GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I posted about a Volt 120-V Charging Cord that apparently failed on the same day I delivered the car to the customer. Update: The GM "Volt Task Force" replaced the charging cord. Overnighted a new one right away. The interesting part is that our Service Advisor spoke with a relative of the customer who came in when they picked up the car, and indirectly gave us the impression that someone may have plugged in the 120-V cord into a 240-V socket to see if they could charge the car faster. [Ah-HAA!]

So on all new deliveries we are now being extremely specific on what plug they can use the standard charger on. :confused:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Reminds me of an old Cheech & Chong routine (doesn't everything, LOL). Tommy, "That reminds me of the time I played a a Black Sabbath record on 78 speed." Cheech, "What happened?" Tommy, "I saw God!"

How do you suppose they did it? Did they make an adapter?

I stopped at the outlet mall in Cabazon Saturday (don't ask!). The had an EV charging station with the plugs being the leftover paddles from EV1 days. Didn't I see here once that there was an adapter from that to the Volt plug? Were those even 240v? They didn't say, so I would be a bit nervous about plugging one into the Volt, LOL.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The interesting part is that our Service Advisor spoke with a relative of the customer who came in when they picked up the car, and indirectly gave us the impression that someone may have plugged in the 120-V cord into a 240-V socket to see if they could charge the car faster. [Ah-HAA!]
How would you do that? I don't know how a 240 v receptacle would accept a NEMA 5-15 plug like comes with the Volt charge cord. Who would wire a 110 v receptacle into a 240 v circuit? Did they make a cord with a 240 v plug on one end and a 110 v receptacle on the other?

WVhybrid

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Plugging the portable into 240 volts is an example of why GM should supply a portable dual voltage version with the 2012 Volt. One problem; it may not pass code in some locations. But think of the 240 volt window air conditioner. There is a perfect example of a plug that does work and could be a solution to getting more EV miles into the Volt faster.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In Mexico and South America it's common to have 220/240 V using the same 120V plug. But I don't think they were plugging in south of the border....lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
If anybody wants to attempt to do this, please first open the Level 1 EVSE and check the components. The LEAF Level 1 unit has a 120 volt transformer that would (and has) blown up if plugged into a 240 volt outlet. Some people have figured out how to swap the transformer with a dual-voltage switching power supply, but they also had to replace some of the on-board components to support the higher voltage.

If you want to post some pictures and part numbers, some of us might be able to help identify what would need to be done...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts