GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to quickly reflect on my last 3 years with the Volt. It's a lease that we'll be returning in a couple weeks. We just bought a Clarity which has better legroom for our growing kiddos (ages 8 and 12).

Overall, I loved this car. My main goal was to burn very little fuel without having range anxiety, and on this front the Volt delivered completely. Most months we didn't burn a drop of fuel, and when we went on road trips we could drive it like a regular car, get great fuel economy (40-50mpg), and it drove great in both scenarios.

I loved the safety features, especially the blindspot monitoring and the cross traffic alerting. The app was fantastic for making sure the car was locked and remote starting it to warm it up. And I'm really going to miss that heated steering wheel - so nice!

I'm disappointed to see that Chevy is going to stop making it - this car was truly a great ambassador of having it all - a PHEV that anyone (well, anyone that doesn't mind a compact car) could love. Thanks to everyone on this forum that helped answer questions (silencing that damn startup sound was a game-changer for me, and I learned it here) and here's to a cleaner, brighter future.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Definitely the discontinuation of the car prevents any future adopters. But glad you chose another hybrid. Enjoy the Clarity! I bought mine, so will be riding it out to the ground (however, I can only hope that there will be volt techs available 10 years from now). Not a good feeling though knowing the new car I just bought 6 months ago is going to be extinct in the next 6 months. oh well...

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
this car was truly a great ambassador of having it all - a PHEV that anyone (well, anyone that doesn't mind a compact car) could love.

Me too. The Volt was the first GM car I bought. I never cared for any of their other offerings. And now I have a Bolt as well. But Volt buyers are not GM's natural customer it seems. That customer wants big trucks apparently.

We had dinner with my brother-in-law last night. He owns trucks in his line of work and insures many as another business. I asked if truck buyers would pay for a Voltec system in a truck. He said no, they want loud and noisy and would not take to a Voltec system even if free.

He enjoyed driving our Bolt, by the way. :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yeah, "loud and noisy", they equate with power. My bro-in-law is like that. Everything he owns is "loud and noisy", from his Yukon XL to his ski boat, to the tuba he played in highschool!

I remember reading a story about Hoover vacuums. Back in the day, Hoovers weren't selling, because they were considered noisier than the competition. A marketing exec came up with the idea to market the Hoover's noise, as the sound of power! It sold like hotcakes after that. I don't know if that's where noise and power became synonymous in the American consumer's mind, but I'm sure it didn't hurt to reinforce that notion.

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
Here's a one year review of the Clarity: https://insideevs.com/honda-clarity-phev-one-year-update/

Pros and cons compared to the Volt. Slower, ICE comes on more (having deliberately defeated my Volt's ERDTT, this would bother me), but it sounds like it has nice interior, and of course, it's available (something that wont be said about the Volt by end of next year when inventory is gone).

The author's closing line:
When it comes time to replace the Clarity it will likely be with a BEV, but until then these PHEVs make great stepping stones.
So the Clarity, like the Volt, is seen as a transitional vehicle. The Volt served that purpose for me, it showed me that the Bolt would work for our family without much if any range anxiety. I'm happy that I have both, but could live without the Volt.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
For all you guys complaining about an extinct car... for the last 12 years I've been driving a 1980 TR7 Triumph Spider (hence the screen name). The car was discontinued 1 1/2 year later. The company was no longer in existence 4 years later. 34 years later I have no problem getting parts even though the engine in the car was not imported into N/A in any other car. The only parts not available (new) are a few trim parts like front grills, inside door handle escutcheon, windshield chrome trim. Mind you parts for my '88 Tercel wagon are a lot harder to come by.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Both of our cars are about to become extinct, our Cruze, and our Volt, but I'm not worried.

When I was growing up, my dad had several now long extinct cars:

DKW 900 (2 stroke 900cc)
MG Magnette
Goliath Express (like a VW microbus)
Datsun 2000
VW Thing

Also a couple Oldsmobiles and a Plymouth which are of course extinct now too.

So I'm just following in his footsteps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
Here's a one year review of the Clarity: https://insideevs.com/honda-clarity-phev-one-year-update/

Pros and cons compared to the Volt. Slower, ICE comes on more (having deliberately defeated my Volt's ERDTT, this would bother me), but it sounds like it has nice interior, and of course, it's available (something that wont be said about the Volt by end of next year when inventory is gone).

The author's closing line:

So the Clarity, like the Volt, is seen as a transitional vehicle. The Volt served that purpose for me, it showed me that the Bolt would work for our family without much if any range anxiety. I'm happy that I have both, but could live without the Volt.
I got my Volt about 11 months ago, so I had the luxury of cross shopping a new 2G Volt with a brand new Clarity PHEV. I agree with viking's ownership assessment from a few test drives. The Volt gives a great "short range EV" driving experience, while the Clarity behaves much more like say a Prius Prime with a larger battery pack and slightly more EV power. The Clarity offers a much nicer interior (sorry, can't deny that), while the Volt feels much more sporty, and *WAY* faster if you keep things in EV only territory on the Clarity. The Volt also has a much more usable cargo area due to the hatchback design which I really like. The Volt was also way cheaper due to the cash on the hood you can commonly find on Chevys, while the Honda trends much closer to its MSRP (at least it definitely did then, I fought tooth and nail to get like $1000 off MSRP, while I got way more off the Volt).

I guess I'm a little bitter that such a great option was eliminated from the market place. I feel like if Chevy had come in and bumped up the battery capacity to ~16 kWh usable (maybe ~21 kWh total capacity), they could advertise 60 miles of all EV range, which is trending very close to a 1st gen Leaf. And if they actually increased availability, it'd probably reinvigorate the sales a bit.

But overall, I guess they felt it'd be a tough sell with the fed tax credits expiring, which I can't deny. I don't think I would have bought my Volt if I didn't get the fed tax credit, even though I do thoroughly enjoy owning it. So I struggle to see how PHEVs are going to live without the fed tax credit going forward. BEVs seem to get enough hype to somewhat survive in the more luxury segments, but I don't see how they can feasibly move down market in the near future, as the huge profit margins of the luxury segments hide the huge cost of batteries right now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I keep reading that the Clarity's ICE engages more, too, and I just haven't found that at all in the first 800 miles with it. If you absolutely floor it, sure, it'll turn on, and it turns on when the battery reaches about 10-15% remaining (I suspect the Volt did this too, but the Volt hid the remaining battery on its meter), but other than that, it's never turned on for me. Not saying it doesn't happen to others, just confused about what the variables might be that I'm missing.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was a bit dismayed when, while waiting for our '19 to be built, GM announced the discontinued status of the Volt. I didn't bother me much and we took delivery on 12/31.

Cars come and go. Even the same models get updated and don't resemble the former. Even the Gen 1's don't share much in common with Gen 2's

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts