance vehicle before the Volt...There's still the stigma which comes along with driving it both from outsiders and insiders (other EV owners)...Want to see a frustrating look on someone's face? Watch a pure EV driver pull up to chargers all occupied by slow-charging Volts...I'm very social through beach volleyball, I've had some fun before with meeting new players and talking cars...Chat up an attractive bikini-clad player, all smiles, ask them "what do you think is worse, a Prius or a Volt?" What do you think the most common answer is? It's no direct answer, either they ignore the question or ask why I'm asking such a question...I take it all in good stride, the friends and I will always joke around when something "bad" happens (waitress/bartender takes forever or gets an order wrong) "She found out I drive a Volt!"

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
It is correct that I lease. I will have to pay back the Cali incentive, the way it's structured is $50/mo ($1500/30 months). In my case if I sell in August then I'd owe $1250.

I did check beepi weekly and to my surprise this morning they accepted the MY17 which was not the case yesterday! They're coming tomorrow for the inspection but said I'd get a quote in 24 hours (it's usually instant) will report back...
Post how much they offer for your Volt. They told me that for EVs/2016s, they are reluctant to give guaranteed offers due to high volatility of resale prices....most likely they will give you an option of a higher "non-guaranteed" offer, or a lower "guaranteed sale in 30 days" offer.

I listed my Spark EV under a non-guaranteed offer, and it never sold because they priced it way too high, and I wasn't willing to take the guaranteed offer, which was no better than Carmax's offer. Hence why I am now trading in the Spark for another one. Coupled with a free L2 EVSE, most likely I'll have better success selling the new Spark privately.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Am I becoming an Alcoholic ?

Friends ask, How do you start out in the morning?

I answer,,,,I usually start out with a Bacardi !

Thanks for all of your useful and well written contributions to the "Discussions" that we enjoy on this marvelously active site !!

·
Registered
430 Posts

"First, do what makes you happy, don't let my opinion or anyone else's take that away...If your private transportation makes you happy by consuming less oil, its all good...We don't have updated stats but the a few years ago the average Volt owner was 51 years old; it is the perfect post mid-life crisis or retirement car...Most the 51 year old Volt owners have already owned a fast/performance vehicle before the Volt...There's still the stigma which comes along with driving it both from outsiders and insiders (other EV owners)...Want to see a frustrating look on someone's face? Watch a pure EV driver pull up to chargers all occupied by slow-charging Volts...I'm very social through beach volleyball, I've had some fun before with meeting new players and talking cars...Chat up an attractive bikini-clad player, all smiles, ask them "what do you think is worse, a Prius or a Volt?" What do you think the most common answer is? It's no direct answer, either they ignore the question or ask why I'm asking such a question...I take it all in good stride, the friends and I will always joke around when something "bad" happens (waitress/bartender takes forever or gets an order wrong) "She found out I drive a Volt!"
I think you should keep your Volt if you like it, and you could promote its virtues such as being able to drive 50+ miles fully electric. Don't be concerned with the average buyer's age. It's what you want and are comfortable with. However, if you are really sure you want to move on to something else, you could also consider a 100% EV like a Tesla. There are lower cost CPOs and lease takeover options (e.g. Swapalease.com) for the Model S available now, and similar options for the Model X are available too, but fewer in number since it's in its first year.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello.... If you really can get 25K for a 2017 LT volt trade in, then it is possible that it may be cheaper to buy a new volt every year, get the tax credit and then trade it in the following year. Probally cheaper then leasing. There may or must be a limit on the federal tax credit, but I do not recall reading so.
There are several 2017 listed at 29K on cars.com, but that may be with all kinds of incentives and with the tax credit deducted also. I have not called as I am just curious. 29-7.5K-25-fees ect ect=???

·
Registered
3,634 Posts

Your opinion. I guess I disagree.

My observation is most don't even care or think about it. I think the stigma thing might be more imagined than real. Maybe it matters to some teenagers or someone in their twenties. Heck an increasing number of youngsters aren't even anxious to get a drivers license, never mind a car or which car. Use whatever rationale works for you. I think the average Corvette owner is more like 65.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts