GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have their engine check light come on after driving about a week in FMM? I see in the manual that old fuel can cause the engine check light to come on, but wondering if it is okay to drive it that way to get the fuel level done more. I'm at a little over 1/4 tank. According to the manual the big concern with the engine check light is when it starts blinking and mine hasn't. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Add a few gallons of gas to dilute the old gas and see if it goes away. Check your oil life indicator and maybe time to get an oil and filter change. I believe the recommendation is to change it when advised by the oil life indicator, but not to exceed 2 years between changes.

Otherwise, go see a dealer.

·
Registered
874 Posts
See if there's a shop near you that does free CEL diagnosis. The first time mine came on, it wasn't blinking either, but the car wouldn't restart after that. Yours probably isn't that serious, but I know that there is a service bulletin about engine misfires that people were reporting in FMM and EMM.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
push the onstar button - if you still have that option to get the codes.

Think 2012 Volts were last year that did not add time to oil life %

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. The check engine light finally went off. I failed to mention the car is a 2018 with a little over 11,000 miles and it just turned a year old. I'm going to add 3 or 4 gals of gas today after my last trip which will have it down to about 15 miles of range. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Gas usage habits vary greatly among Volt drivers. In the 6+ years I’ve been driving my 2012 Volt, I exceed my battery range by a couple of miles perhaps once every two months or so (99+% ev driving around home), but also, approximately once a year, I take long vacation drives of 1000+ miles, and try to get a final gas fill up on the return trip when I’m ~100+ miles from home, so I have plenty of gas to make it home with no problems and have plenty left in the tank to eliminate range anxiety for most of the year when I’ve driving on battery power.

Sometimes I don’t depart on my long trip within 12 months of arriving home, as a result of which I’ve experienced 3 FMMs (none included a check engine light). When that happens, I drive until the old gas is used up and then fill up my tank at the conclusion of the FMM, rather than just adding the minimum. I know that after 12 months of local driving, it most likely won’t be long before I’ll be heading off on my next long trip with this nearly full gas tank, but just in case I don’t take a long trip, by emptying the tank before adding new gas, my next FMM will be postponed for 12 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts