GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the various articles (e.g. this one http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/02/05/report-gm-plans-to-produce-a-cheaper-volt/) about how the Volt is due to get a price reduction next year, I think GM should follow the Apple lead on the original iPhone. I was one of the original iPhone adopters who saw the price reduction a few months later. After suitable outrage and typical stonewalling, CEO Jobs agreed to give early adopters a store credit for half the difference. It was a sufficient gesture to make us feel like we were not being totally hosed and we ended up buying another Apple product.

I think GM should do the same. If we see a big price drop in the Volt due to volume etc., GM should offer credit for early adopters toward the purchase of a new GM car. It won't satisfy everyone, but it should be reasonably inexpensive for GM and would be a strong gesture that GM values the early adopters.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With the various articles (e.g. this one http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/02/05/report-gm-plans-to-produce-a-cheaper-volt/) about how the Volt is due to get a price reduction next year, I think GM should follow the Apple lead on the original iPhone. I was one of the original iPhone adopters who saw the price reduction a few months later. After suitable outrage and typical stonewalling, CEO Jobs agreed to give early adopters a store credit for half the difference. It was a sufficient gesture to make us feel like we were not being totally hosed and we ended up buying another Apple product.
I completely disagree.
I paid a price for the Volt that I am willing to pay. In common with most customers, I think the price will drop in the future. If I wanted to pay less, I'd wait (and hope). And in the interim I wouldn't have the satisfaction of using the Volt I currently have. No-one is forcing you to buy anything.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think every early adopter buying a VOLT knows the price is high for the initial roll out will go down at some point. The VOLT is different than an i-phone. GM has a lot of R&D investment to recoup. I doubt the price will drop until they hit the 200K delivery point. That means a price drop is about 2 years away, not two months like the i-phone.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I think GM should do the same. If we see a big price drop in the Volt due to volume etc., GM should offer credit for early adopters toward the purchase of a new GM car. It won't satisfy everyone, but it should be reasonably inexpensive for GM and would be a strong gesture that GM values the early adopters.
No, I think you're wrong on this one. I too bought the very first iPhone. I also bought one of the first batches of Chrysler's PT Cruiser. Both were premium-priced at first, and both prices plummeted later on. I paid what I paid because I wanted them NOW, not later. I wanted to play with them NOW, show them off (yes, that's my ego talking) to my family and friends NOW, and own something that few others had - even if for a fleeting moment - NOW.

If it's worth it to you to own something new and cool NOW - before everyone else has it (or a clone of "it") - then saddle up to the bar, pay the premium and get it NOW. If not, wait until later. No company owes me anything for buying a Version 1.0 product when they come out with Version 2.0-and-up products that are better and cheaper.

That's just Econ 101.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Yes I think GM will make the base MY '12 Volt for less cost. But I expect a MY '12 Volt configured similarly to a MY '11 Volt to cost the customer just as much, if not more. In other words, GM might actually make some profit on the MY '12, whereas they aren't on MY '11.

I expect MY '12 will have lots more options, with an un-optioned base unit costing GM *and* the customer less. But if you want all the features cramed into the MY '11 for "free"? That's probably gonna cost.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The 7500 dollar tax credit is your price reduction. The Credit is a way for GM to recoup the introduction/R&D ($1.5B) cost in the first 200,000 cars. As a tax payer the money was gone anyway as taxes. With the credit you get it back and hand it over to GM, Just another way of moving the tax money around. Gives the buyer the discount to pay for the inflated price. I have always said that the price would drop to the low 30K price point because that is the price point that these cars can sell at as compared to other Hybrids and electrics.

P

·
Registered
127 Posts
For the sake of it, I'll point out that Apple had a lot of R&D investment to recoup from the iPhone as well...
Apple didn't pay alot for R&D for the iPhone. I'm sure they spent time and money on the software (UI), but the hardware was a generation behind when it came out (i.e. no SMS, copy and paste, camera, screen resolution, etc...)

The Volt isn't a generation behind in any area. The only real complaint about the Volt is size of ICE and weight of car.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Early adopters for any technology will pay a higher price. The first VCRs were in the $1000s, and I paid $549 for my VCR in 1979. Now they are obsolete but the last ones were selling for less than $100 and had more features than the first ones. The first IBM PC cost over $2000, yet had only 64KB of RAM, a 4.77 MHz 16-bit 8086 CPU, a monochrome display, a 180 KB diskette drive, no hard drive, and only DOS. Now for $400 you get a 2 GHz or more 64-bit CPU, 2 GB RAM, a 300 GB hard drive, a 19-inch LCD color monitor, a HDMI interface, and Windows 7.

The first automobiles would cost about three to four years of income, but now you can buy a vehicle with only six months of income with more features and better ecomomy than the older models. The Votl is an exception and costs more now because of its high technology level, but in less than ten years most of its technology will appear in other GM vehicles and in some of their competitor vehicles for a lesser price.

I am also a pioneer buyer and I would pay the $41,000 for the Volt, but it isn't available yet in my area. So I wait patiently and began saving for the down payment. I may buy an expensive vehicle, but I would be one of the first. And that is a premium I and many others are willing to pay for.

Raymomd

·
1,308 Posts

I think GM should do the same.
The reason people were upset about the iPhone was that Apple dropped the price by 1/3 after 2 months. That would be like GM announcing next week that they are immediately dropping the price of the current model year Volt by around $12,000. Yeah, I think people like me who just got their Volts would be surprised and angry.

If GM drops the price by $199 or even $1999 next model year I won't be surprised or angry.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I for one will be happy if they drop the price.

First and foremost because it will make it accessible to more buyers.

And it will mean the other Voltec powered vehicles would be more likely to get the green light.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The price will drop when the 200,000 cars (Unless they raise it to 500,000 cars) are sold and the 7500 dollar credit is gone. Then they will pobably go to the model they use for most cars and offer the Volt in a number of trim levels. My feeling is that the price for current early adopters will not be any different then someone buying a full tricket out Volt at a lower starting price. Yes, Apple screwed up when they lowered the price so fast. Although I think they had an eye on the future competition.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I think you're wrong on this one...
I completely disagree...
I think every early adopter buying a VOLT knows the price is high...
The 7500 dollar tax credit is your price reduction...
Early adopters for any technology will pay a higher price...
Ok, ok UNCLE!

Like all of you, I am buying the MY2011 Volt. Mine is already ordered and has a non-refundable deposit. I am willing to pay the price they are asking. I even think it is a very good deal versus, say, a comparably equipped BMW 3 series.

I was just offering a suggestion to encourage GM to give a little extra love to us early adopters if and when the time came. But clearly no consensus on this idea. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts