GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Volt 2014 from USA and found a strange glitch in the radio: I can tune to odd frequencies (such as 101.9 FM), but cannot tune to even ones (such as 101.8 FM). The problem is that most FM stations have even frequencies, and I cannot listen them.

Please help me to fix this.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Agreed. You MIGHT be able to get lucky and your dealership can reprogram the tuner to accept even numbers, but here in the states all FM radios tune only odd numbers. Otherwise, your only option would be to get a compatible head unit for the Volt that can tune even numbers. The Opel Ampera is basically a Volt, but not sure if the head unit is compatible. I know here in the states there are other models that use the same part number as the Volt radio. Basically its like region locking for DVD's. Sometimes it's hard coded into the hardware and other times it can be disabled through software.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If the volt is not sold in your country, it may not be compatible (even with a software update).
We only use the odd frequencies in North America. The hardware may only accept those frequencies.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There is a program for the radio that is for Europe, also for China and for North America. Not sure what is changed when the program is changed but this may help with your issue.

Why my radio bought from USA does not work well in Europe ? Radio broadcasting have differences between USA and Europe. Because of that some radios bought form USA do not work well in Europe and in the other way. Thid document tries to clear out what are those differences. FM broadcasts North American FM broadcast channels are on the odd 200KHz frequencies: 99.5MHz, 100.1MHz, etc. In Europe, channels can be on any multiple of 100KHz, even or odd. This means that a digital tuner from the USA will not tune European stations properly, resulting in distortion. Some tuner models are switchable between the two schemes, but these are rare. Frequency synthesizing tuners in Europe do their actual tuning in shorter steps (for example 25 kHz). With analogue tuners you have no such problem because they aren't stepped anyway. Be aware that FM stations in Europe use a different pre-emphasis than those in North America, 75 and 50 microseconds respectively. AM broadcasts Same for AM, the difference is 10 kHz steps in the US vs. 9 kHz steps in Europe.

Read more at: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/radio/radio_differences.html

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
USB tuners are cheap enough to be worth a try. See if you can find one that tunes European frequencies. It just might work.

·
Registered
790 Posts
A long time ago I had an aftermarket radio in my first car that had a switch/setting to change between US and EU frequencies. I always found it interesting how the US frequencies were represented like "101.9", "102.1", etc... but the EU ones were displayed as "100.80"

No point to this but I'd be surprised if the radio can't be programmed for EU use - may just need to bring it to a dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts