GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I start building a Ford Focus Electric and this is what I get

http://bp3.ford.com/2014-Ford-Focus?branding=1&lang=en#/Exterior/Config%5B%7CFord%7CFocus%7C2014%7C1%7C1.%7C.P3R.....HAT.ELC.44H.RET.BEV.%5D

Can the price in Maine (zip 04102) really be under $20k before incentives? I contacted two local dealers who apparently are both "Certified EV Dealers" in Maine. Both dealers tell me they do not sell the Focus EV. What? A third certified dealer does not know what this is about. They all want to sell me an ICE Titanium Focus because 76 miles is terrible in Maine. Wow again. Elon Musk was correct that the traditional dealers do not want to invest their time and money into a small product. That 2016 Volt is looking better and better every day. EV friends, I guess it is really up to us to do our homework.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Focus electric starts at 29.

·
8,680 Posts
Over $10k in customer cash? Wow. That's odd. Pity it isn't a better car. I think any pure BEV needs a DCFC connector of some sort. (Really, I think any EV of any stripe should have one, but for a battery only car it's essential for any longer driving.)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Problem with focus, as you found, is finding one.
There were zero in all of Ontario for me to test drive.
Ford lost the sale, and I'm happy I picked the volt instead.
Though instead of range anxiety, I have gas anxiety. Only used 3L in 6 months, I think I'm doing OK ;)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The price is after "available incentives". Given the weather in Maine I'd pass on a limited range BEV.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Under Additional Disclosures:
"S3 Offers shown may not be available to all customers. Incentives lists are examples of offers available at the time of posting and are subject to change and expiration. Not all incentives can be redeemed together. To take advantage of rebates, incentives and/or financing offers you must take new retail delivery from dealer stock by the expiration date noted. Not all buyers will qualify for Ford Credit financing or other offers. Restrictions apply. See your local dealer for complete details."

So, basically, no help at all.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The Ford Focus electric is a nice car, I liked driving it a lot, much better than the Leaf. But it needs about 3 more usable kWh, minimum. And in the north, that winter chill/AER reduction is going to be a real pain in the winter. At a net price of $22,500 it is a very nice city car, but I would think it would make more sense south of the Mason Dixon Line.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Nissan offers $3500 extra discount for financing through them, apparently. Not sure if that deal is still going on.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Yep - People complain about how lousy of a job GM is doing advertising and selling the Volt. But compared to Ford's effort on the part of the Focus EV it is quite great! The Focus EV could certainly sell in higher numbers if they put a little effort into it. I get the impression most people that buy them have to practically beg a dealer for it.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
The Ford Focus electric is a nice car, I liked driving it a lot, much better than the Leaf. But it needs about 3 more usable kWh, minimum. And in the north, that winter chill/AER reduction is going to be a real pain in the winter. At a net price of $22,500 it is a very nice city car, but I would think it would make more sense south of the Mason Dixon Line.
More sense. The real killer for northern climates isn't the range, it's the lack of QC, which could provide quick "emergency charging". For cold winter locations you just need to treat the car as having a shorter range. You'd need to do the same with the Volt, but only as a matter of "Can I afford this car?"

Also note that the OP's from the Portland area, where the winter temperatures are a couple of degrees warmer than where I live in Central Maine. Not that it doesn't get icy blasts, but when talking winter lows, every degree helps.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
So, basically, no help at all.
Yeah, seems designed to confuse you. I had to dig. Note that the discount is called "RCL". RCL stands for Red Carpet Leasing. If you look at what's included you'll find that the $7500 is included. AFAIK looks like $2500 lease cash and $7500 tax credit. That matches the leasing offer, which is $159/month for 24 months with $2000 down. That's $13K for two years. Given the residual should be $18.5K for a $29K car after two years, it's about on track.

But even $259/month, which is pretty much what this is, is not a bad price for a car if your per kWh price is low.

That said, very disingenuous advertising. I'd actually call it false advertising. Surprising for a major manufacturer. Things must not be going well at Ford lately.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good comments

Thanks for all the comments. Lots of good perspective.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts