GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do new Chevrolet Volts still have the fob code for making a key if both fobs are lost?

Our 2019 didn't come with one, but our others did.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the key tags for our '19 that we picked up on 12/31. There's a number at the top that appears to be the 'code'. I should have taken it to our local locksmith when I took the blank to have it cut for the third key fob that I like to have for our vehicles, but I just had the blank 'copied'. I guess I could ask them if my curiousness continues :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do new Chevrolet Volts still have the fob code for making a key if both fobs are lost?

Our 2019 didn't come with one, but our others did.
I have the 2017 Volt Premier and the first thing the sales man told me after signing the papers was to put the key barcodes in a safe place.
The barcodes on my Volt were attachted to the fob/key and he told me to put them with my car paperwork in a very safe place because I would need
them to replace or toe create a new key/fob. As he didn't know much about the VOLT itself, I was assuming that all the Chevy cars come with this
barcode and that it is a pretty important part in replacing those key/fobs. I made up a special envelope and filed with the paperwork so I know exactly
where those special bar codes are being stored. It will also be easier to retrieve when I get rid of the VOLT and I won't have to run around like a
chicken with its head cut off trying to find them. He did say that without those barcodes, replacing the key/fob would be an adventure.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts